Making 35mm negatives from 16mm or 110 colour negatives

Old February 28th 05, 11:36 AM

Default Making 35mm negatives from 16mm or 110 colour negatives

Hi,

I need to enlarge some color (C41) 16mm negatives to 35mm format
negatives. I'm considering buying a copying attachment for my 35mm
format SLR so that I can photograph the 16mm negatives.

So, what will happen if I use such a copying attachment to photograph
16mm negatives onto a 35mm slide film (like FUJI ASTIA which seems
quite low contrast). This should give negative images on a 35mm
support, but will these negative images be printable?

Logically, an E6 slide film should give a copy of the negative
(complete with orange mask because that is what it 'sees') of the
original negatives. This solution should produce enlarged 35mm
negatives from the small originals. Will this work, or is there
something subtle which I haven't understood?

Regards, A

Old March 1st 05, 12:57 AM
RSD99

This is not quite as simple a procedure as the first look would suggest.
Achieving minimum contrast build-up and accurate color is not just a Ph.D.
(Push Here ... Dummy) situation.

A commercial lab would use a special duplicating film for this. I think the
proper film would be (or would have been) Kodak's Vericolor Slide Film
SO-279. Kodak announced the discontinuance of this product in July of 2003.
Small quantities *may* be available from some of the larger retailers ...
such as B and H, Adorama, Calumet, Samys, and etcetera..

Another "number" for the film you would need would be KODAK VERICOLOR Slide
Film 5072. This film is actually the long roll (100 foot roll) ordering
number for the "SO-279" mentioned above. Kodak's literature says ...

This film is intended for producing
same-size positive transparencies from color negatives or for
making reduced-size transparencies from larger negatives.
You can use this film for professional and photofinishing
applications with contact-printing or copying and
duplicating equipment. You can also use this film to copy
black-and-white line art to make reverse-text slides or crop
negatives to make tighter composition on transparencies.
This film is coated on an acetate base, and is available in
35 mm x 100-foot rolls (5072 Film) and 135-36 rolls
(SO-279 Film).
KODAK VERICOLOR SLIDE FILM / 5072

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../e24/e24.jhtml

Some additional information on SO-279:
KODAK VERICOLOR SLIDE SO-279
EI varies
Grain: Not stated
RP: Not stated
ID: SO-279
Vericolor Slide Film SO-279 is actually a C-41 color-negative film that
yields reverse-text slides, or slides from color negatives. It's suitable
for copying black-and-white line art to provide reversed-text slides and
for direct printing from color negatives or internegatives to produce color
transparencies. It provides good-quality copies, with near-original
contrast and color rendition.

Normal speed would be in the range of ISO/ASA 8, and (IIRC) it is balanced
for use with Tungsten light.

Fuji *may* have a similar film, but I am not familiar with their special
order products.

It may just be easier to find a commercial lab to make copies for you, or
to get one of the high-end Nikon scanners that has a 16 mm adapter and scan
the film directly. I know that their most expensive, the Super Coolscan
9000 ED has a 16 mm adapter. Maybe you could find someone that could scan
them for you.

Some additional references

http://www.photographic.com/film/37/index7.html

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...talog/kodakVer
icolorSlideFilmSo279.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../filmDatabankL
abFilms.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../e24/e24.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...talog/kodakVer
icolorSlideFilmVs.jhtml ],

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/pf-faq/faq-15.html

http://www.taphilo.com/photo/kodakfilmnumxref.shtml

Good luck.

ps.com...

Old March 1st 05, 06:43 PM

I would really like to thank you for your most detailed post.

You suggestion of using SO-279 which is available in 135-36 looks like
it may be the answer. I had thought about using the Kodak
Vericolor-5072 negative stock without the orange mask, but was daunted
by thought of buying 100 feet of it. Fuji also make a positive
"duplication" film called CDU-II which is similar to Kodak EDUPE, but
both are only available in 100 foot reels.

I will read through the references given in your post as soon as I get
a moment.