Another Photo-Journalist added to the roll of honor.

Old January 29th 11, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Another Photo-Journalist added to the roll of honor.

On 2011-01-29 08:56:48 -0800, Alfred Molon said:

There was an Iraq war video on wikileaks showing a US helicopter
machine-gunning an AP photographer in Bahgdad. Apparently the guy on the
helicopter mistook the camera of the photographer as an RPG device.

Not nearly as bad as US Air Force F4 fighters strafing two US Coast

The Iraq footage is much worse than that event. Non combatants were
killed. It was one of the most disgusting displays of callousness I've
ever seen.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old January 29th 11, 10:38 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 1/29/2011 3:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:

As of 09:45AM, 1/29/2011, 1.41 Tunisian Dinar = $1US = €0.74
(...er, there's an Ap for that)

So your wide range guesstimate was not too close.

You remind me about the Chinese guy in San Francisco who pays for
everything with yuan. He reviewed his hotel bill.
The first day his lunch cost 100 yuan.
On the second day 110 yuan and on the third, 120 yuan.

He asked why the price was different even though he had the same thing
every day. the manager looked at the bill and said "fluctuations.

the Chinese guy said: "fluck you Amelicans."

--
Peter
Old January 29th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-29 13:33:05 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2011-01-29 08:56:48 -0800, Alfred Molon said:

There was an Iraq war video on wikileaks showing a US helicopter
machine-gunning an AP photographer in Bahgdad. Apparently the guy on the
helicopter mistook the camera of the photographer as an RPG device.

Not nearly as bad as US Air Force F4 fighters strafing two US Coast

The Iraq footage is much worse than that event. Non combatants were
killed. It was one of the most disgusting displays of callousness I've
ever seen.

Worse is subjective. Callousness is your opinion. In combat the normal
reaction is to neutralize a perceived threat, and sometimes that action
has to be taken in a split second. It is not a movie, or TV, or a place
for Monday morning quarterbacks.
Have you ever been under fire in a combat situation?
My little "meditation in green" was determined by a Selective Service
number of #54 and a 1-A status. Footage is one thing the results of the
event another.
You are making a categorical judgement based on what you saw in the
Iraq footage without any knowledge of the other event.
When US. Coast Guard Cutters, flying the Stars & Stripes are shot up
with multiple passes by USAF F4's with 20mm cannon, 5 inch Zuni
rockets, & 2.75 ARA rockets with flechette (beehive) loads, you don't
quantify the event. It was as bad for them as it was for the
photographer in Iraq.
One of the Cutters was sunk. The carnage continued with more strafing
runs on victims in the water. The skipper of one cutter was beheaded by
a rocket blast on the third pass while he tried to signal recognition
codes and stop the attack. The F4's made 8 runs and a B-57, which had
started the whole thing, dropped a string of cluster bombs on them.
Page was lucky to survive with shrapnel wounds to his arm, a flechette
penetration of his cheek, nose, and orbit of his left eye, a flechette
wound in the small of his back and a shrapnel slash to his inner thigh.
The executive officer lost both arms and a foot. There were several
other wounded. Four other crew and a Vietnamese interpreter were killed
When you are being killed it doesn't matter much if you are a
non-combatant, or not, when you are being killed by your own side.

....and Page was a non-combatant photographer.

Savageduck

Old January 30th 11, 02:01 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Nebenzahl

On 1/29/2011 12:49 PM Savageduck spake thus:

On 2011-01-29 11:09:09 -0800, David Nebenzahl said:

On 1/29/2011 6:41 AM Bowser spake thus:

On 1/29/2011 3:10 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/28/2011 10:56 PM Rich spake thus:

On Jan 28, 4:39 pm, Savageduck wrote:

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after
being hit in the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in
Tunis while covering the disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...-lucas-mebrouk...

Maybe like hockey players did, one day they'll finally start
wearing protective helmets during riots in violent, Third World
ratholes? Even a bike helmet would have saved the guy.

