demon his perfect imperfections

Old October 7th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.art
marika

Default demon his perfect imperfections

I saw an epidose of Law and Order very much like this last week, the
Vincent Donofrio one.

WHY in the world is a doctor with a "degenerative brain condition" like
Alzheimer's still working, in medicine, delivering babies? Sounds to me
like he's just a big sicko and that's a bunch of defensive crap.
And perhaps more important.... do you really think a "brand" on a
stomach is worth 5.5 million? It would cost a couple thousand to remove
it, and then throw in a couple grand for pain and suffering or whatever.
But 5.5 million?

NY POST.....By LAURA ITALIANO and DAREH GREGORIAN
------------------------------------
Investigators are probing "several" allegations of wrongdoing by an

East Side
obstetrician who "branded" a woman who'd just given birth by carving

his
initials into her stomach.

"It was my first-born child. It was supposed to be an exciting time in

my life.
He made it a nightmare," Liana Gedz said of the horrific Sept. 7

incident, when
Dr. Allan Zarkin carved his initials -- AZ -- into her at Beth Israel

Hospital
after performing a Cesarean delivery.

Zarkin is now under criminal investigation by Manhattan District

Attorney's
Robert Morgenthau's office, which is also probing complaints from other
patients of the 61-year-old doctor.

"We are looking at several other cases and we're interested in hearing

about
others," said Barbara Thompson, a spokeswoman for the D.A.'s office.

Prosecutors refused comment on the nature of the other cases.

"It's not all carving," said a law enforcement source.

Zarkin's lawyer, Kenneth Platzer, said investigators haven't contacted

him, and
"we have no knowledge of anything similar to this bizarre act."

He said the obstetrician, who admits mutilating Gedz, is suffering

from a
degenerative brain condition similar to Alzheimer's, and is now

undergoing
medical treatment.

"The doctor didn't intentionally or willfully harm Ms. Gedz," he said.

Witnesses said after he delivered Gedz's baby, Zarkin said, "I did

such a
beautiful job, I'll initial it."

A nurse, an anestheseologist and Gedz's husband were in the room at

the time,
but didn't see what had happened until it was too late, said Gedz's

lawyer,
Robert Sullivan.

He said when the 31-year-old mom later came to and confronted Zarkin,

the
doctor snapped, "I don't owe you an explanation. I did great work on

you."

Beth Israel, which immediately suspended Zarkin, said in a statement

it's
"appalled" by Zarkin's "outrageous actions."

Zarkin, a doctor since 1966, has agreed not to practice medicine

pending a
State Health Department investigation.

Gedz and her husband, Robert Ghalili, are suing Zarkin and the

hospital for
$5.5 million.