B&W film for high contrast

Old April 8th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

Default B&W film for high contrast

Since Kodak has quit making Tech Pan does anybody know of a good easy
to get B&W film for high contrast work?

I'm looking for a film which can be used to record blacks and white
while eleminating the mid tones.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old April 18th 06, 05:00 PM
MASL MASL is offline
Member

I've always gotten contrasty results by pushing any film a couple of stops. Test that with tmax 100 and see if you like the results.
Old April 19th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:00:10 +0000, MASL
wrote:

I've always gotten contrasty results by pushing any film a couple of
stops. Test that with tmax 100 and see if you like the results.

I've tried doing that but the results are not what I am looking for.
Still too much mid tones left.
Tmax is about the poorest quality film I have ever tried. Any
manipulation turns tone muddy gray.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old April 23rd 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

In article , Colyn Me wrote:

Since Kodak has quit making Tech Pan does anybody know of a good easy
to get B&W film for high contrast work?

Did they stop making it or just stop making it in 35mm?

Old April 23rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:08:26 -0000, () wrote:

In article , Colyn Me wrote:

Since Kodak has quit making Tech Pan does anybody know of a good easy
to get B&W film for high contrast work?

Did they stop making it or just stop making it in 35mm?

As far as I know Tech Pan is no more.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old April 23rd 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

In article , Colyn Me wrote:

As far as I know Tech Pan is no more.

Calumet still lists it in sheets.

Old April 24th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

In article , Colyn Me wrote:

Tech Pan has long been a favorite of mine and I will miss it.

I've always found Tri-X to be good. Though I've never tried a thick
emulsion film like Super-XX.

Old May 1st 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

In article , ()

Greg \"_\" wrote:

How thick would you like it to be?

You could have just said you didn't know what I was
talking about.

I knew- I was being purposely difficult
--
The sometimes insomniac.