The best way to buy a camera as a tourist in the US?

Old April 26th 05, 06:24 PM
JohaN

Default The best way to buy a camera as a tourist in the US?

I'm buying myself a EOS 20D the next time I'm visiting the US. (That way I
can save about 35 % when I don't have to pay Swedish taxes and duty...) I'm
visiting friends in NM and TX (Albuquerque, Las Cruces and El Paso).

What do you think is the best way to buy the camera? I run into trouble with
many US Internet stores since I have a Swedish credit card and no US
address. I also want to avoid any trouble with the delivery since I only
stay in one place (within the US) for a few days at the time.

What stores are really reliable and would consider keeping a specific camera
in store for me on a specific date? Or is there a smart way to solve this
over the Internet and arrange the delivery to my friends in NM/TX?

Old April 26th 05, 06:34 PM
Jeremy Nixon

JohaN wrote:

What do you think is the best way to buy the camera? I run into trouble with
many US Internet stores since I have a Swedish credit card and no US
address. I also want to avoid any trouble with the delivery since I only
stay in one place (within the US) for a few days at the time.

Have your friend order it, and then you pay him when you get there.

Trying to order it with your Swedish credit card for delivery to a US
address is probably going to cause a problem, yes.

Note that if you buy the camera in a store, you will have to pay sales
tax. For the two states you are planning to visit: Texas has a sales
tax of 6.25%, and New Mexico doesn't have sales tax but does have what
they call a "gross receipts tax", and since the store will pass it on
to the customer, it amounts to the same thing, and varies from 5% to
just over 7%. If that still works out to be cheaper, that might be
the way to go if you don't want to ask your friend to lay out the
money for you.

--
Jeremy |
Old April 26th 05, 10:39 PM
Jeremy Nixon

John A. Stovall wrote:

As a Texan who stays up nights thinking of way to be our actually 8
1/2% sales taxes,

Geez, they raised it? I even went to Google to verify before posting...

--
Jeremy |
Old April 27th 05, 12:56 AM
Alan Browne

John A. Stovall wrote:

Oh, cars sales tax is based on State rate only.

In Quebec, general foodstuff is not taxed. Unless purchased hot from
the oven in a boulangerie, croissanterie, bagel house. Then it's a hot
food service and then it's taxed. Twice. Even the first tax is taxed.
Total is 15% and a hair.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 27th 05, 05:08 AM
Sheldon

Any major US discount stores that sell electronics should have what you
want:

Wal-Mart
Office Max
Office Depot
Circuit City
Best Buy

Know what you want before you go, however, as the service and advice in
these stores can be pretty bad, but they are popular American discount
stores that will sell you legit equipment without much hassle. Some of
these places will let you order over the Net and will hold the item in the
store, but you can usually just go in and buy it. Many also have low price
guarantees, although the guarantee does not apply to prices you find on the
Net.

Also, most stores will exchange any camera that is not working within so
many days, so I would start using it immediately, as I'm sure you probably
will anyway.

Old April 27th 05, 06:45 AM
JohaN

*smile*
Gee, there's lots of things about US taxes that I didn't know! Thanks for
all input!

As a comparison I can tell you that in Sweden they put on 25 % of taxes on
all merchandise except books (5 %) and food (18 %). In addition we have duty
an most privately imported stuff and extra taxes on for example gas. Current
pricing on gas is 11 SEK per liter, approximately 5 USD per gallon.

Old April 27th 05, 06:46 AM
JohaN

Any major US discount stores that sell electronics should have what you
want:

Wal-Mart
Office Max
Office Depot
Circuit City
Best Buy

I'll look into that.

Know what you want before you go, however, as the service and advice in
these stores can be pretty bad, but they are popular American discount
stores that will sell you legit equipment without much hassle. Some of
these places will let you order over the Net and will hold the item in the
store, but you can usually just go in and buy it. Many also have low
price guarantees, although the guarantee does not apply to prices you find
on the Net.

Also, most stores will exchange any camera that is not working within so
many days, so I would start using it immediately, as I'm sure you probably
will anyway.

Yes I will... :-)

Thanks!

Old April 27th 05, 01:00 PM
Ken Tough

JohaN wrote:
I'm buying myself a EOS 20D the next time I'm visiting the US. (That way I
can save about 35 % when I don't have to pay Swedish taxes and duty...) I'm
visiting friends in NM and TX (Albuquerque, Las Cruces and El Paso).

What do you think is the best way to buy the camera?

How good friends, are your friends? The best thing would be for you
to pay money into their credit card (you can do it online), and then
they order it from B&H for you, to be delivered to their house.

--
Ken Tough
Old April 27th 05, 03:53 PM
leo

JohaN wrote:
*smile*
Gee, there's lots of things about US taxes that I didn't know! Thanks for
all input!

As a comparison I can tell you that in Sweden they put on 25 % of taxes on
all merchandise except books (5 %) and food (18 %). In addition we have duty
an most privately imported stuff and extra taxes on for example gas. Current
pricing on gas is 11 SEK per liter, approximately 5 USD per gallon.

I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
French people would have wine with their lunch.

Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
country, it's still better off.