What is an affordable, versatile scanner for negatives and prints?

Old June 6th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What is an affordable, versatile scanner for negatives and prints?

[Note Followup-to: redirect to rec.photo.digital only, which you can
ignore if you want.]

While I'm aware, from reading some earlier threads on scanners
in these groups, that this is a "semi-dumb" question, I haven't quite
found the answer I'm looking for.

I am looking for a scanner that can do 120 and 220 medium format film,
as well as 35, and can handle prints, too. I do not need "professional"
quality, but I would like at least good enough that the results aren't
offensive to the eye (as many low end scanners are).

Now, in most electronic gadgets, there seems to be a range of products.
There is the very best, which gets the best results possible, functions
at the highest level, and is insanely expensive. Then there is pure junk,
which gets crappy results, works poorly, and is cheap as dirt.

I'm looking for something that gets good results, may have some quirky
behaviors or other inconveniences, and is at the lower end of reasonably
priced (or has been around long enough that used items are pretty easy
to find). I'd basically like something that isn't going to lose a tremendous
amount of quality in the scan, produces results that can be turned into
something reasonably presentable in Photoshop or other software, and
isn't insanely difficult to use.

So, to put it another way, if you were not recommending a product for your
technically illiterate grandmother, but instead, were recommending a product
for your somewhat cheap brother-in-law, who had a medium format TLR camera
and a 35mm SLR camera, and wanted to do a couple dozen scans a month,
what would you recommend?

Old June 6th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

henri wrote:
[...]

Affordable is a loaded statement, that you have multiple formats of
films suggests that you may want something that other may not consider
"affordable". Your best bet is a flatbed from UMAX, Microtek or Epson
and a Nikon 9000 film scanner which would run in the low $2K area. If
that is too much then there is the Epson V700, a flatbed that does
films quite well (yes, the Nikon will be better) this would run $550 or
so. Next step down is Epson's previous flatbed/film scanner the 4990,
on sale for mid $300s, just look at www.resellerratings.com, or on
Epson's web site for surplus equipment. I wouldn't put money into
anything less than the Epson 4990.
I have the V700 and it is quite a good scanner, at comparable
resolutions it isn't quite as sharp as my 5year old Nikon LS2000, but
is very close and has better dynamic range. I have scanned some LF negs
and chromes, but haven't printed them.
Good luck.

Tom

Old June 6th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

henri wrote:

[...]

Hi...

I've had several, and have yet to be disappointed in any of the Epson
perfection scanners.

Take care.

Ken

Old June 6th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

So, to put it another way, if you were not recommending a product for your
technically illiterate grandmother, but instead, were recommending a
product
for your somewhat cheap brother-in-law, who had a medium format TLR camera
and a 35mm SLR camera, and wanted to do a couple dozen scans a month,
what would you recommend?

I use a Epson 4990 for 4x5 and a Nikon 9000 for my 120 film. I suggest the
4990 or the current version that Epson has out would fit your needs nicely.

Old June 7th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"henri" wrote in message
[...]

Something like the Canon 8400F flatbed. It will scan medium and large format
film as well as prints, with very good resolution and for less than $150.
See:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00... utThisProduct

There are others on the market that will also do a good job for you......

Old June 7th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

henri wrote:
[Note Followup-to: redirect to rec.photo.digital only, which you can
ignore if you want.]

While I'm aware, from reading some earlier threads on scanners
in these groups, that this is a "semi-dumb" question, I haven't quite
found the answer I'm looking for.

You give a good description of features, but you've left out a key aspect:

-What do you consider "affordable."
To some, a Ferrari is affordable... To others...a Volkswagen.

What's your price range?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 7th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

henri wrote:

o, to put it another way, if you were not recommending a product for
your technically illiterate grandmother, but instead, were
recommending a product for your somewhat cheap brother-in-law, who had
a medium format TLR camera and a 35mm SLR camera, and wanted to do a
couple dozen scans a month, what would you recommend?

Canon 8400F. Check the reviews.
Old June 8th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 06:27:31 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

henri wrote:

o, to put it another way, if you were not recommending a product for
your technically illiterate grandmother, but instead, were
recommending a product for your somewhat cheap brother-in-law, who had
a medium format TLR camera and a 35mm SLR camera, and wanted to do a
couple dozen scans a month, what would you recommend?

Canon 8400F. Check the reviews.

This one seems to have showed up a lot in people's references. It lists medium
format film as something you can scan with it. Is there any kind of film holder
for this, or more to the point, is it easy to do this reasonably well?