Pentax K10D

Old September 24th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Somebody

Default Pentax K10D

Doug is 100% correct. Whatever brand you decide to go with either plan on
staying with that brand and invest in good glass or plan to speed a lot more
when it comes time to change brands. I had to do this when I got rid of the
Canon 20D. I had to eat (pretty much) the money spent on lenses. While I
spent about $3000 on the Canon system I only got $1500 when I sold it. So
try and make sure the brand you choose is a brand you are going to want for
at least 5 years 10 would be better.

With the K10D I am finally at a camera point that I don't plan to buy a new
body for at least 5 years. I don't think we will see major advancements in
camera technology for at least that long. Companies are too busy trying to
milk everything they can out of the technology they have now.

More important that the body is the lenses. Now that doesn't mean you have
to spend $10,000 on a lens. But, plan on $300 to $600 per lens and I
strongly suggest you look at the ones from the cameras maker before you look
at third parties. I have had very poor results with Sigma and Tamron and
there are some incompatibility issues with third party lenses. However,
usually you can send the lens back to its maker and they will rechip it to
work with newer cameras. Both Canon and Nikon like to play around with
making third party lenses not work so well on new bodies.

Somebody!

Old September 25th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

"Ryan Robbins" a écrit dans le message de

"Yvon Travailler" wrote in message

"Tony Polson" a écrit dans le message de
Tyler Heibeck wrote:

I'm thinking about making the leep into DSLR. I was looking at the

Pentax
K10D since it looks to be a good mid-range camera, but has some

options
grow in to and learn more from. Does anybody here own this body?
Opinions? Which lens do you find most useful if you do?

Thanks in advance.

For much of 2007, the Pentax K10D was the top selling DSLR in Japan.
It is a hugely successful camera for Pentax and has consistently sold
at four or five times the expected numbers across Europe and Asia.

not really Canon and Nikon are way over Pentax in sells btw.

Nikon Corp., buoyed by the popularity of its D40 model, sold more

digital
single-lens reflex cameras than rival Canon Inc. in the first half of
2007.

Nikon clinched a 47.5-percent share of the domestic market from January

June, surpassing Canon's 36.5 percent, according to Tokyo-based market
research firm BCN Inc.

In the first half of this year, Pentax Corp. came in third at 6.7

percent,
followed by Sony Corp. at 4.5 percent and Olympus Corp. at 4.3 percent

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...707190113.html

That would not preclude the K10D from being the best-selling MODEL,

though.

when you offer 2 camera on the market , its damn easy that your best one can
reach the number 1 in sale for a few months. And it was only in japan btw.

Nikon They had on the market in 2007: D40, D40x, D70s, D80, D200
Canon: Rebet XT , Rebel XTI, 30D

Here it is almost impossible to find Pentax lenses, even big retailers arent
keeping Pentax lensed anymore ,18-55, 50-200 and the 16-45, thats it. Many
retailers arent even selling Pentax body.

Dont make my mistake, go with Canon or Nikon.

Today I went trying de 40D, wow , the auto focus speed, so fast.

My K10D is slower than my S3 IS probably.

Old September 26th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On Sep 25, 5:21 pm, "Yvon Travailler" wrote:
"Ryan Robbins" a écrit dans le message denews:KlFJi.6035$TH2.862@trndny06...

"Yvon Travailler" wrote in message

"Tony Polson" a écrit dans le message de
.. .
Tyler Heibeck wrote:

[...]

I'm sure there are plenty of places where Pentax lenses are hard to
find You inhabit one. TS.

I have absolutely no problem finding lenses for my K10D here in the
U.S.

I find the K10D autofocus speed quite sufficient for my needs: but,
hey, what the hell, I only shoot races a few times a year; the rest of
the time, my moving vehicle shots are seldom over 65 mph. I strongly
suggest you spend more time learning about your K10D than you do
whining about it if you want better results.

Old September 26th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Charlie Self wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of places where Pentax lenses are hard to
find You inhabit one. TS.

