I knew it, I KNEW IT! New D7100 24mp NO AA filter!!!

Old February 21st 13, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

Default I knew it, I KNEW IT! New D7100 24mp NO AA filter!!!

On 21/02/2013 05:31, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02...ow-pass-filter

As has been discussed many times already here, once the sensor
resolution exceeds that of the lens (in broad terms), there is less need
for a strong anti-alias filter.
--
Cheers,
David
Old February 21st 13, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 21/02/2013 7:54 p.m., David Taylor wrote:
On 21/02/2013 05:31, RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02...ow-pass-filter

As has been discussed many times already here, once the sensor
resolution exceeds that of the lens (in broad terms), there is less need
for a strong anti-alias filter.

I wonder whether this D7100 has the same system as the D800E, retaining
a two layer low-pass filter, one layer "cancelling-out" the effect of
the other (sorry for weird explanation, but IIRC that's more-or-less how
Nikon described it), or if it's got none at all?
As described by Nikon, the D800E apparently needed that system to
maintain the same optical path as the D800. There's no "ordinary" D7100
with AA filter.
Some discussion and argument in the DPReview forums as to whether the
D7100 means there will be no "D400". A couple of things suggest that
there is room for a D400 - the D7100 frame rate is not faster than the
6YO D300, the buffer is smaller (only 6 raw frames), and the "kit"
includes the relatively low-end 18-105 zoom.
OTOH, Nikon's usual trick was to release the expensive model first, then
release a version with a few features removed and a lower price six
months down the track. (ie D200 then D80, D300 then D90).

Anyway, the D7100 looks very interesting. The 51 point AF system on DX
as per the D300 gives excellent frame-coverage - not all bunched-up like
on FX models. The price is good IMO ($1200 for body). 24mp on Dx seems
like a lot - it will be interesting to see samples.
Old February 22nd 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Me
wrote:

I wonder whether this D7100 has the same system as the D800E, retaining
a two layer low-pass filter, one layer "cancelling-out" the effect of
the other (sorry for weird explanation, but IIRC that's more-or-less how
Nikon described it), or if it's got none at all?

None at all, apparently. Nikon's excuse for using the pass filter on
the D800E was to preserve the focal distance so they wouldn't have to
move the sensor. I wonder how they dealt with it this time?

Yeah - I read that reason given by Nikon, which doesn't make sense to me
as the sensor plane itself should be the same.

there are two antialias filters, one for each linear dimension. nikon
removed the second one and replaced it with something to counteract the
first one.
Old February 25th 13, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Me" wrote in message
On 24/02/2013 12:04 p.m., RichA wrote:
I honestly don't think Nikon can afford a real camera recall so they
offer partial fixes.

I disagree, with operating income $500 million, recalling and fixing
(properly) a few tens of thousands of cameras might mean swallowing a dead
rat, but it won't kill them. Losing their reputation as a supplier of
premium quality products (including the customer support which should go
along with that) eventually could.

And yet doesn't seem to have had much affect. It's like Politicians and
Banks, as long as your competitors are not much better, you can get away
with anything. :-(

Trevor.

Old February 25th 13, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 25/02/2013 4:06 p.m., Trevor wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
On 24/02/2013 12:04 p.m., RichA wrote:
I honestly don't think Nikon can afford a real camera recall so they
offer partial fixes.

I disagree, with operating income $500 million, recalling and fixing
(properly) a few tens of thousands of cameras might mean swallowing a dead
rat, but it won't kill them. Losing their reputation as a supplier of
premium quality products (including the customer support which should go
along with that) eventually could.

And yet doesn't seem to have had much affect. It's like Politicians and
Banks, as long as your competitors are not much better, you can get away
with anything. :-(

Hopefully not "corporate culture":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...efect_cover-up

IIRC middle managers systematically filed complaints in bin 13.

They used to run ads here - "don't you wish /you/ owned a Mitsubishi".
Ummm - no thank you very much - and I never will.