Epson film scanners

Old April 3rd 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Epson film scanners

Is the 4490 any good, or just a flat-bed with a film holder?

I've also been pointed at the Epson V700, if that's any better.

I want to be able to scan (mostly) mono negs of up to 6*9, with some
slides and colour negs of various formats. Nothing bigger than MF.
--
Paul Friday
Old April 4th 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

I have the 4490 which I use only for proofing. It is excellent value
for money, the colour accuracy out of the box is very impressive and
I've had no problems with the slightly lower dmax, every time it got
everything off the slide/neg (velvia may be a different story though).
I've been using it with silvberfast but the negafix orange mask removal
is a piece of junk so I don't know how well it does with colour neg
only b&w.

Build quality is plastic fantastic and the film holders are truly
horrible. Sharpness is fair but very affected by film flatness (as with
all scanners) so do yourself a favour and factor in Douig Fisher's mf
film holder and glass insert
(http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfishe...mainintro.html) which is
excellent.

For prints I don't think I'll never use it (esp 35mm), I'm sure you
could get a decent print from 6x7 as long as it was 8x10 though. For
prints I send my stuff out of be scanned on a nikon coolscan 9000
(£4.50 a frame) after checking it out first with the epson. Why shoot
mf and then use a cheapo scanner?

I got the 4490 because it was £160, the V700 etc. are all double that
I think.
--
Mark