You're right. There are not many Pentax dealers under bridges.

;-)
Old September 26th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On Sep 26, 1:21 pm, Tony Polson wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of places where Pentax lenses are hard to
find You inhabit one. TS.

You're right. There are not many Pentax dealers under bridges.

;-)

Straighten out your references, or learn to read. I wrote the line
above, and you took it out of context, making me appear to be stating
that Pentax lenses are hard to find. I did not write anything like
that.

Don't take quotes out of context and try to prove what a wise man you
are. You end up looking stupid.

Old September 26th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

ups.com...

Tyler Heibeck wrote:

[...]

==================

I suggest you to stop being a stupid fanboy.

As for me, Im selling all my Pentax stuff and will go Nikon or Canon

Old September 26th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Charlie Self wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of places where Pentax lenses are hard to
find You inhabit one. TS.

You're right. There are not many Pentax dealers under bridges.

;-)

Straighten out your references, or learn to read. I wrote the line
above, and you took it out of context, making me appear to be stating
that Pentax lenses are hard to find. I did not write anything like
that.

I will let others be the judge of that.

In the meantime, welcome to my kill file and go f*ck yourself.

Old September 26th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

Tyler Heibeck wrote:

[...]

Good for you. Off you go! I await your photo posts.

Old September 26th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell

ups.com...
Charlie Self wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of places where Pentax lenses are hard to
find You inhabit one. TS.

You're right. There are not many Pentax dealers under bridges.

;-)

Straighten out your references, or learn to read. I wrote the line
above, and you took it out of context, making me appear to be stating
that Pentax lenses are hard to find. I did not write anything like
that.

Don't take quotes out of context and try to prove what a wise man you
are. You end up looking stupid.

WHOOSH!!!
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0122e.html#gruff
That should explain it for you!!

Old September 26th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell

Tyler Heibeck wrote:

[...]

Around these parts, the choices in the shops for Pentax are about the same
as the choices for Nikon and Canon - ie a small range of 3rd party lenses,
and an even smaller range of genuine. But just because the retailers don't
stock them, doesn't mean they aren't available. Retailers only stock what
sells a lot, which is basically budget tele-zooms, irrespective of brand.

Dont make my mistake, go with Canon or Nikon.

And how will that improve things? Nikon D40/D40x can't focus with non-AFS
lenses, which rules out practically all 3rd party lenses, and most of the
Nikon lenses. Ever tried getting a macro lens for the D40/D40x? There is
one, and it is quite expensive! D80 has better lens compatibility for AF,
but has problems with older lenses, and lacks dust reduction. Not until you
get to the D200 do you get similar lens support that the K10 has - D200 is
roughly double the price of the K10.
Canon arguably have the best lens range, but even then there are some holes.
For example until Tokina recently brought out the 10-17 there was no fisheye
for the 1.6x Canons. Of course the Tokina is actually the Pentax lens minus
the SMC coating, but you knew that right? And then there is the price of
Canon lenses - eg the 50/1.4 which is a very handy portrait lens on digital
is roughly twice the price for Canon compared to Pentax - and the Canon lens
isn't as good.
So sure, if you've got money to burn, go Canon.

Today I went trying de 40D, wow , the auto focus speed, so fast.

Yeah, it's quick, not a bad camera (although the ergonomics aren't real
good - you can no longer change things like ISO, exposure compensation etc
without removing the camera from your eye). Bear in mind it is almost double
the price of the K10D too. Other than it's burst speed it doesn't really add
a lot to the K10D. Unless of course you like taking photos at arm length
using the liveview.

My K10D is slower than my S3 IS probably.

The K10D speed depends primarily on the lens, it is much faster with the
genuine Pentax 18-55 than it is with the Sigma 18-50 for example (Canon are
the same - USM lenses are faster than the kit lenses which are faster than
the budget 3rd party lenses). If your S3IS is faster than the K10D, then
either you have a crap 3rd party lens, a faulty camera, or (most likely) the
organic interface has problems.