Canon DSLR Live View

Old April 22nd 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Canon DSLR Live View

In article
, Pat
wrote:

I have live view and frankly, don't know what all of the fuss is
about. It has very little usefulness.

So you're out with your 1000mm lens. Good. And it's on a tripod,
because it is, after all, a 1000 mm lens. So what real advantage does
live view have -- esp. in daylight where you can't see it as well. It
really isn't too difficult to look through the viewfinder and get a
much better view of the picture.

macro is one scenario where live view is fantastic.
Old April 22nd 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article
, Pat
wrote:

I have live view and frankly, don't know what all of the fuss is
about. It has very little usefulness.

So you're out with your 1000mm lens. Good. And it's on a tripod,
because it is, after all, a 1000 mm lens. So what real advantage does
live view have -- esp. in daylight where you can't see it as well. It
really isn't too difficult to look through the viewfinder and get a
much better view of the picture.

macro is one scenario where live view is fantastic.

To be sure ... it can save the day with some macro shots!

Old April 22nd 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Charles" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
In article
, Pat
wrote:

I have live view and frankly, don't know what all of the fuss is
about. It has very little usefulness.

So you're out with your 1000mm lens. Good. And it's on a tripod,
because it is, after all, a 1000 mm lens. So what real advantage does
live view have -- esp. in daylight where you can't see it as well. It
really isn't too difficult to look through the viewfinder and get a
much better view of the picture.

macro is one scenario where live view is fantastic.

To be sure ... it can save the day with some macro shots!

Also, the LV focus can focus in lower lighting situations where the normal,
or Quick Focus, has problems. I know that won't carry a lot of weight,
since it comes from somebody who has problems getting the focus where he
wants it, but, it does seem to have a lower operating threshold.

So, that 1,000 mm lens sitting on the tripod might benefit from LV, even on
a sunny day, and even if you can see the image, yourself, better through the
viewfinder. The camera might see it better with LV -- especially if you
plop a 2X converter on it and cut the aperture in half.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 23rd 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Eugene" wrote in message
On Apr 23, 6:42 am, "Dudley Hanks" wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
.. .
In article
, Pat
wrote:

I have live view and frankly, don't know what all of the fuss is
about. It has very little usefulness.

So you're out with your 1000mm lens. Good. And it's on a tripod,
because it is, after all, a 1000 mm lens. So what real advantage does
live view have -- esp. in daylight where you can't see it as well. It
really isn't too difficult to look through the viewfinder and get a
much better view of the picture.

macro is one scenario where live view is fantastic.

To be sure ... it can save the day with some macro shots!

Also, the LV focus can focus in lower lighting situations where the
normal,
or Quick Focus, has problems. I know that won't carry a lot of weight,
since it comes from somebody who has problems getting the focus where he
wants it, but, it does seem to have a lower operating threshold.

Has anyone tried F/10 with the LiveView by using teleconverter
with say a 400mm telephoto? How is the image? How
is Contrast Autofocus.. Can it still focus? (I assume Phase
Detection no longer works with F/10 even in Live View).
Also does Manual focusing guarantee to work by
zooming in on the object for more accurate manual
focusing (if it is bright enough in the first place to
zoom in).

So, that 1,000 mm lens sitting on the tripod might benefit from LV, even
on
a sunny day, and even if you can see the image, yourself, better through
the
viewfinder. The camera might see it better with LV -- especially if you
plop a 2X converter on it and cut the aperture in half.

A 2X converter would make the 1000mm lens 2000mm.
It won't cut the aperture in half but just extend the focal
length.

Take Care,
Dudley- Hide quoted text -

No, it cuts the aperture in half as well. Most teleconverters will still
show that your aperture is set to, let's say, f/3.5, but the effective
aperture is actually f/7.0.

For discussion, see:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31559866

Whenever the discussion turns to tele's and aperture, it gets a bit murky,
but the thing to remember is that, while the teleconverter doesn't change
the physical size of the aperture, it does reduce the amount of light that
reaches your film / sensor, so the end result is identical to altering your
aperture size.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 23rd 09, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:21:41 -0400, Charles wrote:

I have live view and frankly, don't know what all of the fuss is
about. It has very little usefulness.

So you're out with your 1000mm lens. Good. And it's on a tripod,
because it is, after all, a 1000 mm lens. So what real advantage does
live view have -- esp. in daylight where you can't see it as well. It
really isn't too difficult to look through the viewfinder and get a
much better view of the picture.

macro is one scenario where live view is fantastic.

To be sure ... it can save the day with some macro shots!

I prefer an anglefinder attached to the optical viewfinder.

What I do like about Live View (on my Powershot S80), is some extra info
like the live histogram.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old April 27th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:

A 2X converter would make the 1000mm lens 2000mm.
It won't cut the aperture in half but just extend the focal
length.

Take Care,
Dudley- Hide quoted text -

No, it cuts the aperture in half as well. Most teleconverters will still
show that your aperture is set to, let's say, f/3.5, but the effective
aperture is actually f/7.0.

For discussion, see:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31559866

Whenever the discussion turns to tele's and aperture, it gets a bit
murky, but the thing to remember is that, while the teleconverter
doesn't change the physical size of the aperture, it does reduce the
amount of light that reaches your film / sensor, so the end result is
identical to altering your aperture size.

Since the aperture "f-stop" number is a direct function of the focal
length (thus the "f" in f-stop!), doubling the focal length does, in fact,
change the f-stop value, even though the opening itself is the same size.

That's what I should have said, but, I got too caught up in dealing with the
actual physical opening not changing...

Take Care,
Dudley