M/F film scanners - again?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 26th 04, 06:36 PM
Rod

Default M/F film scanners - again?

2 Questions here, I tried the scanner groups and got no answer - since
it's primarily M?F I'm looking at I wonder if you guys have any
answers?
I have taken on board the understanding that the A/D specification is
an indicator of the *potential* Dmax of a scanner given the CCD is
good enough to supply sufficient data to the ADC. No makers ever seem
to give an actual measured Dmax, they just give 12/14/16bit x 3 as an
indicator of potential dynamic range. Apart from trying several
scanners for myself and also taking price as a sort of indicator of
CCD quality, how do I know which scanners are going to make the best
of my slides? An obvious problem is going to be my habit of trying to
take pics when the brightness range is way too great to get good
highlight and shadow detail on the film, let alone on on a scan.I'm
trying to kick this habit but in the meantime I have some very
difficult but potentially rewarding slides to scan.

I see some good close out deals on the Minolta scan multi II. How
much difference would I see in A3 prints for the 12 bit A/D compared
with the 16 bit A/D of the Scan multi pro or the 14 bit of the
Microtek Artixscan 120TF? Resolution isn't an issue as I'm scanning
medium format for A3 prints. Looking for scans at least comparable
with those I'm getting from 35mm on the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED.

Thanks

Rod

Weed my email address to reply