Photoshop Elements sale: $59 Aug 28 only

Old August 31st 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
otter

Default Photoshop Elements sale: $59 Aug 28 only

On Aug 30, 7:26*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:17:36 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-08-28 17:02:02 -0700, said:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:43:47 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

I received an advert via e-mail that Elements 10 is $40 off.

Code is: ELEMENTSDEAL (online or call center).

US and Canada (except Quebec for reasons that escape me).

Maybe Adopee is Emailing everyone in Quebec about Super Prices that don't exist!

Maybe that's Illegal too! *Maybe it's a kind of BAIT and SWITCH!

Maybe the US/Canada trade commission needs to know about it!

Sorry this is so late - just opened my mail;

That's nuthin!

I got an offer for CS 6 for $300!

I already have elements 10 - don't like it...

Thinking of going for CS6... (need to trade in E10 for the deal.)

Good till Sept I think...

CS6 upgrade is $199, but I didn't know there was an upgrade path from PSE-10.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html

Those with CS3 or CS4 should note some of the limitations and time
constraints, if they are contemplating upgrading.

However, if you have that particular offer which involves a trade-in
deal on PSE-10 for $300 I would jump on it as soon as you can. That is
one Hell of a deal!

It's good till Sept 7 but NOT FOR ME because I live in Quebec and it's excluded!

(I read the FINE PRINT.)

Oh well too bad for Adopee 'cause I won't buy it for more... or any other Adopee
product for that matter.

Hey look Paint Shop Pro full version $39!! (They have layers too, think I'll
send for it and see how it is.)

Oh, one last thing - ****you Adopee!

Quebec is excluded? I'd be willing to bet that the reason has to do
with some arcane regulation of that province, rather than any anti-
Quebec feelings by Adobe. Quebec does have some unusual laws.
Old August 31st 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012.08.30 22:32 , otter wrote:

Quebec is excluded? I'd be willing to bet that the reason has to do
with some arcane regulation of that province, rather than any anti-
Quebec feelings by Adobe. Quebec does have some unusual laws.

Quebec has pretty strong consumer protection via the Civil Code (Quebec
and Louisiana have Civil Code v. the Common Law tradition in all other
provinces and states in Can/US - a legacy of orig. French settlers).

It layers on that regulations for lotteries, drawings and special
promotions. I would bet it's in that last category that Adobe (often
ridiculed for its lawyered up structure) that this falls into.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old August 31st 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012.08.30 22:46 , Alan Browne wrote:
promotions. I would bet it's in that last category that Adobe (often
ridiculed for its lawyered up structure) that this falls into.

Hmm, guess it was Oracle I was thinking of:

http://vsee.com/blog/vsees-organizat...nu_corp_struc/

or http://tinyurl.com/9vsxhu6

Old September 2nd 12, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pablo

tony cooper escribió:

Gimp

It's a replacement for the people who use just the tools in Photoshop
that are present in GIMP. There are an awful lot of people in that
group. That's my point.

waves

I can sharpen, resize, perspectify etc. In fact, I can do some of that
before even starting Gimp, because I mess with the raws in Canon's DPP
first.

People are also saying that in Gimp 2.8 one can do nearly all that can be
done with PS, but you have to know how. Personally, I neither know nor care.

What is the convention in these groups about cross-posting? I got shouted at
once for setting follow-ups, but it just doesn't feel right cross-posting to
3 groups. Kind of goes against the grain.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
The below is a link to an ad for an apartment
for rent. It may or may not be of interest to photographers.
Follow the link at your peril.
http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
Old September 2nd 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-02 04:08:33 -0700, Pablo said:

tony cooper escribió:

Gimp

It's a replacement for the people who use just the tools in Photoshop
that are present in GIMP. There are an awful lot of people in that
group. That's my point.

waves

I can sharpen, resize, perspectify etc. In fact, I can do some of that
before even starting Gimp, because I mess with the raws in Canon's DPP
first.

If that is all you need, and it works for you why worry? Just keep in
mind there might come a time in the future to reexamine any benefit you
might get from CS6 v GIMP. (There is a trial version available.)

People are also saying that in Gimp 2.8 one can do nearly all that can be
done with PS, but you have to know how.

"People are saying." I guess those are GIMP users justifying using GIMP.

Personally, I neither know nor care.

Never say never. There might well come a time.

What is the convention in these groups about cross-posting? I got shouted at
once for setting follow-ups, but it just doesn't feel right cross-posting to
3 groups. Kind of goes against the grain.

X-Posting to groups where the subject is on topic, and where multiple
posting would be a PIA for following the thread is fine. The problem
with setting follow-ups occurs when a responder who only uses one group
disrupts a thread. In the photo-groups a little thought should be made
when it comes to appropriate X-posting. It is not unusual to see
appropriate X-posts between alt.photography & rec.photo.digital for
some subjects, and then to add rec.photo.digital.slr-systems for
others, or to add a fourth group with rec.photo.equipment.35mm for
others.

Needless to say there are times that posting to a single group is the
right thing to do, but if you are considering multi-posts to multiple
groups for an on topic subject, seriously consider using an appropriate
X-Post first.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pablo

On 2012-09-02 04:08:33 -0700, Pablo said:

People are also saying that in Gimp 2.8 one can do nearly all that can be
done with PS, but you have to know how.

"People are saying." I guess those are GIMP users justifying using GIMP.

Seems rather a rash and maybe even petty assumption to make.

I'm guessing that they have some experience of PS to be able to make the
comparison ie; they probably have both. BICBW of course.

Old September 2nd 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-02 04:08:33 -0700, Pablo said:

People are also saying that in Gimp 2.8 one can do nearly all that can be
done with PS, but you have to know how.

"People are saying." I guess those are GIMP users justifying using GIMP.

Seems rather a rash and maybe even petty assumption to make.

Why? There are quite a few of those in these very groups.

I'm guessing that they have some experience of PS to be able to make the
comparison ie; they probably have both. BICBW of course.

Guess again. Amongst us we have some GIMP users who say they have never
used PS, and have no intention of ever using it, and continue to claim
that GIMP does as good a job as PS without ever having used it. In
fact, they take pride in making such biased statements without having
made the comparison.

There are some of us who have actually made the comparison, and GIMP is
lacking, and comes up short when compared with PS CS3/4/5/6 & and
event the latest versions of PSE.

....but it is free, and I guess there is some value in that.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-02 06:32:47 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 05:57:39 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-09-02 04:08:33 -0700, Pablo said:

tony cooper escribió:

Gimp

It's a replacement for the people who use just the tools in Photoshop
that are present in GIMP. There are an awful lot of people in that
group. That's my point.

waves

I can sharpen, resize, perspectify etc. In fact, I can do some of that
before even starting Gimp, because I mess with the raws in Canon's DPP
first.

If that is all you need, and it works for you why worry? Just keep in
mind there might come a time in the future to reexamine any benefit you
might get from CS6 v GIMP. (There is a trial version available.)

People are also saying that in Gimp 2.8 one can do nearly all that can be
done with PS, but you have to know how.

"People are saying." I guess those are GIMP users justifying using GIMP.

Why should a user of a program works for them have to justify using
it?

No reason at all. However there are those GIMP users who overstate the
abilities of GIMP by comparing it to PS without ever having used PS.

I speak of at least one, who claims he has never used PS, and has no
intention to use PS, even as a trial, and will undoubtably make his
opinion known within the next few cycles of this sub-thread.

Savageduck