Portrait of my daughter...

Old April 26th 09, 12:10 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Bertram Paul, Atlantic-Diesel.com

Default Portrait of my daughter...

Always in a hurry, but just before she went out for the night, I managed to
take a quick portrait of her.
Not perfect yet, because I didn't have time to put a reflector on the left
side:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/index.php?topic=32.0

--
---
Bertram Paul

Old April 26th 09, 12:30 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Colin.D

Bertram Paul, Atlantic-Diesel.com wrote:
Always in a hurry, but just before she went out for the night, I managed to
take a quick portrait of her.
Not perfect yet, because I didn't have time to put a reflector on the left
side:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/index.php?topic=32.0

Your daughter is beautiful, a lovely lady. But the image is strangely
grayish, perhaps underexposed? I'll have a look at it in Photoshop.

Done that. Yes underexposed, the brightest part of the image is only
about 170, though shadow density is almost perfect, which suggests the
lighting was too flat.

Also, I think the light from her left is a little low, could stand being
raised higher, and last, she is somewhat off-centre, cutting off her
right shoulder - and to be really picky, she is square-on to the camera.

But, she is a great model. Read some books on portraiture and lighting.
I wish I had a model like her.

Colin D.
Old April 26th 09, 01:11 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
David Kilpatrick

Colin.D wrote:
[...]

I think the greyishness is a dark-net diffusion type effect, quite well
suited to the feel of the shot. I don't mind the density. The light is
too much at eye level and maybe the camera is also a bit low, and an
angled body (avoiding the wide shoulder span of a square-on shot) would,
as commented, be more flattering.

David
Old April 26th 09, 01:14 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc

"Colin.D" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Colin. I'll be sure to pass it on to her.

Like I said: it isn't perfect. I didn't have a good background; the curtain
in the back is very narrow. Cutting her arm like that was the only option,
because otherwise I would have part of a blue curtain on the left. Besides,
it shows off her self designed dress better with the left sleeve.

The grey I don't see. I looked on two different computers, both calibrated.
It is kind of dark, because I like it that way.
Better next time.

I did read a lot of books and have quite a video collection from Ansel
Adams, Henri Cartier-Bresson (3) up to Annie Leibovitz. But I'm still
learning every day!

--
---
Bertram Paul

Old April 26th 09, 01:44 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Ron Hunter

Bertram Paul, Atlantic-Diesel.com wrote:
Always in a hurry, but just before she went out for the night, I managed to
take a quick portrait of her.
Not perfect yet, because I didn't have time to put a reflector on the left
side:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/index.php?topic=32.0

Very pretty girl! Lucky date!
Old April 26th 09, 02:04 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:14:38 +0100, "Bertram Paul,
Atlantic-Diesel.com" wrote:

Like I said: it isn't perfect. I didn't have a good background; the curtain
in the back is very narrow. Cutting her arm like that was the only option,
because otherwise I would have part of a blue curtain on the left. Besides,
it shows off her self designed dress better with the left sleeve.

The grey I don't see. I looked on two different computers, both calibrated.
It is kind of dark, because I like it that way.
Better next time.

I did read a lot of books and have quite a video collection from Ansel
Adams, Henri Cartier-Bresson (3) up to Annie Leibovitz. But I'm still
learning every day!

You have to keep in mind that you are posting in photography
newsgroups. When a photograph is critiqued, and that photograph is of
a family member, it's difficult not be defensive. Doubly, even,
because you are defending the family member and your own photographic
skills.

I, too, get an impression of grayness about the image. The gray cast
of the curtain behind the subject dominates the photograph. The dress
is rather playful looking with the faux leopard and it clashes with
the old-timey look of the curtain. You already know of the lighting
problem.

I'd take that photograph, knock-out all of the background, and
experiment with some different background colors in Layers. Not to
get a final image, but to learn what colors work with her hair and
skin tones to set her off. Something to learn for the next portrait.

The subject's skin is lovely, but it's mostly in shadow. It will hold
up under more lighting.

A personal comment about your daughter...she has more sense than many
of her years. She's applied make-up to enhance, and not to dominate.
Most young girls don't know when to stop.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 27th 09, 03:39 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
BF

Bertram Paul, Atlantic-Diesel.com wrote:
Always in a hurry, but just before she went out for the night, I managed to
take a quick portrait of her.
Not perfect yet, because I didn't have time to put a reflector on the left
side:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/index.php?topic=32.0

ABout a minute in Photoshop helps some.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...042515copy.jpg