Pentax K10D

Old September 23rd 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

Default Pentax K10D

"Tyler Heibeck" a écrit dans le message de
I'm thinking about making the leep into DSLR. I was looking at the Pentax
K10D since it looks to be a good mid-range camera, but has some options to
grow in to and learn more from. Does anybody here own this body?
Opinions? Which lens do you find most useful if you do?

Thanks in advance.

Dont forget , Pentax has the slowest auto focus on earth.

Sometimes , in low light situation , it will hunt for ever, better go mf in
those case.

Old September 23rd 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Somebody

I have it and like it a lot. I only use Pentax Lenses I feel that compared
to Sigma and Tamron's that I have tried the Pentax Lenses for the money is
the best option. I have the 50mm 1.4, 50-200, 10-17 and 18-55. I will be
quite soon be adding the 100mm Macro.

Don't buy it because of the weather sealing. Still no weahter sealed lenses.
Also the dust reduction is a gimmick at best. However, the rest of it is
quite good for the money. I would also recommend the grip it makes for a
nice size and weight and a good solid hold, plus the extra batter is also
nice.

Somebody!

Old September 23rd 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Somebody

The JPGs are soft. That is because on the K10D unlike the K100D Pentax went
with detail sharpening and not edge sharpening. So the type of sharpening is
different. However, this I feel is a good thing. It allows you much more
control when it comes to sharpening, better enlargements, less JPG
artifacts, etc.

Pentax will be around for a long time to come. Finding lenses couldn't be
any easier. Amazon.com, B&H, etc. etc. Easy to get. Unlike some of the Canon
and Nikon lenses that can take you over a year to find as they don't
manufacture some of the very well. Also, more older lenses from Pentax will
work with the new cameras, not with Nikon or Canon. Some older ones will but
not clear back to 60's.

Somebody!

Old September 23rd 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell

"Yvon Travailler" wrote in message

"Tyler Heibeck" a écrit dans le message de
I'm thinking about making the leep into DSLR. I was looking at the
Pentax
K10D since it looks to be a good mid-range camera, but has some options
grow in to and learn more from. Does anybody here own this body?
Opinions? Which lens do you find most useful if you do?

Thanks in advance.

Dont forget , Pentax has the slowest auto focus on earth.

Sometimes , in low light situation , it will hunt for ever, better go mf
in
those case.

I call troll. I am going to rebut you simply because there are people using
this thread to learn about a camera that you have obviously never used.
The AF system in the K10D/GX10 is both fast and reliable. During the recent
lunar eclipse, I was able to reliably use AF taking photos of the eclipsed
moon - this with a 300/5.6 lens. Exposures were 4 sec, F5.6, ISO 400, which
corresponds to EV0 at ISO 100. It could do this consistently, reliably, and
without hunting. Personally, I'd consider being able to lock AF on a low
contrast subject, at EV0 with an F5.6 lens to be pretty good. Past
experience with Canon's tells me they wouldn't do this. They might with an
F2.8 lens, but unlikely with F5.6.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell

"Tony Polson" a écrit dans le message de
Tyler Heibeck wrote:

I'm thinking about making the leep into DSLR. I was looking at the

Pentax
K10D since it looks to be a good mid-range camera, but has some options

grow in to and learn more from. Does anybody here own this body?
Opinions? Which lens do you find most useful if you do?

Thanks in advance.

For much of 2007, the Pentax K10D was the top selling DSLR in Japan.
It is a hugely successful camera for Pentax and has consistently sold
at four or five times the expected numbers across Europe and Asia.

not really Canon and Nikon are way over Pentax in sells btw.

Nikon Corp., buoyed by the popularity of its D40 model, sold more digital
single-lens reflex cameras than rival Canon Inc. in the first half of
2007.

Nikon clinched a 47.5-percent share of the domestic market from January to
June, surpassing Canon's 36.5 percent, according to Tokyo-based market
research firm BCN Inc.