I'm sure Tunisians would love to hear their country referred to
that way ... but of course, who cares about them? Their lives
aren't worth as much as ours are.

That's true. But what's the exchange rate?

Pretty easily calculated, using news stories in the MSM and their
relative ranking (i.e., page placement in the newspaper, etc.).

I figure it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 50:1 to 100:1.

As of 09:45AM, 1/29/2011, 1.41 Tunisian Dinar = $1US = €0.74
(...er, there's an Ap for that)

So your wide range guesstimate was not too close.

So what does the currency exchange rate have to do with it? I think you
may have missed my point here, which is the "value" of human life.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Old January 30th 11, 02:14 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:22:29 -0500, peter
wrote:
: On 1/28/2011 4:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
:
: French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit in
: the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering the
: disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.
:
: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/
:
:
: Those guys put as much on the line, with less backup than the bravest of
: troops. I have nothing but admiration for them.

And now photographers, probably including some of the same ones, are taking
similar risks to bring us the truth about what's happening in Egypt.

The U.S. is being begged and cajoled to take on a major role in helping rid
Egypt of Hosni Mubarak. We won't, of course. For nearly two generations
American policy in the Middle East has been dictated almost exclusively by
Israel, and Mubarak is as close to a friend as Israel has in the Arab world.
But at least Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are saying some of the right
things, calling on Mubarak to reform his government and stop trying to crush
the protests. That's as much as we can expect; and quite frankly, most
Americans don't know what course of action would lead to a good outcome in
Egypt. All we know for sure is that whenever we try to throw our weight
around, things seem to get worse for whomever we're trying to help.

As for what our attitude would be in the best of all possible worlds, I prefer
this excerpt from our declaration of independence from Great Britain in 1776:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that
they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights; that among
these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these
rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from
the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes
destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
abolish it and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such
principles, and organizing its power in such form, as to them shall seem most
likely to effect their safety and happiness."

If only.

Bob
Old January 30th 11, 02:51 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-29 11:09:09 -0800, David Nebenzahl said:

[...]

For me still 1:1.

Savageduck

Old January 30th 11, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:27:32 -0800, Savageduck

On 2011-01-29 13:33:05 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2011-01-29 08:56:48 -0800, Alfred Molon said:

There was an Iraq war video on wikileaks showing a US helicopter
machine-gunning an AP photographer in Bahgdad. Apparently the guy on the
helicopter mistook the camera of the photographer as an RPG device.

Not nearly as bad as US Air Force F4 fighters strafing two US Coast

The Iraq footage is much worse than that event. Non combatants were
killed. It was one of the most disgusting displays of callousness I've
ever seen.

Worse is subjective.

Me, I'm wondering how they tell the "non-combatants" from the suicide
bombers. I guess if you check the body and don't find an explosive
vest under the civilian clothes, it's a non-combatant. Or, if it's a
civilian who has already planted and covered up an IED he or she
reverts to non-combatant status.

The suicide bomber who killed 52 Iraqis in Tikrit in January managed
to leave a pretty disgusting display of callousness.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 30th 11, 03:28 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bill Graham

Savageduck wrote:

For me still 1:1.

Yes. If, "All men are created equal", that's a pretty good ratio.
Old January 30th 11, 04:28 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Nebenzahl

On 1/29/2011 5:51 PM Savageduck spake thus:

On 2011-01-29 11:09:09 -0800, David Nebenzahl said:

[...]

Again, you miss my point.

For me it's 1:1 too. But that's not the conclusion any Martian would
come to if they were to come down to Earth and observe the relative
worth placed on American lives and non-American lives in the US.
Evidence? Just watch the news or read a newspaper ...

Old January 30th 11, 04:41 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: On 2011-01-29 11:09:09 -0800, David Nebenzahl said:
:
[...]

Actually, I'd bet money that I watch the news and read a newspaper just as
much as you do. And I think you're full of ****.

Bob