Next stupid newbie question -- red camera icon

Old August 23rd 05, 04:55 AM
beeswing

Default Next stupid newbie question -- red camera icon

Okay, I've found this once in the user manual and can't find it again
and am getting too frustrated to look further. I think I actually may
have figured out my way around the focus problems, given the help I've
gotten (thanks!). But now I get a little red camera icon...which
admittedly I did find in the manual but now can't remember where it
was...which means...WHAT???? I am an technical editor, and my job is
largely presenting information so that it can be easily understood and
located (my kingdom for an index on this damn manual!). So could
someone less confused than I am tell me what's the little red camera
icon, what do I do about it, and geez is this s'posed to be easier than
it is? I thought the FZ5 would be more intuitive than it is...or maybe
I'm just less bright than I thought *I* was. It's possible.

beeswing

Old August 23rd 05, 07:26 AM
David J Taylor

beeswing wrote:
Okay, I've found this once in the user manual and can't find it again
and am getting too frustrated to look further. I think I actually may
have figured out my way around the focus problems, given the help I've
gotten (thanks!). But now I get a little red camera icon...which
admittedly I did find in the manual but now can't remember where it
was...which means...WHAT???? I am an technical editor, and my job is
largely presenting information so that it can be easily understood and
located (my kingdom for an index on this damn manual!). So could
someone less confused than I am tell me what's the little red camera
icon, what do I do about it, and geez is this s'posed to be easier
than it is? I thought the FZ5 would be more intuitive than it is...or
maybe I'm just less bright than I thought *I* was. It's possible.

beeswing,

You can download the manual as a PDF file and search it. I couldn't find
where it mentions a red-camera icon, though. Does the icon indicate too
slow and exposure for hand-holding, perhaps? Where in the viewfinder does
it appear?

David

Old August 23rd 05, 02:53 PM
beeswing

David J Taylor wrote:
beeswing wrote:
[...]

I found it, with your help...thanks! Thanks for the PDF idea, too,
although it wouldn't have helped with this particular question...what
the manual needs is a legend chart for the icons. The red camera icon
appears in the top right of the viewfinder, and with your hint of what
it might be, I found the explanation: it's the "jitter alert," and it
means exactly what you said. Thanks!

beeswing

Old August 23rd 05, 03:22 PM
Daniel Silevitch

On 23 Aug 2005 06:53:44 -0700, beeswing wrote:
I found it, with your help...thanks! Thanks for the PDF idea, too,
although it wouldn't have helped with this particular question...what
the manual needs is a legend chart for the icons. The red camera icon
appears in the top right of the viewfinder, and with your hint of what
it might be, I found the explanation: it's the "jitter alert," and it
means exactly what you said. Thanks!

Have you turned on the image stablizer (there's a dedicated button on
the top of the camera)? That works wonders for reducing camera shake
problems. Set it to Mode 2 and leave it on.

-dms
Old August 23rd 05, 06:01 PM

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Have you turned on the image stablizer (there's a dedicated button on
the top of the camera)? That works wonders for reducing camera shake
problems. Set it to Mode 2 and leave it on.

-dms

I hadn't found the image stabilizer button yet...and wasn't sure what I
was supposed to do with it when I did find it. Thanks for the tip!

beeswing,
total zlr newbie