Card reader or cord for image transfer to computer?

Old November 20th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Donald Specker

Default Card reader or cord for image transfer to computer?

What's the best option here? Is the card reader faster? Will repeatedly
removing the card affect the contacts?

Thanks.

Old November 21st 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:16:34 GMT, "Donald Specker"
wrote:

What's the best option here? Is the card reader faster? Will repeatedly
removing the card affect the contacts?

Thanks.

The faster device, is the device which is faster...

Will removing the plug affect it's contacts? same ting...

You won't know which is faster till you try them both...

Old November 21st 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On Nov 20, 3:16 pm, "Donald Specker"
wrote:
What's the best option here? Is the card reader faster? Will repeatedly
removing the card affect the contacts?

Thanks.

I use a card reader. Not because it may be faster. But, it doesn't use
up the battery in the camera. Also I don't have to have two differant
"cords" running to the computer for the two differant cameras I have.
One reader for many cards.
Old November 22nd 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:29:11 -1000, Scott W wrote:

Donald Specker wrote:
What's the best option here? Is the card reader faster? Will repeatedly
removing the card affect the contacts?

Most of the time a good card reader is going to be much faster.
As for removing the card, I have not had a problem with that yet
and since I often shoot multiple cards I have to swap them anyway.

Scott

I use several different computers and card readers, and much to my surprise, my
HP multimedia dual core computer with built-in card readers is as slow as
molasses! The attached camera is faster... something wrong with that thing!

Old November 22nd 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas[_5_]

Donald Specker wrote:
What's the best option here? Is the card reader faster? Will repeatedly
removing the card affect the contacts?

Most of the time a good card reader is going to be much faster.
As for removing the card, I have not had a problem with that yet
and since I often shoot multiple cards I have to swap them anyway.

Scott

I use several different computers and card readers, and much to my
surprise, my
HP multimedia dual core computer with built-in card readers is as slow as
molasses! The attached camera is faster... something wrong with that
thing!

You might find the card reader is USB1 and the camera is USB2. Major
difference in speed.
I use a "firewire" connection on my card reader which is supposedly a tad
slower than USB2 but it is rock solid reliable, compared to USB.

Most prolific photographer's use card readers because it is unlikely they'll
have a day shooting and only use one card. I use 1 and 2 gig cards for
security reasons rather than the convenience of larger cards. I still have
the cables (unopened) in the camera boxes. I've never used them!

I did see a 20D advertised on eBay as having "bent pins" in the card slot.
The going rate for a 20D in AU is about $650. This one brought $550 so the
problem couldn't be all that expensive to repair if you did bend them.

Douglas

Old November 23rd 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:55:23 +1000, "Douglas" wrote:

.. .

Donald Specker wrote:
[...]

I've now found that there are at least 3 USB speeds...

I often work on machines that have connectors awkward to get at, and bend pins
all the time! One plug is notorious for being hard to reach and impossible to
pull off without going a bit sideways and bending pins. Once the board is free
the pins can be easily put back... I'm getting good at it...

The biggest problem is access to the pins, and the use of special tools if
needed. I find a spring hook* and various bending spudgers* come in handy.

* 1960s typewriter repair tools.

Old November 23rd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:55:23 +1000, "Douglas" wrote:

. ..

Donald Specker wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but those plated copper pins will work harden and snap off pretty
soon....Then you'll have to replace the connector........