Should all smokers be taken out and shot?

Old August 8th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ray

Default Should all smokers be taken out and shot?

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:56:34 -0700, RichA wrote:

I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns out,
the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The whole
lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front element
surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed. It took
an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back of the lens
were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body. I'm glad I didn't
have to see the camera. But I've seen this before on optics. How can
anyone do this to a camera?

IMHO - the ones who should be "taken out and shot" are those who ask:
"should all fill in the blank be taken out and shot". What a person
does with his own personal property and/or his own body is his business -
not yours.
Old August 8th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

ray wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't it be easier just to take RichA out and shoot him? Just one
bullet needed, but to be on the safe side perhaps a wooden stake would
be better.
Allen
Old August 9th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 8/8/10 5:45 PM, in article
, "RichA"
wrote:

On Aug 8, 4:55*pm, ray wrote:
[...]

It is if I'm buy it and am not warned beforehand. How do you think it
would sell on Ebay:
"One prime lens in good condition, except it's covered with YEARS of
tobacco smoke residue."

Who you foolin' Bitch?!? You don't *buy* anything!!!

Old August 9th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald[_5_]

If you DO shoot smokers, be sure to use a Canon camera
with one of the big long white lenses that cost $7000
so you don't get lung cancer and the lens does not get fogged.

Doug
Old August 9th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ray

Caveat Emptor.
Old August 9th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:38:16 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Aug 8, 11:07*pm, ray wrote:
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:45:52 -0700, RichA wrote:

Caveat Emptor.

You can't if you aren't told.

The whole concept of "caveat emptor" is that you should not expect to
be told. That's why you should beware.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 9th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

tony cooper wrote in
:

wrote:

On Aug 8, 11:07*pm, ray wrote:
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:45:52 -0700, RichA wrote:

Caveat Emptor.

You can't if you aren't told.

The whole concept of "caveat emptor" is that you should not expect to
be told. That's why you should beware.

In other words, never buy anything sight unseen or only from sources you
know won't burn you. But since you can't buy anything sight unseen in the
beginning how can you ever trust anyone to be able to buy? For me, no
problem in most cases as I live near stores that carry a lot of
photographic equipment. But for someone who is looking for something not
readily available locally, they need the seller to be upfront about the
condition of a product.

Old August 10th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:59:12 -0500, Rich wrote:

tony cooper wrote in
:

wrote:

On Aug 8, 11:07*pm, ray wrote:
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:45:52 -0700, RichA wrote:

Caveat Emptor.

You can't if you aren't told.

The whole concept of "caveat emptor" is that you should not expect to
be told. That's why you should beware.

In other words, never buy anything sight unseen or only from sources you
know won't burn you. But since you can't buy anything sight unseen in the
beginning how can you ever trust anyone to be able to buy? For me, no
problem in most cases as I live near stores that carry a lot of
photographic equipment. But for someone who is looking for something not
readily available locally, they need the seller to be upfront about the
condition of a product.

Now that's funny. Back in my SLR days I had just purchased my new OM2n.
About 2 months later I was going to go on a photo trek (quick last-minute
decision) and wanted a nice compact zoom with macro for the type of field
work I do in remote regions. I looked at a Sigma 39-80mm f/3.5 he had in
the display cabinet. Just about fitting my needs I decided to buy one. (I
have it in my hand now to get the specs off of it.) He got nice new
factory-sealed box from the store-room. I jumped back in the 4W camper and
headed for the roads. Later when I got out into the field I found that one
of the internal lens elements deep within the optical path had a nasty haze
of oil-spray on it, robbing everything of contrast and clarity, even in the
viewfinder. Luckily for me I have no qualms about opening up a lens and
cleaning it in the field, even to that degree of disassembly. After
cleaning it performed very well, so I kept it.

So going on this experience, I should *NEVER* buy from any reputable camera
dealer as well. Especially factory-sealed equipment.

LOL!

Old August 10th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:21:49 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:59:12 -0500, Rich wrote:

tony cooper wrote in
m:

wrote:

On Aug 8, 11:07*pm, ray wrote:
[...]

Holy crap. I just looked though my old OM2n through that lens just now
(it's been years since I even held it). I couldn't figure out what was
wrong. I couldn't see a damn thing indoors with it. I thought maybe the
mirror had locked-up in the up position or something. And this, in a camera
that had one of the brightest optical viewfinders ever made. Then I let my
eyes adjust to the darkness in the OVF and could finally see the dim image
to focus on, but only on the bright edges around some distant window
frames. What a shock from the bright EVFs I've been using for the last 8
years. How you people put up with that nonsense on DSLRs today is beyond
me.