Android app to remove all location data in bulk

Old June 27th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Android app to remove all location data in bulk

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I too like to think I am not stupid but if I can't find an app and Google
Play's search is inadequate then why not ask those here who may have
already come across such an app?

It makes no sense to search on Play, but I'm sure you know that. It's
awkward, and Google is more effective.

My smartphone screen makes pages found by Google searches too small to scan
easily. Surely you have used a smartphone before and would know to search
for an app in the Play Store?

WTF? Use your PC for Google, find an app, and then go to the Play
store on your phone.

actually, you don't need to do that.

click the install button in the browser and the app will be pushed to
the phone, usually in less than a minute.
Old June 27th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 21:22:55 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I too like to think I am not stupid but if I can't find an app and Google
Play's search is inadequate then why not ask those here who may have
already come across such an app?

It makes no sense to search on Play, but I'm sure you know that. It's
awkward, and Google is more effective.

My smartphone screen makes pages found by Google searches too small to scan
easily. Surely you have used a smartphone before and would know to search
for an app in the Play Store?

WTF? Use your PC for Google, find an app, and then go to the Play
store on your phone.

actually, you don't need to do that.

click the install button in the browser and the app will be pushed to
the phone, usually in less than a minute.

Figures. One more thing I didn't know.
Old June 28th 18, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim-P

wrote:

I too like to think I am not stupid but if I can't find an app and Google
Play's search is inadequate then why not ask those here who may have
already come across such an app?

It makes no sense to search on Play, but I'm sure you know that. It's
awkward, and Google is more effective.

My smartphone screen makes pages found by Google searches too small to scan
easily. Surely you have used a smartphone before and would know to search
for an app in the Play Store?

WTF? Use your PC for Google, find an app, and then go to the Play
store on your phone.

actually, you don't need to do that.

click the install button in the browser and the app will be pushed to
the phone, usually in less than a minute.

Does that require you to be logged into Chrome with your Google account on
both devices?

I don't use my Google Android account on my pc because Google tracking is
too intrusive for my liking.
Old June 28th 18, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim-P

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 21:22:54 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , Jim-P
wrote:

others found apps within seconds.

Turns out they weren't suitable as I explained.

turns out you moved the goalposts, making the suggestions unsuitable.

I have to admit I didn't fully explain I wanted "folder at a time" by
pointing to the folder.

what's worse is that you now admit that your searches were done using
google play and not with a more capable search engine, namely google
itself (or bing, for that matter).

Google Play is the standard to search for apps on Android. You know that
but are nit-picking once more.

nope. it's not the standard at all.

it's *one* way to search, not the only way, and one which is inflexible
and produces sub-standard results.

You are right Google Play is one app store and there are others. However I
said Google Play is the standard.

I prefer not to use other apps stores and I prefer not to download from
author sites using the brower on Android becase it requires me to disable
security checking to accept "unkown sources" and I choose not to do that.

not only that, but you *also* admit to having defective hardware and
show zero interest in fixing it.

Comprehension is not your strong point. I did not mention hardware when I
wrote "USB file transfer doesn't to work properly between my smartphone and
pc".

you mentioned transferring over usb.
usb is hardware.
or are you now going to claim usb ports and usb cables are software?

Almost every external device which connects to a PC via it's USB port needs
a software driver.

The problem is to do with drivers. Let me guess, you know how to fix
it but aren't going to tell me.

no, the problem is definitely not drivers.

The smartphone driver looks like it's too new for my pc's OS.
Old June 28th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jim-P
wrote:

WTF? Use your PC for Google, find an app, and then go to the Play
store on your phone.

actually, you don't need to do that.

click the install button in the browser and the app will be pushed to
the phone, usually in less than a minute.

Does that require you to be logged into Chrome with your Google account on
both devices?

you have to log into your google account in the browser (any browser,
not just chrome), otherwise it would have no way to know whose android
device to send it to.

I don't use my Google Android account on my pc because Google tracking is
too intrusive for my liking.

then android is not the device for you, along with all other google
properties. google makes its money by tracking you.

however, you can always log in, click install, log out and clear
cookies. maybe even use a separate browser *just* for that purpose.
Old June 28th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jim-P
wrote:

others found apps within seconds.

Turns out they weren't suitable as I explained.

turns out you moved the goalposts, making the suggestions unsuitable.

I have to admit I didn't fully explain I wanted "folder at a time" by
pointing to the folder.

ok, but you're also thinking that android works like windows. it
doesn't.

manually putting photos in separate folders is not an efficient
workflow.

the computer can manage photos for you and do a much better job, along
with music and other assets.

what's worse is that you now admit that your searches were done using
google play and not with a more capable search engine, namely google
itself (or bing, for that matter).

Google Play is the standard to search for apps on Android. You know that
but are nit-picking once more.

nope. it's not the standard at all.

it's *one* way to search, not the only way, and one which is inflexible
and produces sub-standard results.

You are right Google Play is one app store and there are others. However I
said Google Play is the standard.

I prefer not to use other apps stores and I prefer not to download from
author sites using the brower on Android becase it requires me to disable
security checking to accept "unkown sources" and I choose not to do that.

i never suggested using other app stores.

not only that, but you *also* admit to having defective hardware and
show zero interest in fixing it.

Comprehension is not your strong point. I did not mention hardware when I
wrote "USB file transfer doesn't to work properly between my smartphone and
pc".

you mentioned transferring over usb.
usb is hardware.
or are you now going to claim usb ports and usb cables are software?

Almost every external device which connects to a PC via it's USB port needs
a software driver.

absolutely false.

mice/keyboards are human interface devices (hid), no drivers needed.
hard drives & flash drives are mass storage devices, no drivers needed.
web cameras are video class devices, no drivers needed.
still/video cameras use mtp or ptp to transfer photos, no drivers
needed.

drivers are only needed for non-standard devices.

