6x6 Folders

Old December 27th 05, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default 6x6 Folders

I am looking to pick up a small 6x6 folder for casual shooting, and
would like opinions on which are the most usuable for an eyeglass
wearer, and will handle relatively fast. I used to have a Zeiss
530/16, and found the focusing to be near impossible, but the size and
lens quality were very impressive.

The camera will have to have an X sync and an accessory shoe.
Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old December 28th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"hassy_user" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to pick up a small 6x6 folder for casual shooting, and
would like opinions on which are the most usuable for an eyeglass
wearer, and will handle relatively fast. I used to have a Zeiss
530/16, and found the focusing to be near impossible, but the size and
lens quality were very impressive.

The camera will have to have an X sync and an accessory shoe.
Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

http://www.cleanimages.com/Article-M...YourPocket.asp
Contact Jurgen Kreckel if you need advice on these old folders.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old December 28th 05, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"hassy_user" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to pick up a small 6x6 folder for casual shooting, and
would like opinions on which are the most usuable for an eyeglass
wearer, and will handle relatively fast. I used to have a Zeiss
530/16, and found the focusing to be near impossible, but the size and
lens quality were very impressive.

The camera will have to have an X sync and an accessory shoe.
Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think you should give up on the 1950's point and shoots and
invest in a real camera, like a pentax 6x7, etc.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old December 28th 05, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Matt Clara" wrote:

The camera will have to have an X sync and an accessory shoe.
Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think you should give up on the 1950's point and shoots and
invest in a real camera, like a pentax 6x7, etc.

He wants something for informal shooting, so the Pentax is a bit over. But I
agree on the idea of looking for a more serious camera, personally, I'd
recommend a 3.5E or 3.5F Xenotar 'flex.

If he insists on folding, then Plaubel Makina, Fuji GS645, and the (not
folding but somewhat collapsible) new Mamiya 6 come to mind. Of those, only
the Fuji is somewhat affordable (last I checked, but it's somewhat rare) and
only the Mamiya is 6x6.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 28th 05, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

I already have a Rollei 2.8E, a Hasselblad 500CM system, and a Fuji
GW670II. I am looking literally for a pocket camera, as I got the
serious stuff pretty well covered.

Old December 28th 05, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"hassy_user" wrote:

I already have a Rollei 2.8E, a Hasselblad 500CM system, and a Fuji
GW670II.

Nice collection, there!

I am looking literally for a pocket camera, as I got the
serious stuff pretty well covered.

OK, my recommendation is the Fuji GS645. I've never used one, but my GS645S
has the sharpest lens I own.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 28th 05, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

hassy_user wrote:

I am looking to pick up a small 6x6 folder for casual shooting, and
would like opinions on which are the most usuable for an eyeglass
wearer, and will handle relatively fast. I used to have a Zeiss
530/16, and found the focusing to be near impossible, but the size and
lens quality were very impressive.

http://www.certo6.com/cam/ikonta.html

Super Ikonta III (bottom picture) is a great little camera. Make sure it has
the later coated opton tessar and you should be happy.
--

Stacey
Old December 28th 05, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"hassy_user" wrote in message
oups.com...
I already have a Rollei 2.8E, a Hasselblad 500CM system, and a Fuji
GW670II. I am looking literally for a pocket camera, as I got the
serious stuff pretty well covered.

When you find one, let us know how it compares in results to what the above
can produce. I've noted that scans of E6 transparencies (taken recently)
from cameras of this period (50s and 60s) require different settings to
compensate for the lower contrast. (Specifically, a clean Xenar in a mint
condition Rolleicord Vb, but an 80 f2.9 Baltar requires similar settings.)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old December 28th 05, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article ,
David J. Littleboy wrote:

If he insists on folding, then Plaubel Makina, Fuji GS645, and the (not
folding but somewhat collapsible) new Mamiya 6 come to mind. Of those, only
the Fuji is somewhat affordable (last I checked, but it's somewhat rare) and
only the Mamiya is 6x6.

Ensign Autorange and Agfa Super Isolette, if you can find one in good
condition, are supposedly pretty good, but they won't come cheap.
Old December 28th 05, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Sarah Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

If he insists on folding, then Plaubel Makina, Fuji GS645, and the (not
folding but somewhat collapsible) new Mamiya 6 come to mind. Of those,
only
the Fuji is somewhat affordable (last I checked, but it's somewhat rare)
and
only the Mamiya is 6x6.

Ensign Autorange and Agfa Super Isolette, if you can find one in good
condition, are supposedly pretty good, but they won't come cheap.

I have an Isolette, and I don't recommend them. At all.

Those things were contemporary with my 3.5 Tessar 'flex, and they're worlds
apart. The Isolette randomly produces sharp images in some parts of the
frame some of the time, the 'flex produces sharp images wherever you place
the plane of focus, every time. I'd like to replace the 'flex with a 3.5E
Xenotar, not only for the lens, but because mine has the old style shutter
lock that swings out of the way and seems really like to get broken off by
this klutz, so I don't use it as much as I'd like.

The KEH catalog just arrived in the mail, and they've got three GS645 75/3.4
folders.

Speaking of KEH, when I looked for 'blads there the other day, they had two
screenfuls of 500CMs for under US$900. All were gone today. I wonder if it
was Xmas or a Japanese buyer snapped them up for resale here.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan