Affinity Photo for iPad

Old September 23rd 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

I bought a new toy last week, a 10.5? iPad Pro, with 512 GB, the keyboard,
and Apple Pencil. My purpose was to update my old iPad2, and to see how well
it would fit in as a replacement for a laptop for my photo travels.

I already had the Adobe Mobile Apps, Lightroom Mobile, Photoshop Fix, and
Photoshop Mix installed, and I had read good things regarding Affinity Photo
for iPad. So, I stepped and bought it. The end result is, I am very
impressed, it is so much more than the desktop edition, which I find to have
an awkward workflow. It is built to integrate with the iCloud file, or any
other app. For example I can save an edited image to my iCloud Drive, and/or
Dropbox, and/or Lightroom Mobile, all of which can make the file accessible
across all my devices, and sync with desktop/laptop LR.

I can transfer image files RAW, and/or JPEG, to my iPad from my X-E2, or
X-T2
via WiFi.

So for any of you folks with an iPad I can highly recommend Affinity Photo
for iPad. Quite frankly I believe that it is currently one of the best photo
editing apps available for the iPad along with the Adobe Mobile set, and
Pixelmator.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ipad/

Just curious - why not a tablet with a 12" screen - or is that too big?
Would make it easier to edit high res images.

While there is a 12” iPad Pro available, the 10” is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

It makes a lot of sense. It is actually a natural interface, and the Apple
Pencil takes controlability to a level tough to obtain on a desktop/laptop
environment, even with a Wacom Tablet.

Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as
possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

I bought my new iPad with the 512GB option, more than enough to handle
100-150 GB of image files.

The manner with which the current generation of iPad /iOS 11
hardware/software integrates with the various cloud services is seamless, and
very feasable.

The battery gives me 10 hours of portability which slips easily into a camera
bag, and provides me with all the function I need on the road, and then some,
all with less weight and bulk than even a notebook PC.

By the way, I gave a try a while ago to the desktop version of Affinity
and wasn't impressed.

As for the desltop version of Affinity Photo, it is very good, but for
somebody who has the habit of a Lightroom/Photoshop workflow, it is for me a
little awkward. Affinity Photo for iPad is a very different animal to work
with, and is in many ways the best tablet editor I have yet encountered, and
in many ways better than many desktop editors. As I said, I have all the free
Adobe Mobile apps installed, along with Pixelmator, VSCO, and Snapseed,
currently my choice for on-the-road image editing is Affinity Photo for iPad.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, Alan Browne wrote
(in ):

On 2017-09-23 04:51, Alfred Molon wrote:
In iganews.com,
[...]

The difference between the 12 and 10.5" is not enough to matter when
portability on a long trip is factored in.

I had considered the 12”, but after working with one in the Apple store,
the portability factor kicked in, and I loose nothing but bulk and weight
with the 10.5”.

And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

Image editing on a tablet? Very natural interface.

Very much so.

Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as

The ARM/GPU in the iPad's are very fast. Indeed it's a near
certainty that ARM will begin to replace intel in the Apple Mac line in
the coming years.

The A10X is amazingly fast.

possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

Hmm. 512 GB is quite a lot then. No issue. No cloud needed.

512 GB is as much as many laptops are provided with, and just incase I need a
little bit of extra storage I have a 128 GB Sandisk iXpand Flash drive, and
there is a 256 GB edition available.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand

I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.

In the 10 days I have been giving it a work out, I can say Affinity Photo for
iPad lacks for nothing.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip.

Hmm. 512 GB is quite a lot then. No issue. No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

So far the iPad Pro is not choking on my 24.3 MP image files, and Affinity
Photo handles my RAFs, NEFs, and SOOC JPEGs well.

I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.

I recently asked Topaz if they had any tutorials that might solve an
issue I was having with hair extraction using Re Mask, after they
updated it. First they suggested Clarity, to increase contrast. When I
pointed out that I had clarity and it did not work, they never answered
my support question. I plan to bring that issue up at Photo Expo in NY,
and continue looking on their forum. Meanwhile, Adobe is the best
around, if only because of their available support.

