Used MF Prices --- I Should be Happy but not

Old October 21st 04, 11:23 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Gordon Moat" wrote:

Oh, what where we discussing . . . cameras prices . . . yes, that was it .

.. .

Used GW690III and GSW690III prices are now over the new price in Tokyo.

And used Mamiya 7/7II prices are holding steady.

So much for the "MF prices are falling" theory.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 22nd 04, 08:01 PM
Gordon Moat

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"Gordon Moat" wrote:

Oh, what where we discussing . . . cameras prices . . . yes, that was it .

. .

Used GW690III and GSW690III prices are now over the new price in Tokyo.

That figures. Fuji decide to announce discontinuing production of some
rangefinder cameras, and the used prices go crazy.

And used Mamiya 7/7II prices are holding steady.

I see more uncompleted EBAY auctions for these, than I do completed auctions.
While I have only read a few articles about this, it has been suggested by
others that maybe the used Mamiya 7 body prices are too high on the used
market. The lenses are a different situation, and I don't expect them to change
in price that much.

So much for the "MF prices are falling" theory.

It depends upon what brands, and what cameras, you follow. The Mamiya RB67
prices used are quite low for a complete and ready to go kit. Some Rollei 6000
gear is lower used than a couple years ago, and of course Hasselblad V series
items can go for less than a few years ago.

Since Tamron announced discontinuation of all Bronica cameras except the RF645,
I have seen used ETRSi and SQ-Ai prices really drop. The used RF645 prices have
been more steady, and I have not seen enough GS series Bronicas used to judge
those prices.

Used Pentax 67 gear has dropped in the last couple years, and really seems to
be the bargain in 6x7. Prices are almost as low as used Mamiya RB67 gear.

Some prices are lower, though the more popular gear will likely retain some
collector appeal, or just enough popularity to prevent any price changes to
happen any time soon.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old April 4th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob B[_2_]

Default Used MF Prices --- I Should be Happy but not

MATT WILLIAMS wrote:
The main point of the post is how long will 120 film be made ? I don't want
to spend a 1000 dollars on equipment that I will not be able to get film for
in two years or so. However, if 120 film has five years or more in
production then at current used prices for MF equipment I could justify in
my mind the expenditure. I am sure that many people in this newsgroup have
the same question. It really has nothing to do with unconditional love of
film but where to put the resources at hand.
"jjs" wrote in message ...
"MATT WILLIAMS" wrote in message
[...]
I still love MF and want to keep using film.
[...] Yet, if I can not get the 120 film in a few years it will be a

waste
to buy more [...]

So your love of film is conditional, eh? Think of how many pictures you

can
make in a few years and be happy.

Matt.

120 roll film will be around for a while, as will 5x4 as both are
enjoying something of a renaissance at the moment,this is mainly due to
the amount of reasonable MF kit coming into the market as Pro's move
into high end digital backs.

There are other manufacturer's of film suck as Ilford who are currently
releasing their latest emulsions in 120 format. Of late Fuji relented to
pressure and reintroduced the famous Velvia 50, so film is not dead just
yet. As for the 220 format that may soon disappear ( a couple of years
or so) as it is becoming more and more difficult to source.

If you are not doing your own developing then please look for a good Pro
Lab' to get the best from your film.

120 has been about since the late 1890's (I think). Apart from the film
stock chemistry evolving during this time, the only other changes have
been the move to plastic reels, and the little foil bags the films come in.

The Italian company Bergger has in the past year or so released a 15 ASA
(Bergger BRF-15) B&W emulsion, although now available in both 35mm it
was first released on the 120 format. I doubt that a company would do
that if it felt the format wad a dead duck.

Enjoy film.

Rob.
Old April 4th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

My standard answer to these 120 film worries is this:
There's enough 120 film sitting in store shelves, warehouses,
in photographer's freezers etc. that if all production
stopped tomorrow, which it won't, the remaining stock will last
way over 2 years.
Old April 4th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

My standard answer to these 120 film worries is this:
There's enough 120 film sitting in store shelves, warehouses,
in photographer's freezers etc. that if all production
stopped tomorrow, which it won't, the remaining stock will last
way over 2 years.

It depends upon the film. Color film will deteriorate due to aging and
have a color shift. Being kept in the freezer will slow this down the most,
a refrigerator not as much. If you don't care about subtle color shifts,
even film kept at room temperature will be good for 5-10 years.

All film will be subject to fogging due to cosmic radiation, no matter
what temperature you keep it at, and where you keep it. ISO 1600 film
will start to show noticable fog in about 2 years, ISO 100 in about 32.
Of course it all depends upon your definition of noticable fog.

My expectation is that long before refrigerated film is no longer truely
useable, environmental or anti-terrorist laws will restrict the
availability of processing chemicals and the lack of replacement parts,
batteries and skilled labor to repair your cameras will render them all
display items.

So stock up on film, buy your cameras and have fun. Just be aware that if you
can buy 120 (or any other) film locally, you may not be able to get it in a
few years, and you will have to mail order it. It depends upon where you live.

Geoff.

Old April 4th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

I still have the luxury of being able to buy 120 film (bw negative,
color negative, slide) locally but I'm already used to ordering
online. Ordering large heaps of film online for cheap prices is a
perfectly good practice which is nothing to be afraid of, if it comes
to that