"Your money is better spent on an SLR". Is it?

Old December 10th 04, 01:55 PM
Skip M

"Bruce Graham" wrote in message
. au...
In article om,
et says...
In article ,

says...
But that was not my point. The original proposition was that anyone
spending enough money on a non-SLR that could have bought them an SLR
was
spending that money unwisely.

"But your money WOULD be better spent on an SLR, which is why the
Canon
Digital Rebel did sneak into this guide"

I disagree with this statement, and invited comments. Clearly there is
place both high-end non-SLRs and for low-end SLRs, and the comments
made
may help people who are looking at spending that amount of money to
decide
what their next purchase will be.

David

I agree with you David.

For reasons I have posted many times (dirt problems) I have stayed away
from
taking a DSLR into the horse show ring.

I tried with the Digital Rebel, and even though I never removed or
changed
the lens, I couldn't get past about the 3 hour point without dust
contamination on the sensor.

I have looked at and dont like the cameras that have the ultra-sonic
cleaner,
so Im waiting for Canon to come up with something similar.

For now, I do my business with a Sony F 828, and a Fuji S7000 (shooting
raw
whenever possible) and its getting me through, though I would LIKE to use
better camera.

The Canons are well built, and well designed, but the dirt STILL gets in
where it shouldn't (the Rebel isnt the only one I tried).

If you were using a Canon consumer zoom, they change volume as you zoom
and so suck outside air into the lens and so into the camera. I think
the L lenses mainly zoom internally and at constant volume and so don't
suck dirt. I don't have experience of these, I've just read about it,
but it may be a pointer to help you.

Well, the 100-400 L sucks air like a vacuum cleaner, it is a push pull zoom
design, and not one I'm thrilled about putting in front of my 20D,
especially where it's dusty, like a race track, beach, horse ring...pretty
much anywhere the focal lengths come in handy.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 11th 04, 03:10 AM
bob

"David J Taylor" wrote in
:

I must confess that I don't agree with the statement, though. Whilst
SLRs do have capabilities that are different to non-SLRs, I don't
think that choosing a lighter, more compact camera that doesn't
require an expensive bag-full of lenses and accessories to make it
work to its fullest extent,

I got to thinking about how this thread would have run on r.p.e.35mm a few
years back.

It's amazing how quickly technology has moved that serious photographers
are moving from SLRs to lighter gear. I bet it's similar to the move from
Speed Graphics to 35mm decades back.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply