FS: Vintage Hasselblad System

Old November 26th 04, 02:02 AM
Bob Ford

Default FS: Vintage Hasselblad System

If you are interested in moving into a MF film camera system you
should seriously consider this........

I have had this equipment for several years and most of it was
purchased new. The items I purchased used were in mint condition when
I bought them and still are. Equipment used mainly for weddings and
auto racing.

I recently had everything checked out by a local repair shop and only
thing needing any fixing is the felts were replaced in the 2 A12
backs. Everything is in near perfect condition, both mechanically and
cosmetically. Upon request, I will provide photos to serious buyers.

I will ONLY sell the equipment as a full package so please don't ask
about breaking it up. I would also prefer to sell to a buyer close
enough to complete the sale in person but I am willing to ship it.
I am in the S.F. Bay Area.

Here is the compete list of what I have to offer:

1 500CM Body
1 80mm f2.8 Zeiss Planar T* lens
1 50mm f4 Zeiss Distagon T* lens
2 A12 Backs (120 film)
1 Hass. 45 Degree Prism with extra focus screens
1 Hass. fitted pistol grip (mounts on LH side of camera)
1 Hass. flash bracket extension arm (centers flash over lens)
1 3 piece set Hass. Proxars (0.5m, 1m, and 2m)
1 Hass. Selenium cell light meter (clips onto lens hood)
1 Gossen SBC Super Pilot light meter
1 Hass fitted aluminum case (holds the entire system)
1 Hass 5 image prism lens plus misc cross star screens.
Portions of a Cokin filter holder set.

Equipment was appraised by my repair shop at average retail $4800.00
and wholesale average of $4000.00.

The entire system is yours for ONLY $2000.00 PLUS Shipping.

Any questions you can call me at 1.925.240.5855 or
e-mail at

Bob Ford

Bob Ford
Images In Motion
www.imagesinmotion.com
Old November 26th 04, 03:47 AM
Gary G

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:02:04 GMT, Bob Ford
wrote:

[...]

I doubt if anybody is seriously considering moving to film MF.
perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, hassy is a fraction of their past
heritage and worth. What year is the body and what years are the
mags? Folks would certainly like to know this.

A 500CM is a very basic system. If the lenses are not CF, that makes
them worth much less. If the 45 degree finder is not an exposure
unit, then it too is not worth all that much. IMO, I dumped all Hassy
stuff just at the right time. Three 503CW bodies with seven lenses
(and the awesome 180 CF) are gone. All is digital now. There are
certainly niche uses for the Hassy. But these are dwindling day by
day, IMO. I took many marvelous pix with the Hassy/Zeiss combination.
But it just does not pencil out any longer.

good luck.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Old November 27th 04, 07:26 PM
Jos. Burke

"I doubt if anybody is seriously considering moving to film MF.
perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, hassy is a fraction of their past
heritage and worth. "
"IMO, I dumped all Hassy
stuff just at the right time. Three 503CW bodies with seven lenses
(and the awesome 180 CF) are gone. All is digital now. There are
certainly niche uses for the Hassy. But these are dwindling day by
day, IMO. I took many marvelous pix with the Hassy/Zeiss combination"
Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746

Your Ass!! Yes, some remarks do apply but don't overdo it !!
Sure you dumped you Hassy system but I'm sure you lost some quality as
well--tell me I'm not wrong!! For someone interested in serious quality the
Hasselblad system is still top dog---especially for an enthusiast or that
niche filler!!
I assume there are some interested and looks like a decent buy if these
are wanted items. Sure!! I shoot digital too BUT my Hasselblad still rules.
But then I guess that depends on the quality of the product you produce!!
Digital is getting there but NOT YET!! Yea, I like the immediate results of
digital but damn it sure isn't Hasselblad results NOW IS IT!! No it may not
pencil in but again that depends on what your selling quality wise!

Joseph Burke

Old November 27th 04, 08:55 PM
Bob Ford

wrote:

[...]

Gary, as my ad states, this is vintage, classic equipment. Most of the
stuff is mid to late 70's but I repeat, everything is in perfect
condition, both mechanically and cosmetically.

I will be happy to send pix to serious buyers although they will not
be nearly as good quality as what my Hass does as they were shot on
digital ;-^)

BTW Jos. Burke thanks for your kind remarks. I have been working in
the photo industry for over 40 years, first in stills and the last 20
in video. I agree that digital is now close to film but I have my
doubts that digital can equal what my Hass does.

You are also correct, this is a very excellent buy for somone wanting
to get into a small Hass system.

Bob Ford
Images In Motion
www.imagesinmotion.com
Old November 27th 04, 09:25 PM
Douglas Tourtelot

Next, there will be someone who states that 4x5' film "doesn't pencil out."
Niche markets are just that, niches. That's why you can still buy 35mm
film, 120/220 film, 4x5' film (yes, even 8x10 " film and larger). Also,
soon, a digital sensor back for the Leica R9, already, very high quality
digital capture backs for that ancient and of-no-good-use Hasselblad 500CM,
and gasp! digital capture for 4x5" view cameras. They are all just tools;
and very good ones too. Me? I use plenty of 120 film in both my
Hasselblads and my Dianabg. Oh and digital too.

D.

Old December 13th 04, 02:09 AM
Gary G

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:26:24 -0600, "Jos. Burke"
wrote:

[...]

Not my ass. It is experience. Indeed, the Hassy was very good.
Emphasis on "was." IMO, it is/was not really the Hassy body that made
the difference but was the Zeiss optics. The change from 120 to 220
made a big difference in final image quality due to improved film
plane flatness. Consequently, I stuck with 220 E-6 and C-41.

Whatever, there are more new digital units being introduced than there
are film units. That is my perception. It is a change in technology.
But if you look at any of my images (camera only) on
http://photoweb.net you likely cannot tell the difference between the
high cost Hassy and low cost Pentax 67. I still retain Pentax 645af
and have no motive to remove it. But the main instruments are Nikon
D1x and D2x. If I was in a studio, likely, things would be different.

I'm bummed but somewhat consoled about the continual discontinuance of
E-6, C-41 and b/w products. This trend should send a message to all
photogs. The film options are narrowing while the digital options are
exploding. This does not mean that the new options are great. Just
stand back and see the trend. It is not towards film. Even Hassy has
the H1 digital. Fine. No thanks. If you want great Zeiss optics on
35mm format, try Contax RTS-III or Zeiss R. Been there, done that.
Nikon digital SLR and the venerable Pentax 645n work for me. But of
course, YMMV.

However, I feel grateful and lucky that I dumped the Hassy system when
I did, just like a stock that was at or near its peak.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Old February 21st 05, 12:52 PM
jjs

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message

I doubt if anybody is seriously considering moving to film MF.

Your world view is skewed rather badly.

perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, hassy is a fraction of their past
heritage and worth.

Generally used Hasselblad equipment is discounted a lot, but that has no
bearing on its quality. The OP is way off on his estimate, but the market
will find its level.

A 500CM is a very basic system. If the lenses are not CF, that makes
them worth much less.

[...] All is digital now.

Except for pencil pushers who live in the muck of low standards.

Old February 21st 05, 12:55 PM
jjs

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message

Whatever, there are more new digital units being introduced than there
are film units. That is my perception. It is a change in technology.

There are more three-cylinder micro-cars being made than Ferraris, too.

But if you look at any of my images (camera only) on
http://photoweb.net you likely cannot tell the difference between the
high cost Hassy and low cost Pentax 67.

On the screen, nobody can tell your camera is a dog.

However, I feel grateful and lucky that I dumped the Hassy system when
I did, just like a stock that was at or near its peak.

I see! You photograph with your wallet.

Old February 21st 05, 12:57 PM
jjs

"Bob Ford" wrote in message

[... Bob reminds us he is asking $2000 ...]

Whoops! I missed that part when I suggested you were asking too much. If the
backs all match, and the hardware is in EX condition, then you are closer to
the mark.

Old February 21st 05, 03:36 PM
Douglas Tourtelot

And, Hasselblad is now marketing a lovely digi back for the 500 series for
less than $10,000 that should be quite a match for those Zeiss lenses.

D.