The Extinct Cable Release Socket

Old November 13th 03, 03:56 PM
Mike King

Default The Extinct Cable Release Socket

My 8008s uses a switch rather than a mechanical cable release but guess
what? Nikon makes a cable release adapter that screws into the same port so
I can use a mechanical cable release. The little windup self timers are
still available from Prontor and now cost more than some new cameras--about
$150 last time I looked.

The thing I really miss? Mirror lockup. Can't think of an electronic work
around for that one.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Seamor" wrote in message
I have a question that no one seems to ask. I guess that's because

today's
photographers don't even know that there was such a thing.
However, this question will greatly interest us old timers, I'm sure.

What
ever happened to cable release sockets on cameras?

I'm all for eliminating useless things and modernizing others, but the
cable release was one of the most useful things on a camera. If your

hands
are little unsteady, as mine are, it was always easier for me to steady

the
camera by squeezing the cable release than it was to press the shutter.

If
the camera you preferred did not have a self-timer, Kodak made a handy
little gadget that you hooked onto the end of your cable release. You

wound
it up and it gave you about ten seconds before it would push the cable
release and trip the shutter. If you were using your camera on a tripod,

it
was so much easier, and I think more professional, to push the cable

release
than to manually push the shutter release, assuring yourself of absolutely
no camera movement.

I guess the elimination of the very convenient cable release socket was
someone's convoluted idea of progress. I can only hope that that kind of
progress doesn't kill us all some day soon.

Old November 13th 03, 03:57 PM
Mike King

Not only that but a lot of today's cameras are pretty well sealed and the
idea was to eliminate a big intrusive HOLE in the camera's top plate.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Randy Stewart" wrote in message

"Seamor" wrote in message
I have a question that no one seems to ask. I guess that's because

today's
photographers don't even know that there was such a thing.
However, this question will greatly interest us old timers, I'm sure.

What
ever happened to cable release sockets on cameras?

I think we all know what happened. As electric releases took over designs,
the mechanical cable release, which was and is easy to design into and
electruc system, was eliminated as being either not stylish or a penny
saved.

I first ran into this issue in 1976 when I added a MD-11 power drive to a
nikon FM - no mechanical release on the drive. I lost all direct cable
release when I later moved to a nikon 8008S. Nikon's provides electrical
equivalents of a cable release. It also sells a more traditionally styled
mechanical release switch whihc plugs into an accessory electrical release
socket and which will take a cable relase as well, thereby coming "full
circle" if you want to put out for the accessory switch.

Old November 17th 03, 07:33 PM
Ted Harris

Cable release sockets are still there so is the morror lockup function ....
just not on the lower priced cameras.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire