Lens protection

Old April 27th 05, 07:03 PM
Will

Default Lens protection

I'm looking for some lens protection with Hoya skylight filter and I've seen
the 1A and 1B - could anyone explain what is the difference is?
Cheers

Old April 28th 05, 01:54 AM
Sheldon

"Will" wrote in message
I'm looking for some lens protection with Hoya skylight filter and I've
seen
the 1A and 1B - could anyone explain what is the difference is?
Cheers

AFAIK the 1B is a bit stronger, where the 1A is almost clear. For lens
protection the 1A might be your best choice.

Old April 30th 05, 05:15 PM
Nick C

"Will" wrote in message
I'm looking for some lens protection with Hoya skylight filter and I've
seen
the 1A and 1B - could anyone explain what is the difference is?
Cheers

Both filters have a slight pink tint to reduce the the blue cast of
daylight. The IB wil remove more of the blue cast than the 1A yet both will
block out ultraviolet light and tend to reduce a haze effect that might be
in a scene. Both filters are commonly used as lens protectors however, the
user trend has been more towards the 1B, as it does reduce more of the blue
cast of daylight and haze effects than the 1A and also assists in offsetting
the blue cast of flash.

The 1A may be considered a good substitute for a UV filter while the 1B will
add a tad more noticeable warm tone to a scene. If your photographing in mid
day sunlight, or there is a slight overcast, in shadowed areas, or use fill
flash as a normal procedure, then I would recommend using the 1B filter. If
your main interest is in lens protection, shooting night scenes, indoors
using existing light, or you tend to favor a slightly cooler scene than that
of the 1B, then the 1A may be the filter that's best for you.

nick