really no purpose anymore for traditional films (negative or diapositve) (by 2006) ?

Old November 29th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default really no purpose anymore for traditional films (negative or diapositve) (by 2006) ?

"Greg \"_\"" wrote:

There are small batch chemical kits from Tetenal, and room temperature.

You can use a single tank for a single roll, and fill the bottles of
stick with marbles to slow air exposure. Its all in what one wants....
where there's a will there's a way.

And an expense. You can't tell me that form of development is going to be
anywhere near cheap.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old November 29th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Greg \_\

In article ,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

"Greg \"_\"" wrote:

There are small batch chemical kits from Tetenal, and room temperature.

You can use a single tank for a single roll, and fill the bottles of
stick with marbles to slow air exposure. Its all in what one wants....
where there's a will there's a way.

And an expense. You can't tell me that form of development is going to be
anywhere near cheap.

Lets say the average for 120 film is 6.75 per roll at a lab without
driving there, if your kit only processed 10 rolls at 40.00 per kit you
are 2.75 ahead per roll that's 27.50 per ten rolls.

More than likely you can process more than 10 rolls especially if
batched.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tails&Q=&sku=1
09282&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

How much does it cost to drive there or ship the film, not to mention
potential for loss. Once one has the technique down few will handle the
film with as much care as one's self.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old November 29th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Greg \_\

In article , () wrote:

In article ,
Greg \"_\" wrote:

There are small batch chemical kits from Tetenal, and room temperature.

For E6?

Certainly for C41 on both accounts, & small batches for E6.

I was able to find C41 but not E6. Do you have a link?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tails&Q=&sku=1
09282&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It may not be room temp certainly small batch, I think I was wrong about
room temp E6...I'll investigate.

Old November 30th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
babelfish

"Greg "_""
not whether or not you can do it yourself. I've
been running a large custom lab for thirty years and I can't believe the
drop off in support from Kodak in just the last six months.

Is that across the board? Like in RA papers- I would be surprised
if so. Film I could care less.

Yeah, even RA products. For example, I can't order many of the roll sizes
that were once available. If it isn't a good mover for Rochester consider it
gone. Kodak is totally schizoid and they don't know which direction is best
for them. Their marketing appears to be flailing about aimlessly. HP
rejected an offer from Kodak not too long ago when it asked to be acquired.
That's really what they want and it would then be easy for them to abandon
silver halide altogether. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Canon buy
them and spin the photo business off to a group of investors who will raid
what's left the way it was done at Agfa who is incidentally being sued for
their actions. It's nasty business all around as there's a fight for the
doors.

The other fascinating part is that there isn't much money being made in
digital photography at all. Most of the players are in it to establish
themselves as the leaders and drive others out in the hope that they will
eventually win enough market share to become profitable to pay for all of
this R&D and tooling. I think it's a fool's game and one that will end badly
for everyone because the product cycles are too short. It's like the Chinese
curse, "May you live in interesting times."

Old November 30th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
babelfish

"Greg "_""
Lets say the average for 120 film is 6.75 per roll at a lab without
driving there, if your kit only processed 10 rolls at 40.00 per kit you
are 2.75 ahead per roll that's 27.50 per ten rolls.

More than likely you can process more than 10 rolls especially if
batched.

Gee I'm going to have to raise my prices. I think we're getting $5.25 per
120 roll for two hour QLab service. I'd even lower prices if I thought it
would generate more sales, but the truth is that the marketplace only shoots
a given amount of film and I'm getting almost everything from the local area
as it is. If I did it for free, I don't think we'd process any more film
than we do now. When I look back at what we charged 20 or 30 years ago and
consider how much the cost of doing it has gone up, we should be charging at
least $15 to 20 a roll. Fat chance. No wonder labs are closing left and
right.

Old November 30th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Derek Gee

"babelfish" wrote in message
HP rejected an offer from Kodak not too long ago when it asked to be
acquired.

Please cite a real source for this statement. Some searching on Google by
me only turned up "rumors" during 2005 with the EK CEO Perez confirming that
when he was at HP he spent 15 days looking at an EK acquisition. There was
NOTHING to suggest EK instigated it. HP & EK have had joint ventures going
back to at least 2000, and since HP was rethinking strategy post-Fiorina, I
see no reason to assume EK initiated discussions. HP apparently looked at
acquiring Xerox as well. Wall Street apparently was not impressed with the
possibility of either acquisition.

Derek

Old November 30th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Greg \_\

In article g7rbh.14201$9e.6408@trnddc02,
"babelfish" wrote:

"Greg "_""
[...]

The big problem in E6 & C41 is volume without it on a dip and dunk
machine the chemistry goes bad because the replenishment cycle is slower.

I see a leveling out at some point if two labs compete in one town
eventually there is one lab,...sometimes the one with less quality

I worked in a Pro Lab for a year, poorly managed. They had all these
Pro's with net accounts that owed them lots of money.....and a lot were
90 or more days behind typically. Surprise they shut down shortly after
Christmas last year, sold out and terminated quite a few long term
employees. I was already gone because I did not fit their idea of a good
employee In other words I had an Opinion.

Old November 30th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

In article ,
Greg \"_\" wrote:

It may not be room temp certainly small batch, I think I was wrong about
room temp E6...I'll investigate.

C-41 is very much more forgiving. With E-6 has the need for colors to be
right on the film and not have to be corrected.

Old November 30th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

babelfish wrote:

Gee I'm going to have to raise my prices. I think we're getting $5.25 per
120 roll for two hour QLab service. I'd even lower prices if I thought it
would generate more sales, but the truth is that the marketplace only shoots
a given amount of film and I'm getting almost everything from the local area
as it is.

What do you charge for 4x5 E-6?

Old November 30th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Philip Homburg

In article , wrote:
In article ,
Greg \"_\" wrote:
C-41 is very much more forgiving. With E-6 has the need for colors to be
right on the film and not have to be corrected.

Is E-6 as forgiving as C-41 when the slides are just scanned (and never
projected)?