enlarger question

Old January 3rd 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default enlarger question

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not unless you want to
cut the frame.

Don't know what you mean by "most Beselers", but I can tell you that all
23Cs can easily be aligned. I've done it on mine and others. There are
screws that can be loosened and adjusted to align it in both (x and y)
axes.

Perhaps the earliest 23C's but the 23CII and 23CIII are (according to
Beseler) permanently aligned at the factory. I have the 23CII in storage
and I never found it more than merely adequate. I contrast my Durst,
Omega and even the Elwood are much more of a pleasure to use.

JD
Old January 3rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
John wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

The best lens ever made can't make an out-of-focus image sharp. A good
chassis with good alignment should be the basis for any enlarging. I'll
take a well-aligned Durst with a triplet over a poorly aligned Beseler
with an APO lens every day of the week.

Yes, but the Beseler can easily be aligned, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not unless you want to
cut the frame.

JS

Define adjusted. The MXT can.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 3rd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

If at first your Beseler won't align, get a bigger hammer.
Not only won't they align, but they tend to wiggle when you put a
reasonably large lamp house on them.

Old January 3rd 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"John" wrote

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not
unless you want to cut the frame.

The 4x5's can. The others ???

FWIW, IMO: I have had Omega and Beseler 45's and they both
do an adequate job. It is a Ford Vs Chevy argument: both
are perfectly adequate, neither is spectacular, and the
choice between them supplies endless unresolvable debate.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old January 3rd 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

"John" wrote

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not
unless you want to cut the frame.

The 4x5's can. The others ???

FWIW, IMO: I have had Omega and Beseler 45's and they both
do an adequate job. It is a Ford Vs Chevy argument: both
are perfectly adequate, neither is spectacular, and the
choice between them supplies endless unresolvable debate.

I agree completely have used both D5XL and the MXt
both do just fine, each has pluses and minuses.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 3rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:54:32 -0600, John
wrote:

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not unless you want to
cut the frame.

JS

January 3, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Exactly the reason I bought a Durst. I even
bought a gizmo sold to adjust the negative
stage. I never got any joy from it. I loved
my Beseler for years, but the Durst
outclasses it in every regard.

For a communal darkroom, used Durst L1200
chassis are pretty much invulnerable, and
available relatively cheaply due to digital,
which I don't dig at all.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old January 3rd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote

For a communal darkroom, used Durst L1200
chassis are pretty much invulnerable

I loved the little Durst I had. But like
most things Italian, the lack of parts,
accessories and service negated much of
the charm - and this was when Durst was
still alive and kicking. OTOH, if a
Durst L1200 showed up at my place I
would probably overlook all that.

The other high-end enlargers that sometimes
go for a song are DeVere, Eseco and ZBE.
Unfortunately, they are, or are soon to be,
orphans.

Old January 3rd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

G- Blank wrote:

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

"John" wrote

Actually most Beselers can't be adjusted. Well, not
unless you want to cut the frame.

The 4x5's can. The others ???

FWIW, IMO: I have had Omega and Beseler 45's and they both
do an adequate job. It is a Ford Vs Chevy argument: both
are perfectly adequate, neither is spectacular, and the
choice between them supplies endless unresolvable debate.

I agree completely have used both D5XL and the MXt
both do just fine, each has pluses and minuses.

I can adjust my MXT all day. But can't get it into alignment

But then "alignment" is a relative term...
Old January 3rd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

John wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
John spake thus:

Creeker wrote:

Only thing I would disagree with is a Democracy gets corrupt when the
peopel get lazy and selfish.

Could someone point me to a Democratic government ? I don't remember
ever seeing one.

Do you mean democratic or Democratic?

I'd be happy to have both ! Someone in office again with some fiscal
responsibility would be a good start.

Note that to the best of my knowledge the last truly democratic
government existed in Athens.

You mean we aren't creating a real democracy in Iraq?
While here at home a secret NSC government empowered
by dubya's imperial presidency is spying on Americans
without consent and suspending habeas corpus?

You mean to tell me the neocons aren't democratic...?
Old January 3rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:

You mean we aren't creating a real democracy in Iraq?
While here at home a secret NSC government empowered
by dubya's imperial presidency is spying on Americans
without consent and suspending habeas corpus?

You mean to tell me the neocons aren't democratic...?

As you know I am not a ardent supporter of the current
adm, but the media has really played this up. If anyone believes
the government has not done this kind of stuff prior they are nuts.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com