Photoshop elements 6.0

Old October 31st 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tea Sunrise

Default Photoshop elements 6.0

Do you recommend elements 6.0 for a novice photographer. I may or
may not aspire to start using Photoshop in the future. Not sure yet.

And do you recommend the video editing program that is sometimes
bundled with it? Is it better than Windows Movie maker? Thanks for
answering.

Old October 31st 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PhotoShop is a JOKE

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:13:58 -0000, Tea Sunrise wrote:

Do you recommend elements 6.0 for a novice photographer. I may or
may not aspire to start using Photoshop in the future. Not sure yet.

And do you recommend the video editing program that is sometimes
bundled with it? Is it better than Windows Movie maker? Thanks for
answering.

Avoid PhotoShop ANYTHING. It's only a 16-bit math platform, even the latest $700
CS3 is 16-bit math, no better than Windows 1.0 from 22 years ago (16 bit Windows
1.0 started in 1985). 32-bit wasn't started until Windows 3.0/3.1. PhotoShop
isn't even as good as Windows 3.x software. It may look "pretty", but it's a
2-decades-old crippled and suffering dog that should have been put to sleep
that long ago. It also only has bicubic for its best resampling algorithm,
last-century's technique. Anytime you resize or rotate an image to level it the
fine details become smeared and blurred.

Try some of the other editors listed on the page below. You're sure to find one
with the capabilities and price-range you need. And something that's not working
on 20 years old programming foundation. There are many of them that are far
better than PhotoShop and for much less cost. Some of them are even free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aphics_editors

Old October 31st 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

PhotoShop is a JOKE wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:13:58 -0000, Tea Sunrise wrote:

Do you recommend elements 6.0 for a novice photographer. I may or
may not aspire to start using Photoshop in the future. Not sure yet.

And do you recommend the video editing program that is sometimes
bundled with it? Is it better than Windows Movie maker? Thanks for
answering.

Avoid PhotoShop Snipped bits out

This Yahoo's (as in the Jonathon Swift type) posts can safely be
ignored. Unfortunately, he posts under many names, and gets quite
cantakerous, too.

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 31st 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

In article ,
PhotoShop is a JOKE wrote:

Avoid PhotoShop ANYTHING. It's only a 16-bit math platform, even the latest
$700
CS3 is 16-bit math, no better than Windows 1.0 from 22 years ago (16 bit
Windows
1.0 started in 1985).

The day I buy a 32-bit camera, and I will look for a 32-bit program.
Until then, Photoshop is as good a I need and most of the world's best
photographers need. By the way an 8-bit computer can run 32-bit math
software. It just takes the correct programming. After all all
computers are binary (1 bit) machines built and programmed to do bytes.
A 32-bit computer is normally faster, but is not the only show in town.

Photoshop Elements is ideal for photographers. Photoshop CS is more for
printers, illustrators, artists and designers. Photoshop Elements has
some things for photographers that Photoshop CS lacks. Here are some
things that Photoshop Elements has that Photoshop CS doesn't have:

Spot Healing Brush
Impressionist Brush
Selection Brush
Cookie Cutter
Red Eye Removal
Auto Smart Fix
Auto Color Corrections
Adjust Smart Fix
Remove Color Cast
Quick Fix Mode
Process Multiple Files
Divide Scanned Photos
Straighten Image
Photo Bin
Organizer
Reduce Noise

This is based on:

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...p_compared.pdf

Another thing is that I run Photoshop plugins on Photoshop Elements.
There may be some that won't run, but the photography based ones work
just fine. Photoshop Elements is not better or worse, it is different.
It is intended to be a different product entirely that focuses on
digital photography and basically an RGB workflow. For this it is
better than Photoshop. Photoshop Elements has an easier structure than
Photoshop and is more friendly to new users because there are fewer
tools on the surface, but translating that to somehow inferior is
incorrect. The guts of the program are the same as Photoshop, and the
user can enhance the interface along with their growth as a user.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net
Old October 31st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

PhotoShop is a JOKE added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

[...]

I know zero.zero about anything PhotoShop, I'm a PSP fan. But, I
do know something about both integer and floating point
arithmetic on CPUs both the SW and the HW instruction set kind.
So, while I clearly agree with you that anything in this day and
age that is still using 16-bit code isn't even worth of the term
"yestertech".

Now, if we take the math out of the "equation" - sorry, couldn't
resist the pun! - what besides the brief comments of your above
cause you to vehemently condemn PS, even CS3? Yes, I know they're
the market leader because of their past rep and because so-call
pros use it, and yada, yada, but in listening in around here,
there are few people who don't like it, some are very very sold
to the point that even mentioning an editor past Irfanview gets
you flamed for being less than intelligent.

Next spring I intend to get a new quad-core CPU PC built for me,
probably running Vista after the crap associated with that gets
sorted out. My beloved PSP 9 will probably run OK but not at all
be able to take advantage of all that expensive new HW. So, I
will take a look at your link below and start to get smarter.
Thanks. FWIW, I don't think much about MS's photo editor and was
at least casually thinking about PS Elements, so I would be
interested in your more detailed comments and those of others.
All I can say with my self-professed zero knowledge of PS is that
it seems hard to believe that Adobe could sell a $700 app that
smears and blurs an image after only a simple rotate.

