MegxonC480

Old November 16th 04, 01:59 PM
J.S.Pitanga

Default MegxonC480

[...] and I can't find any example shots from it anywhere online.

http://www.megxon.com/products/C480/C480.htm

Praktika Luxmedia 4008, Megxon C480 (and even one "Texxon") seem to be the
same camera marketed with different names. In the above link there are
several sample pictures. I remember having read it is made in Taiwan.

J.S.Pitanga
Old November 16th 04, 02:09 PM
J.S.Pitanga

http://www.megxon.com/products/C480/C480.htm
Praktika Luxmedia 4008, Megxon C480 (and even
one "Texxon") seem to be the same camera marketed
with different names. In the above link there are
several sample pictures. I remember having read it
is made in Taiwan.

A link to complement the info above is

http://www.megxon.com/tekxon.htm

which confirms the Taiwanese connections, and gives
the correct name, Tekxon.

J.S.Pitanga
Old November 16th 04, 04:07 PM
Pete Fenelon

J.S.Pitanga wrote:
[...] and I can't find any example shots from it anywhere online.

http://www.megxon.com/products/C480/C480.htm

I'm disinclined to trust manufacturers' example shots because they
usually over-represent the camera, tending to be taken by pros trying to
get the best out of the camera - I want to see what reviewers and,
(ideally) averagely-skilled punters do with it in the field

However, the pics on the manufacturers' site are pretty poor if that's
the best they can do with it! There seems to be bags of noise on
everything, the focus always looks poor, there seem to be quite a few
JPEG artefacts, and the interpolated 8mp picture looks exactly like
a 4mp picture that's been enlarged by a few per cent a few times in
Photoshop. All in all I am not impressed, I'm afraid.

pete
--
"there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Old November 16th 04, 11:21 PM
J.S.Pitanga

[J.S.Pitanga:]
http://www.megxon.com/products/C480/C480.htm

[Peter Fenelon:]
I'm disinclined to trust manufacturers' example
shots [...]

Of course. However even after extensive research I could not find either
reviews or samples from users (I considered to buy the camera a couple of
moths ago).

However, the pics on the manufacturers' site are
pretty poor if that's the best they can do with it!

Definitely. I even suspect that they could have done a little bit better,
given the specifications of the camera.

J.S.Pitanga
Old November 16th 04, 11:29 PM
Larry

In article , says...
J.S.Pitanga wrote:
[...] and I can't find any example shots from it anywhere online.

http://www.megxon.com/products/C480/C480.htm

I'm disinclined to trust manufacturers' example shots because they
usually over-represent the camera, tending to be taken by pros trying to
get the best out of the camera - I want to see what reviewers and,
(ideally) averagely-skilled punters do with it in the field

However, the pics on the manufacturers' site are pretty poor if that's
the best they can do with it! There seems to be bags of noise on
everything, the focus always looks poor, there seem to be quite a few
JPEG artefacts, and the interpolated 8mp picture looks exactly like
a 4mp picture that's been enlarged by a few per cent a few times in
Photoshop. All in all I am not impressed, I'm afraid.

pete

I couldn't find anything truly in focus in any of the example pictures.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old November 17th 04, 12:25 AM
Pete Fenelon

Larry wrote:

I couldn't find anything truly in focus in any of the example pictures.

I was being diplomatic..... the way the colours came out looking as
though they were a cheap holiday postcard (regardless of what I looked
at the images on!) didn't help either...

All in all not a very convincing camera and something that does nothing
for the Praktica name that's been tacked on to it.

pete
--
"there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Old November 18th 04, 08:55 AM
Yuri Drekov

Steve Yelland decided to say......

Does anybody know anything about this cam, is it worth buying?

It is garbage. Sorry to be blunt, but you can do much better. It would be
more rude of me to say it any more politely, as you would be making a huge
mistake by buying this camera.