Finally a P&S that isn't a piece of crap?

Old March 7th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

Default Finally a P&S that isn't a piece of crap?

This has possibilities.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ons/index.html
Old March 8th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jufi[_4_]

"Rich" wrote in message
This has possibilities.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ons/index.html

I've done some reading, and I think it will fail. First problem is the size
and weight. I know it's a wide range zoom, and contains a bunch of features,
but it's huge. Why bother? Why not just carry an SLR?

Second item is the lens. Nice range, but the camera appears to have a
significant purple fringing issue. I've seen a few samples and it's
painfully obvious. the specs are really great, but the execution is flawed.

Old March 8th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_12_]

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:49:45 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:

This has possibilities.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ons/index.html

Cameras like that make me curious where the term P&S (Point and Shoot)
comes from and actually means. I mean, my D200 is also a P&S if you
put it in the program mode and autofocus with autoselect focus sensor.
And many P&S cameras have a wide range of manual selections that take
them out of P&S mode.

Maybe "compact" vs. "non-compact", or "SLR" vs. "non-SLR". I think
the distinction most people make between the types is "fixed lens" vs.
"interchangable lens".

That FinePix S100FS is bigger and heavier than a Nikon D40x with the
kit lens. So is the D40x more of a P&S camera than the S100FS?

Steve
Old March 8th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

Rich wrote in
:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...s100fs/specifi
cations/index.html

The big problem with all those super-zoom P&S cameras is the tiny sensor.
Small sensor = reduced sensitivity = lots of noise and poor color range
If image quality is important to you, you are much better off with a P&S
camera that has a bigger sensor and smaller zoom range. I think there are a
few P&S cameras out there with the same size sensors as entry-level DSLRs.
Old March 8th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 8, 10:39 am, Steve wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:49:45 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:

This has possibilities.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...pix_s100fs/spe...

Cameras like that make me curious where the term P&S (Point and Shoot)
comes from and actually means. I mean, my D200 is also a P&S if you
put it in the program mode and autofocus with autoselect focus sensor.
And many P&S cameras have a wide range of manual selections that take
them out of P&S mode.

Maybe "compact" vs. "non-compact", or "SLR" vs. "non-SLR". I think
the distinction most people make between the types is "fixed lens" vs.
"interchangable lens".

That FinePix S100FS is bigger and heavier than a Nikon D40x with the
kit lens. So is the D40x more of a P&S camera than the S100FS?

Steve

So there is an overlap - why is that a problem? Superzooms, even the
bad ones, seem to have a reasonable market - I'm one of the clients of
this camera's ancestors (Fuji S9000).

The new S100 has a lens range of 28-400, fully stabilised. So can you
supply the pricing and weight for a D40x with an equivalent stabilised
lens range? (O:

Yes, you will get a bit better IQ and low-light performance from the
larger sensor of the Nikon.

But there are swings and roundabouts - 28-400 without changing lenses,
completely silent shooting, no dust on the sensor, excellent video
capability, flash synch at all speeds, and only one 'thing' to
carry... It is also very interesting that it uses both sensor *and*
optical stabilisation - does this mean it will be better than the two
alternatives, I wonder?

Those things may or may not be important to you, but they are to me.
My old s9000 has a much smaller sensor than this new one, but it is
still a very capable camera at ISO400, and ISO 1600 is noisy but still
useful. It is rare that I lust for the low-noise of a DSLR, and it is
*frequent* that the Fuji goes with me to places where I don't want to
lug a camera bag and three lenses. And having used SLR's for many
years in my earlier days - having a camera that does not require lens
changes and that can be with me at all times, is very pleasant
indeed. And on a few occasions it has meant I have captured a
fleeting moment that I would have been lucky to get with the SLR...

The newer superzooms are achieving very acceptable AF speeds, so that
really just leaves sensor noise/IQ as the one remaining problem (oh,
and also the lousy manual focus ability of most of these cameras...!)

It's probably too good to be true, but I applaud Fuji for using a 2/3
sensor without going overboard with resolution, and mating it to a
decent lens with stabilisation. Sony failed with their R1 (larger
sensor, smaller lens range, butt-ugly camera), maybe this one might be
the better way to go.

(But I still wish the lens designers would come up with a decent
24-200. That is the sweetest range for me...(O
Old March 8th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Rich" wrote in message
This has possibilities.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ons/index.html

It's not a P&S.

Old March 8th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

"sally" wrote in message
Rich wrote in
:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...s100fs/specifi
cations/index.html

The big problem with all those super-zoom P&S cameras is the tiny sensor.
Small sensor = reduced sensitivity = lots of noise and poor color range
If image quality is important to you, you are much better off with a P&S
camera that has a bigger sensor and smaller zoom range. I think there are
few P&S cameras out there with the same size sensors as entry-level DSLRs.

Fuji did increase the size of the sensor in this one and added image
stabilization, two very nice features that interest me. I'm not a follower
of P&S cameras (and I don't consider this Fuji a P&S) but the only compact
P&S with the same size sensor as a DSLR tht I'm aware of is the Sigma DP1
which uses the same sendor as their SD14 DSLR.

Old March 8th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote in
:
Fuji did increase the size of the sensor in this one and added image
stabilization, two very nice features that interest me.

According to dpreview.com:
Fuji s100fs sensor size: 8.8 x 6.6 mm =
Nikon D40 (the cheapest DSLR on the market) sensor size: 23.7 x 15.5 mm
The SLR sensor is almost 3 times as big in both directions. The Fuji may be
a little better than other P&S cameras, but it is still a far cry from a SLR.

Amazon.com sells the Fuji for $800 and the Nikon D40 for $500.
The Fuji is also bigger and heavier than the Nikon.
There may be a market for the Nikon, but I am not in it.
Old March 8th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote in
:
Fuji did increase the size of the sensor in this one and added image
stabilization, two very nice features that interest me.

According to dpreview.com:
Fuji s100fs sensor size: 8.8 x 6.6 mm =
Nikon D40 (the cheapest DSLR on the market) sensor size: 23.7 x 15.5 mm
The SLR sensor is almost 3 times as big in both directions. The Fuji may be
a little better than other P&S cameras, but it is still a far cry from a SLR.

Amazon.com sells the Fuji for $800 and the Nikon D40 for $500.
The Fuji is also bigger and heavier than the Nikon.
There may be a market for the Fuji, but I am not in it.