BAMBOO LOVES THE FAB 5D2!

Old February 16th 11, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Default BAMBOO LOVES THE FAB 5D2!

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 16/02/2011 3:11 PM:
HDR,like it oughta be.

http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...192_xLyQS-O-LB

Anybody wanna guess how I made that one?

With a 5D2?

Seriously: it looks great. Well done!
Old February 18th 11, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Noons wrote:
On Feb 18, 5:14 am, Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 16, 5:48 pm, Noons wrote:

http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...h#1188993192_x...

Anybody wanna guess how I made that one?

With a 5D2?

Seriously: it looks great. Well done!

Sarah, does your dad know you're on his computer? Miss ya, sweetie.

I'll let the enormous stupidity of that remark stand on its own.

Ah, you're back. That'll teach ya to leave your computer unattended.
I appreciate the compliment, whoever it was from.

I don't leave my computer unattended.

I do, but I unplug the wire that goes from the main frame to the modem. When
disconnected from the outside world, it can't be impregnated.......

Old February 18th 11, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On Feb 16, 5:13 am, Noons wrote:

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 16/02/2011 3:11 PM:

HDR,like it oughta be.

http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...h#1188993192_x...

Anybody wanna guess how I made that one?

With a 5D2?

Seriously: it looks great. Well done!

Sarah, does your dad know you're on his computer? Miss ya, sweetie.

I'll let the enormous stupidity of that remark stand on its own.

Ah, you're back. That'll teach ya to leave your computer unattended.
I appreciate the compliment, whoever it was from.

I don't leave my computer unattended.

I do, but I unplug the wire that goes from the main frame to the modem.
When disconnected from the outside world, it can't be impregnated.......

Damn! Bill! What kind of people do you have in Oregon who would
impregnate a computer?
You would think they would use some sort of "protection".

Savageduck

Old February 19th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On Feb 18, 12:00*am, Savageduck

On Feb 16, 5:13 am, Noons wrote:

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 16/02/2011 3:11 PM:

HDR,like it oughta be.

http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...mJ8h#118899319

2_x...

.

Damn! Bill! What kind of people do you have in Oregon who would
impregnate a computer?
You would think they would use some sort of "protection".

Savageduck

That reminds me of the early days of computers when DEC had a computer
called the VAX.
As I recall the Operating System was pretty basic ... heck, it might
even have been BASIC.
You'd give it a command and if it was successful the prompt would say,
"Ready" meaning it was ready for the next command. If you typed
something it didn't recognize it would come back with an error message
like "That command cannot be completed" or something similar. You
could abbreviate the commands because it only recognized the first
three letters so SCR meant the Screen command and HEL might mean Help.

Anyway, this one guy I heard about was having a helluva time
communicating with this beast and he got so flustered he started
typing in cuss words. He'd suggest something obscene and the computer
would dutifully reply with, "That command cannot be completed."
Finally, at wit's end, he typed, "Screw you!"

The computer answered, "Ready."

Snoorfff! Snicker! Choke!

OK! I can breathe again. Everybody return to your previous positions.

Savageduck

Old February 19th 11, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 19/02/2011 11:39 AM:

That reminds me of the early days of computers when DEC had a computer
called the VAX.

Early days?
http://dcl.openvms.org/

As I recall the Operating System was pretty basic ... heck, it might
even have been BASIC.

Hmmm, you obviously don't recall well. It was one of the most advanced OS's ever.

You'd give it a command and if it was successful the prompt would say,
"Ready" meaning it was ready for the next command.

Urban myth. It said whatever you wanted it to say.
My prompt for a long time was a crocodile in character matrix.

three letters so SCR meant the Screen command and HEL might mean Help.

Akshally, SCR was never part or the whole of a command in DCL:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83fina..._contents.html

Anyway, this one guy I heard about was having a helluva time
communicating with this beast and he got so flustered he started
typing in cuss words. He'd suggest something obscene and the computer
would dutifully reply with, "That command cannot be completed."
Finally, at wit's end, he typed, "Screw you!"

The computer answered, "Ready."

Never get in the way of a good urban myth...
Old February 19th 11, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On Feb 16, 5:13 am, Noons wrote:

[...]

With computers, their "sex organs" are very long....ASAMOF, they streatch
all over the world....:^)

Old February 19th 11, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On Feb 18, 12:00 am, Savageduck

On Feb 16, 5:13 am, Noons wrote:

[...]

I remember the DEC VAX'es.....I think it would have been relatively simple
to reprogram it to say, "I beg your pardon!"

Old February 19th 11, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On Feb 18, 12:00 am, Savageduck

On Feb 16, 5:13 am, Noons wrote:

[...]

I like Jay Leno's statement last night about the guy that won an award for
best song with his, "FU". Leno said he is now working on a sequel titled,
"And the horse you rode in on."

Old February 25th 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 2/18/2011 7:52 PM Noons spake thus:

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 19/02/2011 11:39 AM:

Anyway, this one guy I heard about was having a helluva time
communicating with this beast and he got so flustered he started
typing in cuss words. He'd suggest something obscene and the
computer would dutifully reply with, "That command cannot be
completed." Finally, at wit's end, he typed, "Screw you!"

The computer answered, "Ready."

Never get in the way of a good urban myth...

Well, that part is not urban legend; probably happened just as related.

Reminds me of the mainframe I used as a student back in the
19-ought-80s, a Honeywell DPS-8. Some of the OS code was obviously
written by wisenheimers. I remember writing FORTRAN programs with "GOTO"
statements in them (The horror!). If you named the target of the GOTO
statement "JAIL" (hence "GOTO JAIL" in the program), when you executed
(ran) your program, the output printout would respond with:

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

(I guess this is what's technically called an "Easter egg", no?)

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Old February 25th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 2/24/2011 4:21 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Reminds me of the mainframe I used as a student back in the
19-ought-80s, a Honeywell DPS-8. Some of the OS code was obviously
written by wisenheimers. I remember writing FORTRAN programs with "GOTO"
statements in them (The horror!). If you named the target of the GOTO
statement "JAIL" (hence "GOTO JAIL" in the program), when you executed
(ran) your program, the output printout would respond with:

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

(I guess this is what's technically called an "Easter egg", no?)

Hey, I even found an online reference for this:
http://www.sanitarium.net/jokes/getjoke.cgi?63

With the FORTRAN compiler under the CP-V operating system on Xerox
Sigma computers, the program:

10 assign 10 to jail
goto jail

Would elicit the diagnostic:

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

BAMBOO LOVES THE FAB 5D2! Savageduck[_3_] 35mm Photo Equipment 0 February 16th 11 05:35 AM
D50 loves HDR Dica Digital SLR Cameras 0 May 18th 08 07:09 PM
Frosty Bamboo SamMan Digital Photography 9 November 4th 04 12:49 PM