Is shooting pictures a crime???

Old February 13th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,van.general,can.consumers
[email protected]

Default Is shooting pictures a crime???

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:25:47 GMT, "jazu" wrote:

|I was in Downtown shooting some pictures.
|There was some construction site I was aiming to.
|Security guy jump on me with a question
|"Do you have a permit to shot private property?"
|WTF????

It probably wasn't Domicile Private Property, just a construction
site with a limited permit....

Just make up a Property Release with the address....just like a Model
Release, and put your fake I.A.T.S.E. number on it as a Signature.
--
Triad Productions-Fantalla®~EZine~ParaNovel
National Association of Assault Research
Old February 14th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ken Lucke

Newsgroups trimmed

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:25:47 GMT, "jazu" wrote:

|I was in Downtown shooting some pictures.
|There was some construction site I was aiming to.
|Security guy jump on me with a question
|"Do you have a permit to shot private property?"
|WTF????

Any building built, or in process of building, since 1993 is considered
to have copyrights owned by the building architect and/or
contractor/builder and/or owner, according to international copyright
laws.

Yes, legally, you have to have permission. Do most people do so [get
permission]? No. Do most people get in trouble? No. Does that mean
you won't if you don't [get permission]? No.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old February 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
peter

Any building built, or in process of building, since 1993 is considered
to have copyrights owned by the building architect and/or
contractor/builder and/or owner, according to international copyright
laws.

Yes, legally, you have to have permission. Do most people do so [get
permission]? No. Do most people get in trouble? No. Does that mean
you won't if you don't [get permission]? No.

Many movies have tens or hundreds of buildings in them (e.g. a shot from a
helicopter). Did the movie producer got copyright clearance for each and
every building? It seems very unlikely. Does that mean the producer could be
sued by the building owners?

For people, if you shoot them in the public you don't need a model release.
This doesn't apply to buildings?

Old February 17th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
jeremy

"peter" wrote in message
Any building built, or in process of building, since 1993 is considered
to have copyrights owned by the building architect and/or
contractor/builder and/or owner, according to international copyright
laws.

Yes, legally, you have to have permission. Do most people do so [get
permission]? No. Do most people get in trouble? No. Does that mean
you won't if you don't [get permission]? No.

Many movies have tens or hundreds of buildings in them (e.g. a shot from a
helicopter). Did the movie producer got copyright clearance for each and
every building? It seems very unlikely. Does that mean the producer could
be sued by the building owners?

For people, if you shoot them in the public you don't need a model
release. This doesn't apply to buildings?

I believe you may be confusing right to take photos with right to reproduce
photos. One can take photographs of virtually anything in the US, including
people, as long as the photos are never published. But once you make copies
or sell copies you run into the rights issues.

One area to avoid is children--especially places like public bathing areas,
playgrounds or school grounds. There are valid concerns on the part of
parents and caregivers that pedophiles might be active in such places,
especially when they take photos of persons that can be
personally-identifiable, as opposed to "generic" groups of people whose
features are not personally identifiable.

Old February 17th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
camcase

On Feb 14, 2:17 am, Ken Lucke wrote:

Newsgroups trimmed

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:25:47 GMT, "jazu" wrote:

|I was in Downtown shooting some pictures.
|There was some construction site I was aiming to.
|Security guy jump on me with a question
|"Do you have a permit to shot private property?"
|WTF????

Any building built, or in process of building, since 1993 is considered
to have copyrights owned by the building architect and/or
contractor/builder and/or owner, according to international copyright
laws.

Yes, legally, you have to have permission. Do most people do so [get
permission]? No. Do most people get in trouble? No. Does that mean
you won't if you don't [get permission]? No.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Okay, then lets make it a class action, let us all over the world
repeat those very phrases and let the Government. do something about
it.
Big Brother wouldn't know where to look can hardly prosecute
everybody.
I know it is a form of civil disobedience but somehow them nosey
parkers, in all governments, must be made clear that there is a limit
to their interfering.
Camcase

Old April 25th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Pix at BFL

wrote:

|I was in Downtown shooting some pictures.
|There was some construction site I was aiming to.
|Security guy jump on me with a question
|"Do you have a permit to shot private property?"
|WTF????

Any building built, or in process of building, since 1993 is considered
to have copyrights owned by the building architect and/or
contractor/builder and/or owner, according to international copyright
laws.

Yes, legally, you have to have permission. Do most people do so [get
permission]? No. Do most people get in trouble? No. Does that mean
you won't if you don't [get permission]? No.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Okay, then lets make it a class action, let us all over the world
repeat those very phrases and let the Government. do something about
it.
Big Brother wouldn't know where to look can hardly prosecute
everybody.
I know it is a form of civil disobedience but somehow them nosey
parkers, in all governments, must be made clear that there is a limit
to their interfering.
Camcase

There's been a lot of writing and angst about this in various
photography forums.

As I understand it, no one can legally stop you from photographing
anything publicly visible when you're on public property - so shooting a
construction site or building when you're on the street or on the
sidewalk is not illegal nor is it protected under copyright laws.

But, there are two issues - you have to be on public property, not on
the property of the building - sometimes that extends a surprising
amount out into the sidewalk.

The other is copyright and trademark - you can't necessarily publish a
shot of that building. You have every right to shoot the picture, you
just can't sell it or publish it.

Typically, you don't get as much hassle if you don't use a tripod -
tripods seem to tag people as "pro's" which suggests you'll be trying to
publish the pictures unless they are deemed as "news."

Of course, you can try to enforce your rights - but most security people
seem to not listen much to rights and will try to enforce what they see
as the "rules." (If any security people are reading this, I'd love to
hear your side of this - I'm sure there's more to it than is seen from
the publics side.) In the end, do you want the hassle?

It should also be noted there are cities that require permits to
commercially photograph certain places - even if the structures are not
protected under copyright. Check with the city to find out if that's the
case in your city.

Note: None of the information you find on the internet (including this
post) should be considered legal advice.
--

www.SpeersPhoto.com
403.230.4042
Old April 25th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
No 33 Secretary

Pix at BFL wrote in
news
Of course, you can try to enforce your rights - but most
security people seem to not listen much to rights and will try
to enforce what they see as the "rules." (If any security people
are reading this, I'd love to hear your side of this - I'm sure
there's more to it than is seen from the publics side.) In the
end, do you want the hassle?

If you are on public property, and not breaking the law, the
quickest way to shut the rent-a-cops up is to just pull out your
cell phone can call the real cops. Or even just offer to, usually.
They generally *know* they can't do anything other than whine, and
back off if you threaten to call the cops on *them* for harassing
you on a public sidewalk.

Note: None of the information you find on the internet
(including this post) should be considered legal advice.

Indeed.

--
"What is the first law?"
"To Protect."

Terry Austin
Old May 15th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,van.general,can.consumers
[email protected]

enquiring mind wrote:
EM The whole idea of taking a picture is to do it without being noticed. =
EM
EM Instead of holding the camera at =
EM
EM eye level, hold it at waist level and take a few exta pictures. You
EM will get the hang of it. Remember stealth photography, please.

Why? What's wrong with shooting pictures of anything you want viewable in the
public domain?

And why is there a law specifically prohibiting the use of cameras inside pubs
and bars?

--

Because I care,

|+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!)
(Please quote with "gapope wrote...")
-=-
In essentials, unity;
In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine
-=-
note new preferred reply email: Cyberpope67(at)yahoo(dot)com
(replies to this vcn address likely to be auto-deleted without reading)

PS This post specially encoded for verification purposes
--
..
from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca Official Reply Address for Usenet Post