Experience of contrast on a Jobo LPL 7700...

Old October 19th 04, 01:35 PM
Andrew McCall

Default Experience of contrast on a Jobo LPL 7700...

Hi Folks,

A few days ago you may remember reading a post from me asking about
producing graded prints on variable contrast paper using my Jobo LPL
7700 enlarger.

Using the information from the Ilford PDF, I produced a range of
prints of the same image from grade 0 to grade 4. While I could
clearly see the difference between grade 4 and 3, the lower grades
didn't have quite as much difference as I expected.

Admittedly, I wasn't using Ilford paper I was using Jessops VC paper,
but I still expected there to be a bigger difference than there was.

I am pretty sure that the prints have been exposed and developed
correctly, and the density of the prints are all the same, but I am
still getting used to printing at home so I am not too sure if this is
just due to the settings on the enlarger.

Can anyone suggest anything that may help me improve my variable
contrast printing?

Thanks,

Andrew McCall
Old October 19th 04, 02:41 PM
Nick Zentena

Andrew McCall wrote:

Admittedly, I wasn't using Ilford paper I was using Jessops VC paper,
but I still expected there to be a bigger difference than there was.

Who makes Jessop paper? Different papers have different filter needs. If
you want softer remove some of the magenta and add some yellow.

Nick