Photographing Inscriptions: Nikon Coolpix 8800 or Canon Dig Rebel XT?

Old June 29th 05, 10:01 PM
dmango1

Default Photographing Inscriptions: Nikon Coolpix 8800 or Canon Dig Rebel XT?

I'm leaving for Europe in a few weeks. While there, I hope to
photograph and cataloque any ancient inscriptions (ie GreeK, Latin,
Etc) that I may find. Most of these inscriptions are outdoors, the
majority of them carved in stone.

My primary goal is to preserve these inscriptions by photographing
them, with the intention of publishing them in a book with an
accompaning illustration. I'm not interested in national geographic
results, just a sharp, high quality image of the inscription.

I have decided between either the Nikon Coolpix 8800 or the Canon
Digital Rebel XT. The Rebel may be a better camera, but with the extra
lenses required to match that of the 35-350mm lens of the Nikon, I am
not certain if I can justify the extra cost for
the lenses.

The only necessary item that I have been informed to bring by
my friends in Europe, is a zoom lens. I may also use photoshop
to enhance the images if necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as any tips/suggestions
for photographing inscriptions in general
(ie time of day, flashes, etc)

Thank you

Old June 29th 05, 11:43 PM
SB

I would go for a Nikon 8800 in your case.

It is a fantastic camera if you are shooting outdoors and your subjects do
not move - which is exactly your case.
The 35-350mm lens is a piece of art, and will bring the inscriptions which
are all the way up there, right under the roof,
so close to you that you'll cry. The "in-built" image post-processing in
point-and-shot (which in fact is the 8800) will give
you sharp and crisp images. And you wil have the whole thing +(NB!) a spare
batery and mre memory in a relatively small bag!

I had an 8700, moved up to 8800, then to EVOLT - ust because I need a faster
camera. Otherwise, Nikon Coolpix 8800 is
a great camera.

Cheers,
SB

ups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 12:58 AM
Stacey

dmango1 wrote:

I'm leaving for Europe in a few weeks. While there, I hope to
photograph and cataloque any ancient inscriptions (ie GreeK, Latin,
Etc) that I may find. Most of these inscriptions are outdoors, the
majority of them carved in stone.

Off camera flash will be your friend. If either won''t work with an off
camera flash, that would be a deal killer for me.

--

Stacey
Old June 30th 05, 01:53 AM
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:58:03 -0400, Stacey wrote:

dmango1 wrote:

I'm leaving for Europe in a few weeks. While there, I hope to
photograph and cataloque any ancient inscriptions (ie GreeK, Latin,
Etc) that I may find. Most of these inscriptions are outdoors, the
majority of them carved in stone.

Off camera flash will be your friend. If either won''t work with an off
camera flash, that would be a deal killer for me.

I agree with Stacey, The lighting is much more important than the
camera for this type of photography, and flash off-camera is a good
way to get better lighting.
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old June 30th 05, 06:17 AM
Misifus

If I were to tackle that project, I would use a Nikon D-70, the
kit lens (18-70mm) and an SB-600 flash. For photographing
inscriptions you wouldn't normally need a long telephoto, the kit
lens should work. Either the SB-600 or the SB-800 will work as a
wireless flash with the D70, enabling you to get the oblique
lighting you will need to bring out inscriptions.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

http://www.ralphandsue.com
Old July 1st 05, 11:52 PM
dmango1

Misifus wrote:
If I were to tackle that project, I would use a Nikon D-70, the
kit lens (18-70mm) and an SB-600 flash. For photographing
inscriptions you wouldn't normally need a long telephoto, the kit
lens should work. Either the SB-600 or the SB-800 will work as a
wireless flash with the D70, enabling you to get the oblique
lighting you will need to bring out inscriptions.

-Raf

I have a Sony 10/20W video light. Could this be used in place of
an off camera flash? Are there any advantages to flash lighting
over constant/video lighting? Thanks.

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

http://www.ralphandsue.com

Old July 2nd 05, 12:52 AM
John McWilliams

dmango1 wrote:
I'm leaving for Europe in a few weeks. While there, I hope to
photograph and cataloque any ancient inscriptions (ie GreeK, Latin,
Etc) that I may find. Most of these inscriptions are outdoors, the
majority of them carved in stone.

My primary goal is to preserve these inscriptions by photographing
them, with the intention of publishing them in a book with an
accompaning illustration. I'm not interested in national geographic
results, just a sharp, high quality image of the inscription.

I'd go for the Rebel XT with the kit lens and the 1.4 50mm lens for
natural light and sharpness combined with speed, should you be shooting
in shade or indoors.

Good luck with your project.

--

John McWilliams
Old July 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
dmango1 wrote:

Misifus wrote:
If I were to tackle that project, I would use a Nikon D-70, the
kit lens (18-70mm) and an SB-600 flash. For photographing
inscriptions you wouldn't normally need a long telephoto, the kit
lens should work. Either the SB-600 or the SB-800 will work as a
wireless flash with the D70, enabling you to get the oblique
lighting you will need to bring out inscriptions.

-Raf

I have a Sony 10/20W video light. Could this be used in place of
an off camera flash? Are there any advantages to flash lighting
over constant/video lighting? Thanks.

For your subject matter, I would suggest that the only nuisance
might be that the batteries for the video light source would weigh more.

For live things, like small insects, the extra heat might be a
problem.

A *benefit* of the video light is that you can more easily judge
(by naked eye) the effects of light placement without spending a lot of
time zooming in your display and examining the results.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564