want a form granting permission to print photos from cd

Old January 24th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default want a form granting permission to print photos from cd

After photographing a relative's wedding, I want to give the couple a
CD with their photographs so they can make any prints that they want.
Does anyone have a form, or the text of a form, that I can give them,
stating that they have permission to make prints of the photos?
Thanks!

Old January 24th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I normally just write on the CD that they have permission to use them,
sign it, and put on my phone number in case there is a problem, but I
have never had a problem. By putting it on the CD, they can't lose the
permission slip.

Old January 25th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"bim" wrote in message
news:2006012415101116807%mrbim666nospam@hotmailcom ...
After photographing a relative's wedding, I want to give the couple a CD
with their photographs so they can make any prints that they want.
Does anyone have a form, or the text of a form, that I can give them,
stating that they have permission to make prints of the photos?

What makes you think they DON'T have permission by convention, or by
default?

Old January 25th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The law doesn't matter. What matters is that if you run into a 1-hour
photo shop to get some prints, they won't print them if they look like
"professional" images.

Old January 25th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2006-01-25 09:48:15 -0600, "ah2" said:

What makes you think they DON'T have permission by convention, or by default?

For practical purposes:
When making similar prints (portraits & weddings) from CD at SAM's
Club, Walmart and Walgreens, the clerks usually refused to give me the
prints until I presented permission from the photographer.
Many stores have this policy posted. Same goes when people scan or copy
photos that appear to be from a studio.

Old January 25th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article 2006012415101116807%mrbim666nospam@hotmailcom,
bim wrote:

After photographing a relative's wedding, I want to give the couple a
CD with their photographs so they can make any prints that they want.
Does anyone have a form, or the text of a form, that I can give them,
stating that they have permission to make prints of the photos?
Thanks!

Why do you need a form? Just tell the couple, "feel free to print the
photos on the CD." Seems pretty simple to me, or am I missing something?
Old January 25th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

bim wrote:

After photographing a relative's wedding, I want to give the couple a
CD with their photographs so they can make any prints that they want.
Does anyone have a form, or the text of a form, that I can give them,
stating that they have permission to make prints of the photos?
Thanks!

Why do you need a form? Just tell the couple, "feel free to print the
photos on the CD." Seems pretty simple to me, or am I missing something?

So they can prove, later, that what they did was legal, should you
change your mind and try to sue them for example. Or your heirs and
assigns, after you're dead. (Of course you wouldn't do that; but the
couple would perhaps rather have the agreement in writing). Also,
many photocopy and photo printing places make some attempt to enforce
copyright, and if people come in with a disk of clearly professional
photos, may refuse to print them. Having the written permission would
probably help there as well.
Old January 25th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Pat" writes:

The law doesn't matter. What matters is that if you run into a 1-hour
photo shop to get some prints, they won't print them if they look like
"professional" images.

I guess I'm not as good as I thought, then -- because they've never
made any issue about printing stuff I brought in :-).
Old January 26th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

So they can prove, later, that what they did was legal, should you
change your mind and try to sue them for example. Or your heirs and
assigns, after you're dead. (Of course you wouldn't do that; but the
couple would perhaps rather have the agreement in writing). Also,
many photocopy and photo printing places make some attempt to enforce
copyright, and if people come in with a disk of clearly professional
photos, may refuse to print them. Having the written permission would
probably help there as well.

Take the CD to a printer. If they refuse because the images are "too
good", and for whatever kooky reason you want to continue to do
business with then, then you pull out the "permission slip" you
printed on fancy-ass letterhead you found in the Internet. Use lots of
flowery legal mumbo-jumbo, add signatures and witnesses to impress the
minimum wage flunkies at the counter. Feel free to include your
partner's phone number so they can "confirm" the permission slip is
completely on the up and up.

Old January 26th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2006-01-26 11:46:06 -0600, said:

then you pull out the "permission slip" you
printed on fancy-ass letterhead you found in the Internet

THAT ("permission slip") is what I'm looking for.