Traditional B&W Interest Group

Old March 3rd 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Traditional B&W Interest Group

On 10-03-03 13:11 , Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

And this is from more than four years ago! Four years! Can you imagine
that!
Moreover, all his words spoken those four years ago sound very much like

What I said is as true now as it was then.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 3rd 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On 10-03-03 13:11 , Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

And this is from more than four years ago! Four years! Can you imagine
that!
Moreover, all his words spoken those four years ago sound very much like

What I said is as true now as it was then.
.

In particular -

"...there is nothing you will say to make me change my mind. "

The true believer of the true faith has seen the light and is indeed once
and forever the true believer!

As the old poster from years gone by said:
"I've already made up my mind. Don't bother me with facts."

Old March 4th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 10-03-03 15:48 , Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
"Alan wrote in message
On 10-03-03 13:11 , Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

And this is from more than four years ago! Four years! Can you imagine
that!
Moreover, all his words spoken those four years ago sound very much like

What I said is as true now as it was then.
.

In particular -

"...there is nothing you will say to make me change my mind."

The true believer of the true faith has seen the light and is indeed once
and forever the true believer!

As the old poster from years gone by said:
"I've already made up my mind. Don't bother me with facts."

That wasn't me - put that brush away.

I did say "show me an authoritative source that says the opposite of
digital is analog, that film is an analog."

So far a lot of comparisons or references to hobby sites.

I'm done with you, you circle, you snip out relevant matter and you
imply that I said things that I never would.

Again: I don't care that you don't agree with me.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 4th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alan wrote in message
[...]

ah yes...the true Believer doth spoke yet again.
There is an old saying - "if the shoe fits..." as well as "If it walks like
a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck..."
to wit - "...there is nothing you will say to make me change my mind."

Clearly and obviously true Believers need present no verifiable
substantiation - references/links/citations - of what they say because they
have seen the Light and Know the Truth!

no more need be said. Alan Browne does no more than proclaim his faith over
and over again with words, words, and nothing but words...with not a single,
solitary, itsy bitsy shred of verifiable fact to back his belief.

Old March 5th 10, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alan wrote in message
[...]

wups...almost forgot. Alan said
"So far a lot of comparisons or references to hobby sites."

OK, Alan...simple minded as I am, please for me...and the others here..cite
the hobbies of each of the following sites that I referenced:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/
http://www.synonym.com/antonym/
http://dictionary.reference.com/
which references
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2002. Published by Houghton Mifflin.
All rights reserved. http://foldoc.org/computing+dictionary
and
The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2007
http://www.wordwebonline.com/
http://words.bighugelabs.com/
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/
which references
Wordnet Dictionary
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/
and
http://poets.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin

I, the unenlightened and the skeptic, look to you, Alan Browne - the Truly
Enlightened One and the True Believer, to proclaim the hobbies of each and
every one of these sites...one by one...unto us such that you can - and do -
denigrate the antonyms of "digital" found within said sites. I await your
pronouncement with much great anticipation and with even greater eagerness
as to why each and every one of these sites - one by one - are deemed by
you - the Truly Enlightened One and the True Believer - not to be
"authoritative."

Old March 5th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

"Alan wrote in message
[...]

These are "hobby sites" because they don't fit his point of view. He
doesn't need to have any references on his side because he IS Allen
Browne and we should all bow down to his greatness.. You should already
know that he doesn't want to be confused with facts. I enjoyed his "lets
move on" post too. :-)

Stephanie
Old March 6th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alan wrote in message
[...]

Well, folks, looks like Alan's not to be found to explain to us how each of
my references is a hobby site as well as how each is not authoritative.
That really is much too bad. I was really, really looking so to hear him
proclaim unto one and all of us the hobby in which - for example - The
American Heritage® Science Dictionary is engaged. And I would just love to
hear his pronouncement of how it is that The American Heritage® Science
Dictionary is not authoritative.

Ditto Princeton University's Wordnet Dictionary. And the rest of my
references, one by one.

When confronted by True Believers like Alan, I love and appreciate the
Internet and its easy access to sites like the ones I referenced. Clearly,
if the True Believer has any - any - verifiable factual basis for his/her
beliefs, it is just as easy for him/her to cite references/links/citations
as I do...and have. When he/she cannot - as Alan clearly cannot and has
not - then the conclusion is an obvious one.

And of course we here have not changed Alan's mind a whit. Moreover, his
statement - "Again: I don't care that you don't agree with me" - is perfect
and very understandable precisely in that regard, True Believer that he is.
Allow me to briefly explain. Given that my references are not "hobby sites"
and are - most here would agree - authoritative (and I do want to hear from
those who find these references not authoritative), it is not the case that
I agree with him. Rather it is the case that he does not agree with
verifiable facts as substantiated by the sites I referenced. After all, I
did no more than present relevant content from those sites.

He is a True Believer and a True Believer he will remain, though he can not
provide us with a single, solitary, teeny weeniest bit of verifiable
reference substantiating his belief. All he has is his mouth - which he
uses aplenty...and now his obvious silence. Such are the ways of True
Believers.

As the old wall poster from years gone by (1970's, I believe) said -
"I've already made up my mind. Don't bother me with facts."

Old March 7th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

Well, folks, looks like Alan's not to be found to explain to us how each of
my references is a hobby site as well as how each is not authoritative.

*Hears a pin drop*

Stephanie
Old March 7th 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould[_2_]

Hi Stephanie,

wrote in message ...
I really was crazy into photography when I was shooting medium format
and then "stepped up" to digital when it came of age and been fighting
with trying to get back the excitement I used to have. All the reasons
people use for shooting digital are the exact reasons I lost interest.
Having nothing invested in the images, "so convenient", no trips to the
store to get film processed (and share results with the friends I made
there).

I try not to get wrapped up in evangelical arguments about media. For me,
the main challenge is to understand the medium in order to achieve an
objective.

Plus looking at images on a computer screen doesn't even come
close to looking at them on a light box to me. Watching the image appear
in the tray in the darkroom is stiff such a cool thing too. Maybe part
of it is you actually are handling something and using a mechanical
camera with no battery that is part of the enjoyment. Or using a camera
that is 50+ years old? That you really have to think *a lot* before you
push the shutter because each frame costs money, you have to manually
set everything and you have a limited number of shots per roll.

There are basic differences in shooting styles, regardless of the medium.
Long before digital photograpy, there were those who used motor drives and
bulk-loading backs to take many sequential shots of a scene, and would then
select the best result in the editing room. For that style, digital
photography is dream come true. My style is to consider a scene, and shoot
judiciously. I seldom have more than 2 or 3 frames of the same scene, and I
shoot digital in the same way.

I agree that there is a visceral appreciation when using mechanical cameras,
and I am not a big fan of the approach that most digital cameras have taken
w/r/t their user interface. I only have 2 MF cameras, both Rolleis. My older
50+ y.o. MX TLR is what enticed me into springing for a 6008i system,
because I am basically an SLR kinda guy. The two are as different as night
and day, and I wouldn't even try to come up with a definitive preference for
one or the other. I really am an agnostic when it comes to digital cameras,
since I can't even remotely justify the cost of those I'd prefer to use and
the rest are just OK with more aspects that I don't like than those I do.

--
best regards,

Neil