Canon S1 IS flash card compatibility

Old June 28th 04, 05:51 PM

Default Canon S1 IS flash card compatibility

Hi,

Are there compatibility issues with compact flash cards for
the Canon Powershot S1 IS camera?

I've tried two different 512MB cards from one of the largest
major memory suppliers. Both have reported errors, up to
losing photos. Yes, I formatted the card, more than once, in
the camera. The supplier's tech support person says that the
camera is too new for a lot of feedback yet, and so he is
refunding my money, and next time I'll buy Canon brand cards
for 40% more. The supplied 32MB Canon CF card works fine.

Another idea is that maybe the camera doesn't like such large
cards, regardless of the brand.

More generally, are there any reported compatibility problems
with CF cards and cameras?

Are the more expensive Canon brand cards worth it?

Thanks.

Old June 28th 04, 06:05 PM
Jeff Durham

I am really surprised by that. If it was one card, I would say the card was
defective. Because you tried two different cards, I would suspect the
camera. You have not crossed the 2GB boundary either requiring you to use
FAT32. Do you know of anyone that could loan you a few other cards to test
with varying sizes? Also, is the problem reproducible immediately or only
after shooting quite a few pictures?

Try inspecting the pins in the camera where the card connects and make sure
none of them are bent.

Jeff

.. .

Old June 28th 04, 06:10 PM
Rick

wrote in message .. .
Hi,

Are there compatibility issues with compact flash cards for
the Canon Powershot S1 IS camera?

I've tried two different 512MB cards from one of the largest
major memory suppliers. Both have reported errors, up to
losing photos. Yes, I formatted the card, more than once, in
the camera. The supplier's tech support person says that the
camera is too new for a lot of feedback yet, and so he is
refunding my money, and next time I'll buy Canon brand cards
for 40% more. The supplied 32MB Canon CF card works fine.

Another idea is that maybe the camera doesn't like such large
cards, regardless of the brand.

More generally, are there any reported compatibility problems
with CF cards and cameras?

Are the more expensive Canon brand cards worth it?

Canon uses rebadged SimpleTech memory, so it's stupid to
pay more for the same performance.

I haven't heard of any compatibility problems with the S1
IS. We've been using 512MB and 1GB Sandisk Ultra 2
cards in ours without any problem whatsoever.

Rick

Old June 29th 04, 12:54 AM
Tony

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Are there compatibility issues with compact flash cards for
the Canon Powershot S1 IS camera?

I've tried two different 512MB cards from one of the largest
major memory suppliers. Both have reported errors, up to
losing photos. Yes, I formatted the card, more than once, in
the camera. The supplier's tech support person says that the
camera is too new for a lot of feedback yet, and so he is
refunding my money, and next time I'll buy Canon brand cards
for 40% more. The supplied 32MB Canon CF card works fine.

Another idea is that maybe the camera doesn't like such large
cards, regardless of the brand.

More generally, are there any reported compatibility problems
with CF cards and cameras?

Are the more expensive Canon brand cards worth it?

Thanks.

Using 2 Lexar 512MB 40x cards with no trouble at all.