Insight into the amazing new Polariod x530 point and shoot...

Old July 1st 04, 06:01 AM
Georgette Preddy

Default Insight into the amazing new Polariod x530 point and shoot...

The chip's specs have been publically released...

- 800 x 600 x 3 layer video at 27.7 fps
(could exceed quality of all 3-CCD video cameras)
- 640 x 480 x 3 layer video at 43.4 fps
- 355 x 266 x 3 layer video at 141 fps
- 4.5MP still images at 8.8 fps
- 77% fill factor (if SD10 is indication, maybe ISO 2400)
- Automatical dark frame subtraction

Old July 1st 04, 07:38 AM
Mark M

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...
The chip's specs have been publically released...

- 800 x 600 x 3 layer video at 27.7 fps
(could exceed quality of all 3-CCD video cameras)
- 640 x 480 x 3 layer video at 43.4 fps
- 355 x 266 x 3 layer video at 141 fps
- 4.5MP still images at 8.8 fps
- 77% fill factor (if SD10 is indication, maybe ISO 2400)
- Automatical dark frame subtraction

To decode Preddy's fuzzy math, it is usually necessary to divide all large
numbers presented by either 3 or 4.

Old July 1st 04, 12:56 PM
E. Magnuson

On 2004-07-01, Georgette Preddy wrote:
The chip's specs have been publically released...

Then perhaps you should read them instead of making the numbers up:
http://www.foveon.net/prod_f19.html#specs

- 800 x 600 x 3 layer video at 27.7 fps

Wrong, there is no 800 x 600 mode.
However, it could do 710x530 at about that rate.

- 640 x 480 x 3 layer video at 43.4 fps

Gee, Foveon still rates it at only 30FPS.
(This is likely the 710x530 mode skipping the extra pixels.)

- 4.5MP still images at 8.8 fps

Again, both Foveon and HanVision think that it's only 7 FPS.
Perhaps you should e-mail them about how wrong they are.

- 77% fill factor (if SD10 is indication, maybe ISO 2400)

Forgetting of course that the pixel-pitch is only 5um (as opposed
to the SD10's 9.8um.) Polaroid is only promising up to 400.
But then again, GP knows better than even the manufacturer, right?

--
Erik

Old July 1st 04, 02:13 PM
Jonathan Wilson

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:38:05 -0700, "Mark M"
wrote:

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
. com...
The chip's specs have been publically released...

- 800 x 600 x 3 layer video at 27.7 fps
(could exceed quality of all 3-CCD video cameras)
- 640 x 480 x 3 layer video at 43.4 fps
- 355 x 266 x 3 layer video at 141 fps
- 4.5MP still images at 8.8 fps
- 77% fill factor (if SD10 is indication, maybe ISO 2400)
- Automatical dark frame subtraction

To decode Preddy's fuzzy math, it is usually necessary to divide all large
numbers presented by either 3 or 4.

The other problem is that with HDTV becoming more mainstream I think
(1) that the top resolution wont be high enough... so its only going
to be consumer grade.

(1) I cant remember the specs, but I think they are close to 1024/x at
100line/sec scan rate... not sure the frames/sec.

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com
Old July 1st 04, 05:37 PM
bagal

heh heh heh

I knew this should be renamed the Paranoid X530 or maybe the Paranoid X5--30

hehe hee

das B

Old July 1st 04, 11:35 PM
DJ

- Automatical dark frame subtraction
No doubt required at ISO 50
Old July 2nd 04, 04:25 AM
George Preddy

On 2004-07-01, Georgette Preddy wrote:
The chip's specs have been publically released...

Then perhaps you should read them instead of making the numbers up:
http://www.foveon.net/prod_f19.html#specs

I'm reading them direct from Foveon's official distributor.

- 800 x 600 x 3 layer video at 27.7 fps

Wrong, there is no 800 x 600 mode.
However, it could do 710x530 at about that rate.

Quoting from the offical press release...

"Frame Rate The frame rate depends on the exposure settings. These are
maximums for the rolling shutter mode with the exposure shorter than
the frame time. Many more scan combinations are possible than these
shown. Values are with a 40 MHz clock.

Pixel Matrix Frames/sec
1420 x 1064 8.8
1280 x 1024 (SXGA) 10.1
1024 x 1024 12.7
1024 x 768 (XGA) 16.9
800 x 600 (SVGA) 27.7
710 x 532 35.2
640 x 480 (VGA) 43.4
355 x 266 141.0"

Man, are you ever wrong.

- 640 x 480 x 3 layer video at 43.4 fps

Gee, Foveon still rates it at only 30FPS.
(This is likely the 710x530 mode skipping the extra pixels.)

- 4.5MP still images at 8.8 fps

Again, both Foveon and HanVision think that it's only 7 FPS.
Perhaps you should e-mail them about how wrong they are.

- 77% fill factor (if SD10 is indication, maybe ISO 2400)

Forgetting of course that the pixel-pitch is only 5um (as opposed
to the SD10's 9.8um.) Polaroid is only promising up to 400.
But then again, GP knows better than even the manufacturer, right?

I'm reading/quoting the actual press release, why aren't you? My
numbers are perfect, yours are made up. As always.
Old July 2nd 04, 05:27 AM
E. Magnuson

On 2004-07-01, Georgette Preddy wrote:
The chip's specs have been publically released...

Then perhaps you should read them instead of making the numbers up:
http://www.foveon.net/prod_f19.html#specs

I'm reading them direct from Foveon's official distributor.

And I cited Foveon's official website. If you have a URL, post it.
Your word alone is worth little here.

Pixel Matrix Frames/sec
1420 x 1064 8.8

This number is the result of a 40MHz clock divided by the number of
photosites. The HanVision camera only claims to supports 7 FPS. So
there may be a difference between theoretical and the practical. Or
when they switched the part from a 33 MHz clock to a 40 MHz clock,
they forgot to update the specs.

1280 x 1024 (SXGA) 10.1
1024 x 1024 12.7
1024 x 768 (XGA) 16.9
800 x 600 (SVGA) 27.7

Hmm. Seems like these modes are not using VPS, but are just addressing
a subset of the base 5um pixels. So while you can do it, it's not likely to
be useful for photography (e.g. small pixels, increased crop factor, etc.)

Man, are you ever wrong.

It's certainly possible.

I'm reading/quoting the actual press release, why aren't you?

Unlike you, I *did* provide the link that is the source of my
information. If I am wrong, it's because Foveon has published
incorrect data. But right now, it's Foveon's published information
(as of Jun 30 via the link I gave) versus your veracity in reporting
2nd hand information.

--
Erik