Looking for a monopod - what kind of head do I choose ?

Old June 10th 04, 09:37 PM
Philippe Lauwers

Default Looking for a monopod - what kind of head do I choose ?

Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I'd be glad te get some - well motivated if possible - suggestions ...

Thx a lot,

Philippe

Old June 10th 04, 10:12 PM
nicholas

Philippe Lauwers wrote:
Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I'd be glad te get some - well motivated if possible - suggestions ...

Thx a lot,

Philippe

A manfrotto #234 is a goodie. Cheap, about $25US here, and good to work with
Old June 10th 04, 10:14 PM
John Fryatt

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote in message
i.nl...
Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly

be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera

directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I use the Manfrotto tilt head. It is a simple head which simply moves in one
plane only, enabling you to turn the camera on it's side. Quite neat and
compact, and you can get it in simple screw-on or quick-release form. This
is for sports and general stuff. You can point the camera up and down to
some extent by leaning the whole monopod, and obviously turn the camera by
turning the whole monopod.
If you want to point the camera up and down to a more extreme extent then a
small B&S head would probably be better.
I did have the Manfrotto rubber flexhead but didn't like it at all. The
force required to tilt the camera was too much, and you have to maintain the
force to keep the camera where it is (when tilted over) so it doesn't help
with camera stability.

John

Old June 10th 04, 10:24 PM
Alan Browne

Philippe Lauwers wrote:

Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I'm not familiar with the flexible head (seen it in the catalog,
but that's it).

I use a medium sized ball head to good effect, although with
collar mount lenses this needs a little rehearsal to avoid
clumsiness (eg, you forget to tighten the collar then you loosen
the ball and have a dual articulated finger pincher).

Recently some photographers here (Tuthill, Kirkpatrick,
"Banidcoot") have advised the use of a "single axis" head which
tilts fore-aft, but not sideways. This is the optimum and
possibly cheaper than a ball head. But a ball head works fine
too if you want to share it 'tween a tripod and the mono.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 10th 04, 10:26 PM
Tony Spadaro

Go with a ball head - You can use it on your tripod too, and basically there
is real neiusance value in having a tilt only or pan only head. I have one
of those rubber thingies - forget it - I use it as a hand grip for my
panoramic camera, as it stinks as a monopod head.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old June 11th 04, 12:50 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote in message
i.nl...
Oops, I did it again ... sorry for cross-posting, but I 'm looking for a
monopod to use with both my Nikon and Hasselblad equipment, so it might be
approprioate, no ?

I have the Velbon MUP 4-G. It's a heavy metal monster. But really solid. I
don't use it much, but it'll hold my extreme telephoto lens (150mmg) rock
solid.

Velbon has a new line of CF monopods (Sherpa pro pods) that look like CF
versions of the MUP 4-G. The top of the line is taller than I need, and I'm
6'2".

http://www.studiospirala.cz/velbon/table_mono_pods.htm

As far as choosing a monopod is concerned, I guess my choice will mostly

be
determined by cost, weight, size, ...

On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera

directly
to the monopod ? Or are there any other options (the rubber flexible
Manfrotto-head, for instance) ?

I just use the same head I use on my tripod.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 11th 04, 04:33 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Philippe Lauwers wrote:
On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use with a
monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ? Do I mount the camera directly
to the monopod ?

Depends on the kind of photography you are into...

As long as your target is close to horizon (landscapes, architecture,
most of sports) you can do much without a head, especially with the
square Hassy. You can even feel with your fingers, if the camera isn't
horizontal, because it leans to some direction. Useful in a hilly
environment.

I don't have a dedicated head for the monopod. Usually I don't use
anything between it and the camera (which usually is a Rolleiflex TLR).
Sometimes a hinge is necessary, and then I use a ball head for a tripod.

-- Lassi
Old June 12th 04, 02:48 AM
dadiOH

Philippe Lauwers wrote:
On the other hand, I don't have a clue on what type of head to use
with a monopod yet. Should I buy a small ballhead ?

Ballhead. If the Leitz is still around there is none finer...it is small
but will hold virtually anything.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...

Old June 12th 04, 08:52 AM
TP

"dadiOH" wrote:

Ballhead. If the Leitz is still around there is none finer...it is small
but will hold virtually anything.

It is still available. Not cheap but very, very good.