Scanning Negatives

Old May 22nd 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mike Mueller

Default Scanning Negatives

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Mike Mueller wrote:

I'm still a fan of doing 90% of the work when the shot is taken. I'm not
interested in using photoshop to fix a poorly framed or exposed shot.
The fun of the hobby is being able to compose the shot before, not after.

I shoot both film and digital and find that my film shots are generally
better than the digital because I still *think* when I'm shooting film. G

Thats a good way of putting it.. I find that when I use my daughter
Digital SLR, I just shoot away. If I don't like a shot, I just hit
delete. it costs nothing to shoot a few hundred frames in digital. Film
requires "thought".
Thanks again for all the assistance
Mike Mueller
Old May 22nd 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Mike Mueller" wrote:
Thats a good way of putting it.. I find that when I use my daughter
Digital SLR, I just shoot away. If I don't like a shot, I just hit delete.
it costs nothing to shoot a few hundred frames in digital. Film requires
"thought".

Digital requires thought also, if one wants images worth showing people.

Whether or not one has a personality flaw that prevents one thinking when
one has a digital camera in one's hand is the photographer's problem...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 22nd 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lobby Dosser

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"Mike Mueller" wrote:
Thats a good way of putting it.. I find that when I use my daughter
Digital SLR, I just shoot away. If I don't like a shot, I just hit
delete. it costs nothing to shoot a few hundred frames in digital.
Film requires "thought".

Digital requires thought also, if one wants images worth showing
people.

Whether or not one has a personality flaw that prevents one thinking
when one has a digital camera in one's hand is the photographer's
problem...

Oh dear, must we bracket the light hearted remarks with [humor on] and
[humor off]?
Old May 23rd 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mike Mueller

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Mike Mueller" wrote:

Thats a good way of putting it.. I find that when I use my daughter
Digital SLR, I just shoot away. If I don't like a shot, I just hit delete.
it costs nothing to shoot a few hundred frames in digital. Film requires
"thought".

Digital requires thought also, if one wants images worth showing people.

Whether or not one has a personality flaw that prevents one thinking when
one has a digital camera in one's hand is the photographer's problem...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I did notrealize, making fun of myself was going to invoke such a
response from anyone. It was not directed at this newsgroup or it's members.
Mike Mueller

Old May 25th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Robert Feinman writes:

The rule of thumb for making prints is the degree of desired
magnification is (scan resolution)/300 dpi. So to do a 4x enlargement
you would scan at 1200 dpi.

A rule I go by is scan at the highest resolution that still gives more
details so you don't have to rescan when you need to make a larger
print. HD space is cheap is scanning is so bothersome I don't want to
scan the same frame several times.

This is an easy rule to follow because I just scan everything at 3200
DPI without having to think about the size of my enlargements.
Old May 25th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mike Mueller

Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Robert Feinman writes:

The rule of thumb for making prints is the degree of desired
magnification is (scan resolution)/300 dpi. So to do a 4x enlargement
you would scan at 1200 dpi.

A rule I go by is scan at the highest resolution that still gives more
details so you don't have to rescan when you need to make a larger
print. HD space is cheap is scanning is so bothersome I don't want to
scan the same frame several times.

This is an easy rule to follow because I just scan everything at 3200
DPI without having to think about the size of my enlargements.

Which scanning software do you use. Epson does not recommend scanning
above 1200dpi with the dust removal running. As a mater of fact, the
program will not let you scan above that with dust removal. They also do
not recommned anything above 9600dpi. Their software can not handle
higher resolution scans.
Thank you
Mike Mueller
Old May 26th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Mike Mueller writes:

Which scanning software do you use. Epson does not recommend scanning
above 1200dpi with the dust removal running. As a mater of fact, the
program will not let you scan above that with dust removal. They also
do not recommned anything above 9600dpi. Their software can not handle
higher resolution scans.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

I haven't obviously followed the thread from the beginning and was
just commenting generally on this "rules of thumbs for selecting
a scanning DPI depending on the enlargement size" thing because
I don't subscribe to that philosophy.

I use an Epson V700 and there's nothing against scanning at 3200DPI,
either with Epson Scan or Silverfast. ICE works.