I am not a fan of Topaz, or Clarity.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

So far the iPad Pro is not choking on my 24.3 MP image files, and Affinity
Photo handles my RAFs, NEFs, and SOOC JPEGs well.

no reason why it would choke at all. it's *very* capable.
Old September 23rd 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 23, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

So far the iPad Pro is not choking on my 24.3 MP image files, and Affinity
Photo handles my RAFs, NEFs, and SOOC JPEGs well.

no reason why it would choke at all. it's *very* capable.

I know.
Why, when I have it sitting in front of me after 10 days of exercising it,
should I think otherwise?

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Davoud says...
? You don't have to upload the image files to a cloud; the software
does it for you as you take the photos.

The problem is the connectivity. Often connections are slow and if you
have a 5GB package, you can't upload 100GB.

But again, in many interesting countries the Internet connections (both
mobile and fixed) are just too slow. Try doing a cloud upload in Papua
for instance.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 23rd 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

So far the iPad Pro is not choking on my 24.3 MP image files, and Affinity
Photo handles my RAFs, NEFs, and SOOC JPEGs well.

no reason why it would choke at all. it's *very* capable.

I know.
Why, when I have it sitting in front of me after 10 days of exercising it,
should I think otherwise?

you obviously know what it can do.

many others do not, and consider the ipad to be somehow inferior and
incapable.
Old September 23rd 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Alfred Molon
wrote:

? You don't have to upload the image files to a cloud; the software
does it for you as you take the photos.

The problem is the connectivity. Often connections are slow and if you
have a 5GB package, you can't upload 100GB.

often connections are quite fast, but if not, use wifi.

or just keep everything local. with 512 gig of space, 100 gig won't
make much of a dent.

But again, in many interesting countries the Internet connections (both
mobile and fixed) are just too slow. Try doing a cloud upload in Papua
for instance.

how often are you in a location where there's no wifi or cellular,
where you've completely filled all of the 512 gig of the device, and
where you don't have any other local storage options, forcing you to
upload content to free up space?

likely never.
Old September 23rd 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

snip

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

By the way, RAM also matters. 10 or more GB are very helpful in my case,
but I don't think there are tablets with that much RAM, are there?

snip

The battery gives me 10 hours of portability which slips easily into a camera
bag, and provides me with all the function I need on the road, and then some,
all with less weight and bulk than even a notebook PC.

But there is no need to lug around the tablet the whole day, while you
are taking pictures, right? Just leave it in the hotel, or why would you
want to carry it around?

Instead of the tablet you can bring along another lens, a flash or piece
of photo equipment, which improves your photo capture capability in the
field.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 23rd 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.

Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

the bigger the display, the less portable it is.

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance.

nope. an ipad pro is faster than most laptops.

When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

nope.

ipads get over 10 hours on battery when pushed hard and longer if the
cpu is running on the efficiency cores (e.g., browsing images).

that's *better* battery life than most laptops, even when the laptop is
doing mundane tasks (i.e., minimal battery drain).

it's also *extremely* likely that any photo editing would be done
while plugged in and *not* on a battery, regardless of tablet or
laptop, so it doesn't make one bit of difference what the battery life
is.

By the way, RAM also matters. 10 or more GB are very helpful in my case,
but I don't think there are tablets with that much RAM, are there?

ram doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think it does,
particularly for ipads (and iphones for that matter).

in real world use scenarios, ipads do exceptionally well, and in some
cases, faster than desktop systems.

The battery gives me 10 hours of portability which slips easily into a
camera
bag, and provides me with all the function I need on the road, and then
some,
all with less weight and bulk than even a notebook PC.

But there is no need to lug around the tablet the whole day, while you
are taking pictures, right? Just leave it in the hotel, or why would you
want to carry it around?

lug???

an ipad weighs 1 pound and fits in a jacket pocket. an ipad mini weighs
less and can fit in all but the smallest pockets.

why *wouldn't* you want to carry it around?

Instead of the tablet you can bring along another lens, a flash or piece
of photo equipment, which improves your photo capture capability in the
field.

a lens is bulkier and likely heavier than an ipad, and serves an
entirely different purpose.

bring both.