Travel Protection

Old August 12th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Travel Protection

Hiya all,

With the new changes on flights and the limits of hand luggage, what is
the best option for protecting cameras, camcorders and lenses on
flights to the USA? Is it to wrap them up in clothes in the main
suitecase, or keep them in the Camera travel rucksack, ask them to
label the bag as fragile and trust to luck?

Old August 12th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gizmo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hiya all,

With the new changes on flights and the limits of hand luggage, what is
the best option for protecting cameras, camcorders and lenses on
flights to the USA? Is it to wrap them up in clothes in the main
suitecase, or keep them in the Camera travel rucksack, ask them to
label the bag as fragile and trust to luck?

We're flying in a few weeks, so I've given some thought to my camera gear
which normally flies hand luggage.

We have a smallish Samsonite suitcase that my camera bag fits in with about
10-12 inches spare are the outside - so I'll pack that out with towels,
socks small articles of clothing.
The wife can use the other suitcase for her clutter. So long as me camera
gear is safe )

Old August 12th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Nobody

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:08:55 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

We have a smallish Samsonite suitcase that my camera bag fits in with about
10-12 inches spare are the outside - so I'll pack that out with towels,
socks small articles of clothing.

I'd look at wrapping them in a few inches thick of bubbble-wrap.
There are reports in some newspapers that insurers will refuse to
insure items such as cameras that travel in the hold - allegedly to
prevent false claims.

Old August 12th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

piperut wrote:

wrote:

Hiya all,

With the new changes on flights and the limits of hand luggage, what is
the best option for protecting cameras, camcorders and lenses on
flights to the USA? Is it to wrap them up in clothes in the main
suitecase, or keep them in the Camera travel rucksack, ask them to
label the bag as fragile and trust to luck?

From what I can gather, in the U.S. it is no liquids in the carry on

luggage. What the news reports said the requiremnet for no hand
luggage is just from London. However, it could be all of the U.K.

If I was trying to go to the U.S. from the U.K right now, I would do
one of a number of things -

Take the train under the English Cannel to France and fly from France.
That way you would still be able to take your carry on luggage.

or ....

See about getting passage on the QM2?

roland

Having flown on the day of the event (in the US), and talking with
TSA and checking updated airline web site security pages, currently
the no carry-on rule is only for international flights to/from
the UK. Domestic US and other international flights still
allow carry-in electronics, just no liquids or gels.

This morning's paper cited airline security experts as saying
to expect the no electronics carry on rule to spread to ALL
flights. Business travelers are already complaining.

Roger
Old August 12th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ernie clyma

Have you checked out Fed-Ex with insurance to your first destination??

Old August 12th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Having flown on the day of the event (in the US), and talking with
TSA and checking updated airline web site security pages, currently
the no carry-on rule is only for international flights to/from
the UK. Domestic US and other international flights still
allow carry-in electronics, just no liquids or gels.

This morning's paper cited airline security experts as saying
to expect the no electronics carry on rule to spread to ALL
flights. Business travelers are already complaining.

I fear the "fear" as I travel with a laptop, cell phone and GPS. I
wouldn't want to have the laptop in checked luggage. The GPS would be
okay, but the cell phone would be an irritant during a plane change.

I guess we can go back to giving presentations on overhead projectors...

Heading down to AZ next week and WA the week after ... not looking
forward to it. I suppose the Hassy would be no problem except for the
Sekonic that goes with it...

Cheers,
Alan.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 13th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Tim" wrote in message
In article . com,
"tomm42" wrote:

wrote:
Hiya all,

With the new changes on flights and the limits of hand luggage, what is
the best option for protecting cameras, camcorders and lenses on
flights to the USA? Is it to wrap them up in clothes in the main
suitecase, or keep them in the Camera travel rucksack, ask them to
label the bag as fragile and trust to luck?

Get a good case, in the US it is Pelican or Halliburton, heavy moulded
plastic or shiny alluminum. Make certain you have a airport security
approved lock. That prevents them from destroying the case to inspect
it. Make certain you have insurance that covers travel, often it is as
simple as getting a rider on your homeowners or renters policy. Since
my out of work photography is amateur the insurance cost me $1.75 per
one hundred dollars of equipment, a small price to pay.

It would be a bad idea to ship a Pelican or Halliburton case alone since
it would attract the attention of thieves. It'll be more secure if you
put either case into standard luggage. That way the screeners will know
what's inside but not the brutes who move the luggage around and load
the planes or thieves at the luggage pickup.

Good idea. I used to follow the Pro Ski Tour all over the country and a
Zero Halliburton case served me very well. Never had a problem with any of
my equipment. The inner foam will have to be replaced over time, but the
case will last forever. If they still allow carryon you can get one that
fits under the seat.