Try some of the other editors listed on the page below. You're
sure to find one with the capabilities and price-range you
need. And something that's not working on 20 years old
programming foundation. There are many of them that are far
better than PhotoShop and for much less cost. Some of them are
even free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aphics_editors

--
HP, aka Jerry
Old October 31st 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:13:58 +0000, Tea Sunrise wrote:

Do you recommend elements 6.0 for a novice photographer. I may or
may not aspire to start using Photoshop in the future. Not sure yet.

And do you recommend the video editing program that is sometimes
bundled with it? Is it better than Windows Movie maker? Thanks for
answering.

FWIW - I use ufraw and GIMP.

Old October 31st 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

Photoshop Elements is ideal for photographers. Photoshop CS is more for
printers, illustrators, artists and designers. Photoshop Elements has
some things for photographers that Photoshop CS lacks. Here are some
things that Photoshop Elements has that Photoshop CS doesn't have:

Spot Healing Brush
Impressionist Brush
Selection Brush
Cookie Cutter
Red Eye Removal
Auto Smart Fix
Auto Color Corrections
Adjust Smart Fix
Remove Color Cast
Quick Fix Mode
Process Multiple Files
Divide Scanned Photos
Straighten Image
Photo Bin
Organizer
Reduce Noise

I agree that Elements (I use 5) is an excellent program but it doesn't
have the ability to limit the range of tones that are adjusted by the
shadows/highlights command. Nor does it have lab colour, which I like to use
for some monochromes. It's extraction filter (magic extractor) is better
than the one in CS2. CS2 has the spot healing brush and the match colour
command has a neutralize button that allows me to remove colour casts
easily.

I suspect that in time Elements will get the odd bits I like in CS2 and I'll
stop looking at CS3 - after all I can buy about 5 Elements for 1 CS.

I've just remembered - no curves in Elements, which I use for selective
contrast adjustment.

As I sit here fiddling with pictures on dark autumn nights it's more
foresight when I press the shutter button I need - not a better bit of
software.

John

Old October 31st 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave

HEMI-Powered wrote:

Next spring I intend to get a new quad-core CPU PC built for me,
probably running Vista after the crap associated with that gets
sorted out. My beloved PSP 9 will probably run OK but not at all
be able to take advantage of all that expensive new HW. So, I
will take a look at your link below and start to get smarter.
Thanks. FWIW, I don't think much about MS's photo editor and was
at least casually thinking about PS Elements, so I would be
interested in your more detailed comments and those of others.
All I can say with my self-professed zero knowledge of PS is that
it seems hard to believe that Adobe could sell a $700 app that
smears and blurs an image after only a simple rotate.

I think PSP 9 has some problems with Vista.They released some patch to
make PSPX work with Vista,Then XI and X2 work with Vista out of the box.
You'll have to go at least X for Vista.I prefer PSP too(have PSP 9 and
PSPX)..I'll never have Vista.

Dave

--
"...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the
Old October 31st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
arnold_dancin

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:08:41 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

All I can say with my self-professed zero knowledge of PS is that
it seems hard to believe that Adobe could sell a $700 app that
smears and blurs an image after only a simple rotate.

Even if 5 billion pros are choosing, promoting, and doing a foolish thing it
remains a foolish thing. The number of people doing any one thing is no
testament to them doing the right nor the smart thing. I know of a bunch of
Nazi's that would love to tell you they were right too, and cite how correct
they are by how many were stupid enough to follow and support them.

http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/int...erpolator.html

It's been known that PhotoShop is the absolute worst product ever made for
editing for almost a decade now. (note when these tests were done) But because
some self-appointed pros and pro-following-idiots keep proclaiming how wonderful
it is, none of them have managed to pull their heads out of their asses long
enough to see what gigantic fools they've been all along. They provide for quite
the laugh around those who are smarter and wiser than they'll ever hope to be.

Search for any editor that uses Lanczos interpolation (the same as Sinc in this
sample, Sinc256 being the same as Lanczos8). You'll be light-years ahead of
anything that PhotoShop will ever dish out with any of its rudimentary editing
tools based on 20 year old 16-bit programming.
Old October 31st 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

Dave added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[...]

I know I would need the latest patch on PSPP XI except that there
ain't no way in hell I will ever buy anything from Corel. What
they did to an otherwise competent and low-cost graphics app is
shameful. They mangled the GUI by attempting to add glitch to
seel new versions in some vain attempt to garner $$$ from both
the advanced people and the newbies that might otherwise buy
Elements. And, I cannot get them to answer any of my questions.
Sayonara, PSPP!

Right now, I am with you wrt Vista. However, should I go through
with my "threat" to get a state-of-the-art hot box built next
spring, there really isn't any other O/S that can adequately
handle multi-core AMD chips nor a memory address space beyond 4
gig, and I'd be looking at 2X-3X. So, being that I do not beta
test anything with my Visa card and I have bigger fish to fry
until next year, I can let Vista go through at least its first
SP, see where AMD and the better motherboard people, like Asus
are, what the best ATI video card under that required for 3-D
gaming, and go for it. But, unless Corel really shows me
something truly worth attempting again, and I would surely
download the trial before jumping ship, I need to move to a more
mainstream graphics editor that will do a good job on RAW,
preferably use 48-bit color for most/all functions, etc. That MAY
be Elements or may be PS CS3/4 or something else.

Meanwhile, thanks for your comments. My belief up until now was
that PSP 9 with the 2 updates that Jasc released prior to selling
the company would at least run under Vista, albeit not optimally.
Naturally, I would verify that before doing anything.

--
HP, aka Jerry