EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS, why does no one have this anymore?

Old September 24th 05, 05:02 PM
SMS

Default EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS, why does no one have this anymore?

I wanted to buy the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS, but every retailer
appears to be out of it, and B&H lists no date of availability (for a
while their site said October 2005, now it says "We have no estimated
arrival date at this time."

Anyone know if Canon dropped this lens from their line? I see that a new
lens, the EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM is coming, but I suspect that it won't
be as good.

Old September 24th 05, 06:21 PM
l e o

SMS wrote:
I wanted to buy the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS, but every retailer
appears to be out of it, and B&H lists no date of availability (for a
while their site said October 2005, now it says "We have no estimated
arrival date at this time."

Anyone know if Canon dropped this lens from their line? I see that a new
lens, the EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM is coming, but I suspect that it won't
be as good.

Why would you think the new lens won't be as good? The AF will be
faster, physically smaller and it has 2 IS modes. I don't think Canon
would skimp on image quality just to squeeze these features.
Old September 24th 05, 09:05 PM
Allan & Glennis Sheppard

Hi,
Also contains a UD element which will hopefully sort out the softness
@ 300mm.
Will be interesting to see a comparison with the DO lens.

Cheers,
Allan

Old September 29th 05, 06:23 PM
SMS

PM wrote:
There are a lot of them for sale on Ebay. I'm wondering why everyone is
selling them??

The replacement lens is coming out on October 15th, the Canon EF
70-300/4-5.6IS USM.

Well it does seem that the replacement for this will be better,
especially for digital. The price for the new lens, will be $650, while
the old one is around $470, quite a difference, but in the scheme of
things, I guess it's not a big deal.
Old September 29th 05, 09:01 PM
SMS

SMS wrote:
PM wrote:

There are a lot of them for sale on Ebay. I'm wondering why everyone
is selling them??

The replacement lens is coming out on October 15th, the Canon EF
70-300/4-5.6IS USM.

Well it does seem that the replacement for this will be better,
especially for digital. The price for the new lens, will be $650, while
the old one is around $470, quite a difference, but in the scheme of
things, I guess it's not a big deal.

Someone e-mailed me that they paid $540 for the new EF 75-300mm
f/4.0-5.6 EF IS from Dell, after a 20% discount and a $60 off coupon,
including tax and shipping. It's not on the Dell site right now (it
shows up in a search, but when you click on the search result, it's not
there). Probably worth waiting for the stars to align to get that price
from Dell, rather than pay the standard $650.