In the first half of this year, Pentax Corp. came in third at 6.7 percent,
followed by Sony Corp. at 4.5 percent and Olympus Corp. at 4.3 percent

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...707190113.html

McDonalds and Burger King both sold millions more burgers than the corner
takeaway too. Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.

Old September 24th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ryan Robbins

Tyler Heibeck wrote:

[...]

That would not preclude the K10D from being the best-selling MODEL, though.

Old September 24th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Somebody

One important thing to keep in mind when reading these threads is that there
are three types of opinion givers in this case.

1. The person that feels Nikon and Canon can do no wrong. They would
consider a turd with a lens pushed it to it the best camera in the world if
it has a Nikon or Canon label on it.

2. You have those that buy cameras more on quality of construction, features
for money, image quality, innovations and the like. I am one of these. I
have owned Kodak, Casio, Panasonic, Olypus, Logitech (one of the first
consumer digital cameras ever made, circa 1990), Canon, Nikon and now
Pentax. I boy a camera based on everything else except for brand name. Brand
name means exactly 10% less than squat to me.

3. You have those that will say what ever the camera of the moment is is the
best.

What all of this means is quite simple. Ask for opinions. Read user opinions
on sites like Amazon.com, Circuit City, etc. Read reviews from photo
magazines. Basically get as much information, reviews and user's opinions
you can and then sit down and decide for yourself what's important and what
you want.

I have found my K10D a real learning experince. I like is considerable
better than the Canon 20D I had, which I sold less than a year after getting
it. I like the Pentax lenses I have. Their quality, range of coverage,
speed, etc. is very good for the money. I like that I can use Pentax and
some other brands of lenses going back to 60's and beyond (though most are
used in full manual). I like the quality of construction, the weather
sealing because of the lack of weather sealed lenses is not all that useful
it did mean they had to buid a well made camera body so that it was weather
proof. As far as JPG quality goes, once you get used it you will realize
that Pentax made a good choice. Though I would like to see Pentax add an
edge sharpening option as well. The more control and options the better.

For the price I think it is a bargain. I also like the in camera shake
reduction so that everyone lens you use including the really old ones in
manual mode are stablizied and while Popular Photography's recent article
indicates that in lens stablization is slightly better (more so if you spend
a ton of money on the lens) the advantage of having every lenses attached
the camera stablized is worth the slight hit difference between in body and
in lens stabilization.

Also, the noise level of the K10D is quite good even at 1600 ISO.

Somebody!

Old September 24th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On Sep 23, 11:48 pm, "Somebody" wrote:
[...]

Tyler,

"Somebody!" is giving good advice. In my opinion, the K10D is the best
camera out there for the price: I paid about $700 for mine. With a
lens, you'll get hit a bit harder. There is NO other camera in the
K10D's price class that comes close.

Yup. There are better cameras out there. Start looking at around
$1,000, but concentrate on $1.500 and up. Then think about how many
lenses or other accessories you might buy with the money saved when
you buy the Pentax.

Old September 24th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 23, 11:48 pm, "Somebody" wrote:

"Somebody!" is giving good advice. In my opinion, the K10D is the best
camera out there for the price: I paid about $700 for mine. With a
lens, you'll get hit a bit harder. There is NO other camera in the
K10D's price class that comes close.

Yup. There are better cameras out there. Start looking at around
$1,000, but concentrate on $1.500 and up. Then think about how many
lenses or other accessories you might buy with the money saved when
you buy the Pentax.

Consider also that bodies come and go, but lenses last forever (not quite,
but you get the drift). The K10D is a semi-pro body at a budget price. By
getting an affordable body and putting the extra into lenses, you'll get
better quality photos than you would by getting a better body and cheaper
lenses. Pentax will bring out a K10D killer eventually, and when they do
you'll have the option of sticking with the K10D or getting the better body.
When that day comes you'll already have better lenses to take advantage of
the better body. Even if you end up getting just the cheap kit lens, you'll
still have a better lens than what you'd get with the big-two.