Need help trying to figure out how fast a CF card to buy

Old August 13th 05, 04:57 PM
Dick Snyder

Default Need help trying to figure out how fast a CF card to buy

I am about to purchase a Konica Minolta DiAMAGE A2 or A200. Of course
neither comes with an external storage. The 64mb internal memory can hold 2
raw frames or 3 extra fine JPG frames (8MB image). I can't find any specs
about the time it takes to transfer images from the camera memory to an
external card (compact flash, microdrive or secure digital). Is internal
memory to external card the limit on how fast I can flush the internal
memory to the external card or is it just the transfer rate of the external
card? I am guessing the latter but I don't know for sure so I thought
someone on one of these two groups could help me.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Old August 13th 05, 05:07 PM
David J Taylor

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am about to purchase a Konica Minolta DiAMAGE A2 or A200. Of course
neither comes with an external storage. The 64mb internal memory can
hold 2 raw frames or 3 extra fine JPG frames (8MB image). I can't
find any specs about the time it takes to transfer images from the
camera memory to an external card (compact flash, microdrive or
secure digital). Is internal memory to external card the limit on how
fast I can flush the internal memory to the external card or is it
just the transfer rate of the external card? I am guessing the latter
but I don't know for sure so I thought someone on one of these two
groups could help me.

Do these help, Dick?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...aa2/page11.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...a200/page5.asp

The write rates of today's CF cards (9MB/s or better) usually exceed the
ability of this class of camera.

David

Old August 13th 05, 05:26 PM
Dick Snyder

Thanks David, Those do help. It looks like the limit is on the camera memory
to CF transfer speed (contrary to what I thought) so I woiuld be wasting
money to get anything super fast as the camera can only transfer at
760KB/sec.

Dick
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...

Old August 13th 05, 05:29 PM
Dick Snyder

David,

I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200 would not
warrant buying a super high performance CF.

Dick

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...

Old August 13th 05, 05:48 PM
David J Taylor

Dick Snyder wrote:
David,

I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200
would not warrant buying a super high performance CF.

Dick

But one advantage you may get is in faster transfers between the memory
card and the PC. I would recommend something like the SanDisk Ultra II
with a write speed of 9MB/s and a read speed of 10MB/s (IIRC, so-called
60X and 66X compared to a 1X CD!).

David

Old August 13th 05, 06:23 PM
Dick Snyder

That sounds like an excellent recommendation David. I think I will do
exactly that. I can get a better price than going for the SanDisk Extreme.
The SanDisk II 1GB card is just about $85 in the US vs around $120 for the
Extreme.

Thanks.

Dick
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...

Old August 13th 05, 08:54 PM
Cordovero

Elite Pro is $46...
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...975&adid=17662

Old August 13th 05, 09:54 PM
Dick Snyder

Ooops. I just looked at the Konica Minolta website. They say that the
Sandisk SDCFB series cards are the biggest (and fastest) SanDisk cards that
will work with the KM DiAMAGE A2 or A200 cameras. I don't know how to tell
if their website is just not up to date or if in fact I need to go to these
smaller (and slower I think) cards. Does anyone know a good resource that
will let me find out for sure?

Dick Snyder

"David J Taylor"
wrote in