Scanning Thousands of Slides

Old July 7th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

Default Scanning Thousands of Slides

DD wrote:
In article op.tb9sb9jej9nxpm@clive,
says...

Having recently moved to digital I too have slides to scan (15,000 - since
the early 70's)

I see many very big hard drives in your future.

What's the point of scanning them all in anyway? Are you going to be
looking at them again anytime soon? Are you running an image library?

I think as photographers we get these silly notions in our heads about
keeping our past current with technology. If you really feel the urge to
scan all your old film, ask yourself why first.

I've also recently invested in a film scanner and after spending hours
scanning a few selected images into the hard drive (each resulting in
monster size TIFFs), I have no desire to digitise the archive. Let 'em
be archived the way they were shot - as film...

Couldn't agree more! When I retired I was going to scan all of my
personal work - slides, 4x5 6x6 and 35mm negs..... But then I asked my
self "What for, who's going to look at them?". I've probably got about
50 images that I think are worth hanging on the wall, they're the ones
I'll make an effort to keep. The rest can stay as trannies or negs, my
kids can have a big bonfire of the lot when I go. That's after being an
enthusiastic amateur and a professional scientific photographer for 45
years. I'm sure we only keep the old stuff for ego's sake.

My advice is leave the old stuff in the old technology, as DD says.
Phil
Old July 7th 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

DD wrote:

In article op.tb9sb9jej9nxpm@clive,
says...

Having recently moved to digital I too have slides to scan (15,000 -
since the early 70's)

I see many very big hard drives in your future.

Why? Dump them all to DVD.
Old July 7th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

DD wrote:

In article 7eqrg.5928$283.4556@trnddc08,
says...
DD wrote:

In article op.tb9sb9jej9nxpm@clive,

says...

Having recently moved to digital I too have slides to scan (15,000
- since the early 70's)

I see many very big hard drives in your future.

Why? Dump them all to DVD.

I see many, many DVD's in your future.

50 or so already. )
Old July 7th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

nathantw wrote:

Kodak used to make a "professional" film that would give you both slides
and negatives back I don't remember how it worked....Obviously the film in
the

You sure it was Kodak that marketed that? I remember one company marketing
that type of film. The film was actually motion picture film spooled onto
35mm. I guess with that particular film you get negative and positive
images. I tried it once and it was okay, but I never stuck with it.

It was Dale Labs in Florida. They offered slides & negatives from any
film. Still do.

http://www.dalelabs.com/filmservices...rintfilms.html

URL may wrap ... here's the tiny url version:

http://tinyurl.com/nm4og

They also marketed repackaged Kodak motion picture film that was easier
for them to process for both slides & negatives.

Old July 7th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

Ken Weitzel wrote:

no_name wrote:

Andrey Tarasevich wrote:

Frank Pittel wrote:

I was finding that sitting and watching the grass grow was more
interesting then scanning slides! I disagree with starting with the
"important" slides first. After those are done there will be little
to motivate you to keep scanning the unimportant ones!

You can always try scanning several slides at the same time! Meaning
that you just stack two or, say, five of them on top of each other and
scan all at once as a single frame.

Nope. Doesn't work. They keep getting stuck in the slot.

You can maybe jam 'em in 3 at a time, but it's still real hard getting
'em out so you can put in the next batch.

Sorta the same as those old 3.5 inch floppies. Time they got to
saying "insert disk 3" you needed a hammer to get it in there.

Ever manage to get 5.25 floppies to work in there?
Old July 7th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham wrote:
Kodak used to make a "professional" film that would give you both slides and
negatives back I don't remember how it worked....Obviously the film in the
camera was either one or the other, and they had to make the, "other" in the
lab. In those days they designated their film types with a number. Today,
they give them some Mickey Mouse name, and so you don't know what you are
really using.....It's all part of the "dumbing down" of the society that has
taken place during my lifetime.

There never was a film that offered both slides and negatives per se. There
may have been a time when one could order slides made from negatives [thus
"printing to slides"] or perhaps negatives made from slides [thus printing to
negative film]. The fact is that slide "color reversal film" is by definition
not a negative and further, the slide is the film itself, just as the
negatives are the film itself ... you can't get both from the same roll of
film.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old July 7th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
[...]

Hi Thomas...

Way way back in the dusty dark corners of my memory I recall
reading something, somewhere about a "dual film" film. Two layers
of film sandwiched together so they'd be exposed simultaneously, one
being reversal film and the other a plain jane negative.

Having said that, never used it, nor even saw it offered for sale.

Digging even further back, I'd like to suggest that it may have
been Polaroid who was involved.

Gonna google around a bit; see what comes up.

Take care.

Ken