Looking for a new scanner for Negatives

Old March 25th 05, 04:51 PM
admin

Default Looking for a new scanner for Negatives

Hi, I moved this thread to both the 35mm and medium format forums. It
will do much better there.

Thanks,
Admin.

thephotomaker Wrote:
I was a corporate industrial aerospace photographer, new to the digital
field and am looking for a scanner that won’t coast me bazillion
dollars to purchase. I want to use this scanner to input a lot of my
35mm, 2 1/4, 6 x7, 6x9, XPan Panorama and 4x5 negatives and (some
slides), for both printing, and for inputing into a web site I am
working on.

I am considering the: Epson Perfection 4990 or the Microtek ScanMaker
i900.
The Microtek interests me because it has no Glass touching the
negatives, which should eliminate Newton’s rings & dust. But the Epson
4990 has a higher resolution.

I was hopping that someone might know or has tested these two units. I
am also looking for a professional digital image management program,
similar in quality to Extensis portfolio 7, but for a lot less money.
Someone mentioned ACDSee but I don’t know what the quality of that is.
I am using a PC for my computer platform.

I have been in the professional /Industrial photography field for over
30 years, and I now have to learn all over again!

Thank anyone or everyone who might be able to give me some insight to
these now digital questions.

Eric

--
admin