Sigma SD15 - why? But Fuji sensor sounds promising..

Old September 29th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

Default Sigma SD15 - why? But Fuji sensor sounds promising..

In article , Mark Thomas
wrote:

I've been watching the 4/3 sensors very closely, and their high iso
performance has been steadily improving. Of course it will never match
an APS-C or FF sensor (as 35mm will never match MF..), but to me the
balance between portability and decent image quality (and maybe even a
decent evf) makes these cameras very tempting.. I think the next gen of
G1-ish cameras will be very interesting.

cameras can be a lot smaller with micro 4/3rds, and still produce
decent quality photos. there are a number of rumours that nikon/canon
have aps size compacts coming. should be interesting...
Old October 22nd 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
*[_2_]

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
It all started with the SD9 - 3.4Mp.., then the SD10 - 4.6Mp, then the
SD14 - 4.6Mp... And now, continuing their ever upward progress..
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3440

The SD15!! at...... 4.6Mp. Same sensor. Why, Sigma/Foveon? You've had
how many years now to extract more out of this sensor? Maybe you should
give up?

Sigma/Foveon keeps the same sensor and changes their math each year...

Old October 22nd 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ian Johnston

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Mark Thomas wrote:
It all started with the SD9 - 3.4Mp.., then the SD10 - 4.6Mp, then the
SD14 - 4.6Mp... And now, continuing their ever upward progress..
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3440

The SD15!! at...... 4.6Mp. Same sensor. Why, Sigma/Foveon? You've
had how many years now to extract more out of this sensor? Maybe you
should give up?

Stigma blew it and they're never going to recover. I've never seen a
Stigma DLSR on on the street. Or in a store.

The importer came into the store last year and was almost begging us to take
in some SD14 dSLR, we declined, but can get them in on special order... to
date nobody have ever asked for one.

Old October 22nd 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alan Browne wrote:

Stigma blew it and they're never going to recover. I've never seen a
Stigma DLSR on on the street. Or in a store.

I have.
They really exist.

-Wolfgang
Old October 23rd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , wrote:

It all started with the SD9 - 3.4Mp.., then the SD10 - 4.6Mp, then the
SD14 - 4.6Mp... And now, continuing their ever upward progress..
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3440

The SD15!! at...... 4.6Mp. Same sensor. Why, Sigma/Foveon? You've had
how many years now to extract more out of this sensor? Maybe you should
give up?

Sigma/Foveon keeps the same sensor and changes their math each year...

actually, they changed the math between the sd9 and sd10, when it went
from 3.4 to 10.2 megapixels. the sd14 and dp1 have a 4.6 megapixel
sensor that sigma calls 14 megapixels, and it's the same one that will
be in the sd15 and dp2.
Old October 23rd 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:

Stigma blew it and they're never going to recover. I've never seen a
Stigma DLSR on on the street. Or in a store.

I have.
They really exist.

an actual person using one?? or in a store, waiting to be sold?
Old October 23rd 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

Stigma blew it and they're never going to recover. I've never seen a
Stigma DLSR on on the street. Or in a store.

I have.
They really exist.

an actual person using one?? or in a store, waiting to be sold?

Both at once: In a store (ano not even a camera store, but general
electronics), held in the hands of a prospective buyer.

-Wolfgang
Old October 23rd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:

Stigma blew it and they're never going to recover. I've never seen a
Stigma DLSR on on the street. Or in a store.

I have.
They really exist.

an actual person using one?? or in a store, waiting to be sold?

Both at once: In a store (ano not even a camera store, but general
electronics), held in the hands of a prospective buyer.

did he ultimately buy it? maybe he was just curious, and once he saw
how clunky and slow it really is, he opted for something else...
Old October 24th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

an actual person using one?? or in a store, waiting to be sold?

Both at once: In a store (ano not even a camera store, but general
electronics), held in the hands of a prospective buyer.

did he ultimately buy it? maybe he was just curious, and once he saw
how clunky and slow it really is, he opted for something else...

No idea. He was having a deep conversation with the salesperson.
I *did* throw in that he would need to convert the RAWs as the
camera had no in-body JPEG. (Which should tell you which
camera it was.)

But other than than, he was seriously considering the camera,
holding it in the hand all the time ...

-Wolfgang
Old October 24th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:

an actual person using one?? or in a store, waiting to be sold?

Both at once: In a store (ano not even a camera store, but general
electronics), held in the hands of a prospective buyer.

did he ultimately buy it? maybe he was just curious, and once he saw
how clunky and slow it really is, he opted for something else...

No idea. He was having a deep conversation with the salesperson.
I *did* throw in that he would need to convert the RAWs as the
camera had no in-body JPEG. (Which should tell you which
camera it was.)

that would be an sd9 or sd10.

But other than than, he was seriously considering the camera,
holding it in the hand all the time ...

well they have sold some. not very many, but it is greater than zero.