Nikon Z6 vs Sony A7 III and lenses

Old August 31st 18, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nikon Z6 vs Sony A7 III and lenses

On Aug 31, 2018, newshound wrote
(in article_MKdnQOy8tOJNBTGnZ2dnUU78bXNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 31/08/2018 17:48, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 31, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 13:18:53 UTC-4, wrote:
On 30 Aug 2018 08:49:21 GMT, wrote:

So, my current setup is a Sony A7 III, a Nikon D800E and a Nikon Df, and
a real assortment of lenses.

With the Z6 getting off to a rocky start review-wise, it's still a pretty
interesting camera, and easily comparable to the first Sony A7.

My latest thinking, before the Z6 was announced, was whether I would go
full Sony. The A7 III is truly an amazing camera in every respect.
Fastest focusing I've ever seen, and razor-sharp focus at that.

But, all my high end lenses are Nikon, and I really really love the Df,
so I’m not sure I could abandon ship entirely.

I shot a wedding a few weekends back, using the D800 for most of the
posing shots and the A7 for the mingle shots. The difference in sharpness and
laser sharp focusing is palpable! And I came away thinking that I should
use the A7 exclusively for all my shoots.

But then, the Z6, and what it may promise for the future. And
specifically what it may mean with regards to keeping all my wonderful Nikon lenses,
with a full-featured adapter.

**** just got really hard!

With all that committment in Nikon, you'd actually consider jumping
ship? What about flashes and other accessories? Can you use your Nikon
glass effectively on the Sony?

Also, I didn't know the Z6 was getting bad reviews. Kind of surprised
since it's so new.

Whiners crowing mostly about "only one card slot!"

...and AF, AF-C tracking, Eye-AF, no vertical grip with controls, just an
auxillary battery holder, bad shutter black-out in CL, and CH, and noisy
mechanical shutter. Add to that list, the not particularly revolutionary
three initial release native *S* lenses. The only thing the Z6& Z7 have
going for them is the ability to use some, but not all legacy Nikkor glass.
Other than those who are part of the Nikon marketing machine, none of the
individuals who have reported back after the release event tryout have any
illusion that these could be considered pro level cameras. They are over
priced consumer level cameras which are five years behind Sony, and the
other mirrorless manufacturers. The jury is still out with regard to third party
lenses.

These cameras are not going to revolutionize the FF Mirrorless market by
poaching Sony a7 III, & a7R III sales, they are going to sell to Nikon
enthusiast/hobbyists with fat budgets, and who are reluctant to leave the
Nikon fold.

It will be interesting to see what FF MILC Canon delivers in a few weeks.

I have no axe to grind in this war as I remain an APS-C shooter with no
plans to go FF. It is just interesting to see the development, and the hype Nikon
is using to come into the FF MILC market.

+1

Large and medium format will always have its users, just a declining
number. Like you, I reckon APS-C now does what once needed FF. It even
does broadcast quality video. I've been at a couple of (outside) events
recently where BBC reporters were just using iPhones for radio interviews.

With APS-C I am curious to see what Fujifilm will bring when they announce
the X-T3 with its new sensor, and some feature changes from the X-T2, and
X-H1.

Currently my Fujifilm APS-C cameras and glass, along with my very idle these
days D300S, and Nikkor glass meets my non-pro needs.

For me a move to FF MILC, or even DSLR with Nikon would mean a whole new
investment in FX glass as the Nikkor glass I have now is all DX with three
exceptions. So If I was going to go larger than APS-C I would probably just
skip FF and go to MF with the soon to be announced Fujifilm GFX-50R which is
going to be at about the same $2,000 price point as the new Nikon Z6, and
deal with that new glass. However, I don’t see that happening unless I have
some unexpected cash windfall.

Savageduck

Old August 31st 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/31/2018 7:51 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article , wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

I'm just curious. I have no interest in acquiring the Z6 or any
other FF cam.

The Z6/Z7 reception has been mixed, especially considering the sheer awe
reception of the A7 III. There are lots of reviewers that really like the Z
line from Nikon though.

And yeah - jumping ship is a huge step, and I really love my Nikon glass. So I
don't know. I got the Commlite adapter now, so I'll try it out with some Nikon
lenses and see how the AF works on the A7

I am in the middle of a decision. Thinking about trading in my D800. my
D500 is perfectly fine and meets all my needs, except for WA, and color
tonality.

--
PeterN
Old August 31st 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/31/2018 8:10 AM, Sandman wrote:

snip

Some of these are valid complaints, some we should give the benefit of a doubt
until real review units are on the streets. Like battery life, apparently there
may have been some misunderstanding about that, so we'll see.

I figure the battery life issue will be remedied, as Nikon did with the
D500. I like the concept of dual slots. However, I can afford to wait a
few months.

--
PeterN
Old August 31st 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/31/2018 12:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Your post is interesting. my interest is the cost of replacing my Nikon
lenses, and the usefulness to me, of a working articulating viewer.

--
PeterN
Old August 31st 18, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 31/08/2018 22:56, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Fair point, MF is going to fall in price sort of in line with Moore's
law. It's the cost of all those kilograms of glass which bothers me! Not
to mention the weight (as a non-studio photographer).

---

Old August 31st 18, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 31, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I still have my D300S and a fair amount of mostly DX glass, but none of that
has been used in more than a year.

I am well invested in the Fujijfilm X system with X-E2, X-T2, and X-E3, and a
pretty good selection of glass: XF14mm f.2.8, XF16mm f/1.4, XF23mm f/2.0,
XF35mm f/1.4, XF18-55mm f/2.8-4.0, XF55-200, and XF100-400mm. I have a few
other lenses on my wish list.

The X-T2 gives me a tilting screen which has proven to be useful.

My thinking is at this point, if I ever considered going to a larger sensor
than my current APS-C it would be to MF with the soon to be announced GFX-50R
at about $2,000, but then I would be buying Fuji MF glass rather than Nikkor
FF glass.

Savageduck

Old September 1st 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/31/2018 6:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 31, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Whatever floats your boat. The main reason I wold go to mirrorless is
the articulating viewfinder. While my D500 has one, focusing through it
is a PITA, except for street, which I rarely do.

--
PeterN
Old September 1st 18, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 31, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

My thinking is at this point, if I ever considered going to a larger sensor
than my current APS-C it would be to MF with the soon to be announced GFX-50R
at about $2,000, but then I would be buying Fuji MF glass rather than Nikkor
FF glass.

It seems that the $2,000 price point for the GFX-50R was a bit of rumor
wishful thinking. It turns out the 50 megapixel medium format sensor of the
Fujifilm GFX alone costs $2,000! So it seems that it is going to be tough to
price the GFX-50R below $4,000. So, beyond a fanciful lottery win I guess I
will remain in the APS-C World.

Savageduck

Old September 1st 18, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 30 Aug 2018 08:49:21 GMT, Sandman wrote:

[...]

Can't figure that one, really. Makes no sense if these are really
"pro" cameras. My Oly has dual slots and, well, they've come in really
handy more than once.
Old September 1st 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 09:48:33 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

It will be interesting to see what FF MILC Canon delivers in a few weeks.

I have no axe to grind in this war as I remain an APS-C shooter with no plans
to go FF. It is just interesting to see the development, and the hype Nikon
is using to come into the FF MILC market.

Same here. I'm a m4/3 shooter and *very* content with my current gear.
No plans to make any changes regardless of what comes on the market.

Unless it's a positively killer m4/3 body, of course. ;-)