120 developing tank

Old February 4th 04, 11:01 PM
M&M

Default 120 developing tank

Ok, dumb question:

I have a Nikor developing tank I use for processing a single 120 roll. The
tank requires 1 liter of fluid.

Do I really have a 220 reel and tank?

Old February 4th 04, 11:47 PM
jjs

"M&M" wrote in message
Ok, dumb question:

I have a Nikor developing tank I use for processing a single 120 roll.

The
tank requires 1 liter of fluid.

Do I really have a 220 reel and tank?

Probably. When you load 120 film, is there a lot of the reel unused?

Old February 5th 04, 12:21 AM
d23

More likely you have a tank that is able to hold two reels, one on top of
the other.
Charles Portland OR

Old February 5th 04, 12:32 AM
M&M

Probably. When you load 120 film, is there a lot of the reel unused?

It takes one reel, and yes, a good portion of the reel is unused. I must
have a 220 reel then...

Old February 5th 04, 01:00 AM
jjs

"M&M" wrote in message

Probably. When you load 120 film, is there a lot of the reel unused?

It takes one reel, and yes, a good portion of the reel is unused. I must
have a 220 reel then...

I have one of those. If you don't like using it, sell it on e-bay. I've been
offered some serious bucks for mine because loading the squeezed down,
tightly rolled 220 reels made to fit a standard tank can be a nightmare. But
do it soon. 220 B&W is on its way out.

Old February 5th 04, 05:18 AM
Mike

Just my luck. I do find it difficult to load 120 film...would a smaller
reel be any easier? The other downside is that I waste .5 liters of
developer each time...

Old February 5th 04, 11:32 AM
Nige

"Mike" wrote in message
Just my luck. I do find it difficult to load 120 film...would a smaller
reel be any easier? The other downside is that I waste .5 liters of
developer each time...

I don't know the tank you mentioned, but every tank I've seen holds the reel
on it's side, so you won't save any chemistry (unless you use higher
dilutions) as you need to put enough liquid in to cover the reel, and that
won't change for a 120 or 220 film.

Nige.

Old February 5th 04, 12:02 PM
Dan Quinn

R: "Mike" wrote

The other downside is that I waste .5 liters of
developer each time...

You waste as much as I've ever put in my one liter tank. Dan
Old February 5th 04, 12:08 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Nige" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Just my luck. I do find it difficult to load 120

film...would a smaller
reel be any easier? The other downside is that I waste

..5 liters of
developer each time...

I don't know the tank you mentioned, but every tank I've

seen holds the reel
on it's side, so you won't save any chemistry (unless you

use higher
dilutions) as you need to put enough liquid in to cover

the reel, and that
won't change for a 120 or 220 film.

Nige.

If this is the tank I think it is its quite a bit larger
in diameter than the standard Nikor SS tank. It has a large
diameter reel for 220 film, I think it may also take a reel
for 70mm film. They are not very common but I did see one
for sale at the Buena Park sale a few weeks ago.
This is not ideal for 12O because of the need for double
the amount of solution.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 5th 04, 01:35 PM
Dennis O'Connor

A smaller reel will be worse yet... It may be that you are using excessive
tension while rolling... That will always cause a problem.. Also, squeezing
the sides of the film to narrow it will cause problems...
The real (reel key is having the film slide between your thumb and
forefinger which are resting gently on the rim of the reel to position the
film square to the reel and at the correct angle and only pull just enough
to keep the film from twisting as it winds, etc... One extra ounce of
tension beyond that, and it all goes off into the weeds...
Waste a roll of film to use for practice while you waste time in front of
the boob tube... By the end of another wasted evening you should be able to
whip that film into the reel while standing on your head..
cheers ... denny

"Mike" wrote in message Just my luck. I do find it
difficult to load 120 film