How to upload images from the road?

Old October 10th 03, 12:10 PM
PWW

Default How to upload images from the road?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to upload over 6 MB of stuff to the
internet, while on the road?

The problem, I had a shoot for a client and it was a rush job but the shoot
was many driving miles away. I had to drive back to to my house to be able
to upload the images to my website for their review. If I could have had
someway to upload from my mini-RV, while travelling, I could have uploaded
and then took my time and shot many more varied images on the way back.

I do use a cell phone as a modem for my laptop but it is soooooo slooooow
that it is only good for email.

I did think about a place, maybe like Kinkos that might be able to let me
connect my laptop via ethernet to the internet, but Kinkos are not really
universal and not in many cities.

Any Ideas

--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

Old October 10th 03, 09:38 PM
Wayne P

How to upload images from the road?Find a Internet Cafe, I am seeing the mpop up in the darndest places. . . . . Starbucks are starting to have wireless installed.

Some hotels have free wireless for their guests. I find when I travel that a lot of hotels dont encrypt etc. You can get on without doing anything special. Drive around with your laptop, maybe you can find a hotel with "open" wireless.

wayne

Old October 11th 03, 04:00 AM
ChrisPlatt

Another example of why traditional film is so superior...

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-
Old October 11th 03, 04:38 AM
PWW

I hope this is a sarcastic comment and you are trying to making a joke or
something! Because if it isn't it does not make any sense.
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,
http://PhotoStockFile.com

On 10/10/03 11:00 PM, in article
, "ChrisPlatt"

Old October 12th 03, 12:42 AM
PWW

You seemed to miss the point! I needed to get the photographs in front of
the client the very next morning from when I shot the photographs, some that
I shot just hours before they wanted to see them. The client wanted to see
them by WebPage so they could show them to their client. I had to drive back
home (hundreds of miles away) to be able to upload the webpages that night
for their review the next morning.

This would be impossible using your "foolproof" method. Plus with digital I
could check my photographs to be sure I got the shot at each location before
I drove on to the next location. You can't do that with film.

I love Digital! I actually shot some slide film along with Digital just a
couple of days ago and boy did I hate all the old problems of shooting film.
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,
http://PhotoStockFile.com

On 10/11/03 6:11 PM, in article
, "ChrisPlatt"
wrote:

When I am shooting on the road, I place my roll of exposed film
in a prepaid mailer, then drop it in any mailbox,
and they return my mounted slides to any address I choose.

What could be easier and more foolproof? Works every time.

Makes perfect sense to me...

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-

Old October 12th 03, 02:43 AM
ChrisPlatt

Maybe you can get a satellite dish for your digicam.
That would look really cool, even if it doesn't work too well.

Oh, I'm sorry; that won't work with your camera.
Better buy next year's model. And the one after that...

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-

Old October 12th 03, 05:20 PM
RSD99

Actually ... a satellite dish on top of an RV would probably work quite well ...
Bi-directional actually *is* available!

Old October 13th 03, 09:13 PM
Dave Herzstein

PWW wrote:

You seemed to miss the point! I needed to get the photographs in front of
the client the very next morning from when I shot the photographs, some that
I shot just hours before they wanted to see them. The client wanted to see
them by WebPage so they could show them to their client. I had to drive back
home (hundreds of miles away) to be able to upload the webpages that night
for their review the next morning.

This would be impossible using your "foolproof" method. Plus with digital I
could check my photographs to be sure I got the shot at each location before
I drove on to the next location. You can't do that with film.

I love Digital! I actually shot some slide film along with Digital just a
couple of days ago and boy did I hate all the old problems of shooting film.

You may be able to hook up your laptop to your cellphone and use a
regular dial-up service to connect to the internet. I can with my
Verizon service and it only costs me regular "minutes" (which are free
for me on weekends). Its slow at only 14.4Kb, but that might be OK for
web-sized images.

-Dave
Old October 13th 03, 11:05 PM
Gordon Dietzman

How to upload images from the road?Last summer I took a six week trip to Alaska and e-mailed my journals back to family and friends in the lower 48 states whenever I had the chance. Usually I used public libraries, but many had policies against transferring files from a personal machine to theirs due to fear about viruses, worms, etc. Still, that might be one solution, depending upon where you are shooting. I'd just call ahead and see what their policy is.

Also, since you are traveling in a motorhome, many of the RV parks along the way to and from Alaska advertised internet hookups as one of their services. They required you use your national ISP's 800 number, however, so they didn't get socked with a long distance telephone call to a local ISP, but that makes sense. I don't know what sort of hookup they had--some probably just had dial-up connections, but others were way out in the woods and must have been using some form of satellite hookup. If your local ISP doesn't offer a national connection, I'd pick up a national ISP's trial package and...well...try it out. The RV parks also had time limits on how long you could be online; I'm sure that this was to prevent people from surfing the net on a recreational basis and tying up their lines. I'm sure that most RVers are probably just looking to send an e-mail, but a a friendly offer of a few extra bucks might lengthen any limits, especially if the campground owner knows that you are conducting business rather than just surfing.

I also used a couple of Kinko's on the trip, but as you might guess, they were sometimes difficult to find and I had to wait in line for an available machine both times--not very useful if one is in a hurry or has a deadline. Both Kinko's, however, allowed the transfer of files from a personal machine.

Hope this helps...

Gordon