The problem is to do with drivers. Let me guess, you know how to fix
it but aren't going to tell me.

no, the problem is definitely not drivers.

The smartphone driver looks like it's too new for my pc's OS.

what os are you using?

it's not win xp, is it?
Old June 28th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim-P

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 11:07:03 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , Jim-P
wrote:

others found apps within seconds.

Turns out they weren't suitable as I explained.

turns out you moved the goalposts, making the suggestions unsuitable.

I have to admit I didn't fully explain I wanted "folder at a time" by
pointing to the folder.

ok, but you're also thinking that android works like windows. it
doesn't.

I see Android's file heirarchy as broadly similar to Windows (ignoring the
drive or folder remapping which Android does). Selecting a folder is not a
big deal and Android file managers seem to manage it easily enough.

manually putting photos in separate folders is not an efficient
workflow.

The picture get placed in their folder by the camera app. I move out those
I want to keep separate into other folders.

the computer can manage photos for you and do a much better job, along
with music and other assets.

Yes, I agree. I have terabytes of storage for media containing all the
photos I want to keep. I'm a bit stuck right now because the USB transfer
is not complying and I don't like cloud storage, so I transfer picture
files in batches on an SD card. It's a poor arrangement but I don't have
many pictures yet as I am new to the smartphone.

what's worse is that you now admit that your searches were done using
google play and not with a more capable search engine, namely google
itself (or bing, for that matter).

Google Play is the standard to search for apps on Android. You know that
but are nit-picking once more.

nope. it's not the standard at all.

it's *one* way to search, not the only way, and one which is inflexible
and produces sub-standard results.

You are right Google Play is one app store and there are others. However I
said Google Play is the standard.

I prefer not to use other apps stores and I prefer not to download from
author sites using the brower on Android becase it requires me to disable
security checking to accept "unkown sources" and I choose not to do that.

i never suggested using other app stores.

You said above Google Play Store is "not the standard at all". I would
differ.

[...]

You can see the software driver version number for all those devices in
Windows Device Manager. Go into each one separately. That includes the
HIDs, storage devices and MTP/PTP.

For example, here is an MTP driver.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOB...ndows-81.shtml

https://tinyurl.com/ybdc688p

Many drivers come with the operating system, some helpful devices will
contain the driver the pc requires and yet others require drivers to be
provided from elsewhere such as web sites, CDs, or whatever.

Once a driver is enabled for a USB port it does not need reinstalling, so
some of those storage devices can use each other's driver and not request a
new driver. That may gve you a sense that a driver isn't being used.

Old June 28th 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jim-P
wrote:

others found apps within seconds.

Turns out they weren't suitable as I explained.

turns out you moved the goalposts, making the suggestions unsuitable.

I have to admit I didn't fully explain I wanted "folder at a time" by
pointing to the folder.

ok, but you're also thinking that android works like windows. it
doesn't.

I see Android's file heirarchy as broadly similar to Windows (ignoring the
drive or folder remapping which Android does). Selecting a folder is not a
big deal and Android file managers seem to manage it easily enough.

ignore the internal file hierarchy.

direct file system access is a relic of the past. it's not needed
anymore.

manually putting photos in separate folders is not an efficient
workflow.

The picture get placed in their folder by the camera app. I move out those
I want to keep separate into other folders.

no need for that.

the computer can manage photos for you and do a much better job, along
with music and other assets.

Yes, I agree. I have terabytes of storage for media containing all the
photos I want to keep. I'm a bit stuck right now because the USB transfer
is not complying and I don't like cloud storage, so I transfer picture
files in batches on an SD card. It's a poor arrangement but I don't have
many pictures yet as I am new to the smartphone.

you need to fix the usb issue.

you can also set up your own private cloud, especially with multiple
terabytes of storage, and enjoy almost all of the benefits of the cloud
without any of the privacy implications.

[...]

no, i said it's not the standard way to *search* for apps.

the play store is the standard place to download apps but it's *not*
the standard way nor the best way to *search* for them.

search via google, bing or other, then evaluate the results. read
reviews, watch demo videos, look at screen shots, etc.

once you decide which apps are good candidates, *then* download them
via the play store and see how well they work.

you mentioned transferring over usb.
usb is hardware.
or are you now going to claim usb ports and usb cables are software?

Almost every external device which connects to a PC via it's USB port needs
a software driver.

absolutely false.

mice/keyboards are human interface devices (hid), no drivers needed.
hard drives & flash drives are mass storage devices, no drivers needed.
web cameras are video class devices, no drivers needed.
still/video cameras use mtp or ptp to transfer photos, no drivers
needed.

drivers are only needed for non-standard devices.

You can see the software driver version number for all those devices in
Windows Device Manager. Go into each one separately. That includes the
HIDs, storage devices and MTP/PTP.

all hardware needs a driver of some sort (and windows overcomplicates
things), but almost all of them are built into the os.

with rare exception, the user does not need to install anything to use
hardware. they just connect the device/card/etc. and start using it.

examples:
plug in a usb hid keyboard (i.e., all of them) and it 'just works'.
connect any hard drive and it 'just works'.
plug in a uvc camera (nearly all of them) and it 'just works'.

if the device is non-standard, it might require a custom driver not
already provided by the operating system, in which case, it would need
to be downloaded and installed.

in some cases, that's done entirely automatically simply by connecting
the device, so to the user, the device still 'just works', but with a
brief one-time delay while the install happens in the background. the
user does not need to manually do anything beyond connecting it.

The smartphone driver looks like it's too new for my pc's OS.

what os are you using?
it's not win xp, is it?

no answer?

i'll take that as a yes, and that you're too embarrassed to admit you
still use xp.

it's time to upgrade.