Best 2GB compact flash card

Old August 15th 05, 06:50 PM
Dick Snyder

Default Best 2GB compact flash card

I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about to buy
a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I read a review
from someone who had trouble with this card shooting an airshow where the
temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the camera to make the card
work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you recommend either a good card or
a good website where I can read reviews (this guy had read all the reviews
on the SanDISK card but no one mentioned heat issues). Of course the problem
COULD have been expansion in his camera somehow causing a faulty electrical
connection with the card but I have no way of knowing that (he was using a
Canon EOS 20D).

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Old August 15th 05, 08:27 PM
David J Taylor

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about
to buy a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I
read a review from someone who had trouble with this card shooting an
airshow where the temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the
camera to make the card work. This was a big surprise to me.

... and to me as well. No such problems with the Nikon Coolpix 8400
(SanDisk Ultra II CF) nor with the Pansonic FZ5 with SanDisk Ultra II SD
cards. Sounds like a faulty camera as you say.

David

Old August 15th 05, 08:30 PM
Cordovero

.. and to me as well. No such problems with the Nikon Coolpix 8400
(SanDisk Ultra II CF) nor with the Pansonic FZ5 with SanDisk Ultra II SD
cards. Sounds like a faulty camera as you say.

As John Stovall mentioned, it seems that the difference between the Sandisk
Ultra II and the Sandisk Extreme is, according to Sandisk's site, really
just that the latter is better at dealing with hot and cold temperatures,
which would indicate that Sandisk realizes there are temperature issues with
the Ultra II.

Old August 15th 05, 08:53 PM
David J Taylor

Cordovero wrote:
.. and to me as well. No such problems with the Nikon Coolpix 8400
(SanDisk Ultra II CF) nor with the Pansonic FZ5 with SanDisk Ultra
II SD cards. Sounds like a faulty camera as you say.

As John Stovall mentioned, it seems that the difference between the
Sandisk Ultra II and the Sandisk Extreme is, according to Sandisk's
site, really just that the latter is better at dealing with hot and
cold temperatures, which would indicate that Sandisk realizes there
are temperature issues with the Ultra II.

Agreed the temperature ranges are different (although I couldn't find it
quickly on the site), but 33C hardly seems to justify a military
temperature range specification!

David

Old August 15th 05, 09:25 PM
SleeperMan

John A. Stovall wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:50:45 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about
to buy a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I
read a review from someone who had trouble with this card shooting
an airshow where the temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the
camera to make the card work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you
recommend either a good card or a good website where I can read
reviews (this guy had read all the reviews on the SanDISK card but
no one mentioned heat issues). Of course the problem COULD have been
expansion in his camera somehow causing a faulty electrical
connection with the card but I have no way of knowing that (he was
using a Canon EOS 20D).

Get the SanDisk Extreme III.

SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash cards are tested in extreme
temperature ranges from -13 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit so that they
can be used to shoot photos in any weather condition

that's true, but rumors are that they are tend to fail.
Maybe it's camera's fault for overheating, not card's?

Old August 15th 05, 09:31 PM
Bill Hilton

Dick Snyder wrote ...

I was about to buy a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card ...
when I read a review from someone who had trouble with this
card shooting an airshow where the temp was 92 degrees.

I use the Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB, Extreme II 2 GB and various Lexar 1-2
GB cards from 32x to 80x and have never had a card problem, even
shooting in the desert at 105 - 110 F for many days this spring and
summer or when shooting in the low teens last winter. So I personally
don't think it's the card.

He had to keep cooling the camera to make the card
work. This was a big surprise to me.

The Ultra II is tested at 0 - 70 C so should be good out to 158 F. The
camera will quit long before that. Hell, you'll quit long before that
As John points out, the Extreme is rated for a wider range (up to
185 F) but this most likely isn't the problem.

Even if the temperature was hotter the card wouldn't fail, it would
just slow down below the rated speed (speaking from 20 years designing
IC chips). I'm not sure what the max temp rating of the 20D is but I'm
certain it's rated to fail long before 158 F, possibly as low as 110 F
or lower? I shoot mostly with a 1D Mark II, which is a lot more rugged
and sealed than a 20D, yet it's only rated from 32 - 113 F with
humidity 85% or less, which is a joke since I've often shot with it
colder than freezing, a few times hotter than 113 F and many times at
100% humidity when it was raining steadily.

Can you recommend either a good card or
a good website where I can read reviews

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6270-6330

Get the Ultra or the Extreme and start shooting

Bill

Old August 15th 05, 09:52 PM
Dick Snyder

Thanks Bill. Ultra II it is!
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dick Snyder wrote ...

Old August 16th 05, 12:06 AM
MarkČ

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am the new owner of a Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 camera. I was about to buy
a SANDISK Ultra II 2GB Flash card on www.newegg.com when I read a review
from someone who had trouble with this card shooting an airshow where the
temp was 92 degrees. He had to keep cooling the camera to make the card
work. This was a big surprise to me. Can you recommend either a good card
or a good website where I can read reviews (this guy had read all the
reviews on the SanDISK card but no one mentioned heat issues). Of course
the problem COULD have been expansion in his camera somehow causing a
faulty electrical connection with the card but I have no way of knowing
that (he was using a Canon EOS 20D).

TIA.

Dick Snyder

I suspect his problems had nothing to do with the card...unless it was
defective.
I've used SanDisk cards from well below freezing, to 115 F.
If there was ever a worry, it didn't concern the card.

Old August 16th 05, 01:40 PM
SleeperMan

John A. Stovall wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Been using them for Six month's daily in my Canon and no problems...

Ok, so maybe you're lucky, and maybe that rumors are wrong...

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745

Old August 16th 05, 04:13 PM
Bill Hilton

SleeperMan wrote ...

... and maybe that rumors are wrong...

Do you have some links to these rumors (of Sandisk cards failing)?

Often these kind of rumors don't hold up (typically operator error) but
sometimes they turn out to be true, like the Lexar problems with
certain Canon cameras on certain date-stamped cards, so it's always
wise to check them out just in case

Bill